Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Bashing

Options
  • 17-06-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

What's all this EU bashing of late? I mean, just scan through this section of the board and you see this negative baiting of the EU. Some of the criticism is constructive but the majority is just over the top! And this I believe is totally out kilter with the pro-EU opinion of the majority of Irish people.

I think we just need to step back and take the long view.

The lessons will be learned from the NO vote to the Lisbon treaty. A way will be found to get a solution and make the EU a better community for all of its citizens.

So come on could we stop the EU bashing please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Haha you gotta be kidding, right? What i've read so far has all been in response to comments made by EU representatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bizzare OP. For the first time ever on boards.ie the EU has been on the wrong end of some posters questions/thoughts and already its too much? This could be the start, who knows. All depends on what happens in the next (insert time period here).

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think it's a natural reaction to the Ireland bashing we've heard from europe over the last few days. Ok maybe what they said was an emotional reaction and they have since tried to be a little more cordial but so too are most people's reactions to their comments emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PH01 wrote: »
    What's all this EU bashing of late? I mean, just scan through this section of the board and you see this negative baiting of the EU. Some of the criticism is constructive but the majority is just over the top! And this I believe is totally out kilter with the pro-EU opinion of the majority of Irish people.

I think we just need to step back and take the long view.

The lessons will be learned from the NO vote to the Lisbon treaty. A way will be found to get a solution and make the EU a better community for all of its citizens.

So come on could we stop the EU bashing please?

It is quite instructive, really, given the extent to which absolutely every No campaigner said "oh, we're not anti-EU, we're just anti-Lisbon".

By the way, if you think this place is bad, politics.ie is like a lunatic asylum.

wryly,
    Scofflaw

Lots of CAPITALS over there! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

speaking of EU bashing.........

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSYMpuCFaQ

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

clown bag wrote: »

That's very good - quite a few home truths in that! The Commission is a bit of a poser, alright. They're always going to be perceived as the elite core as long as they remain the technocratic centre of the EU, but unfortunately, nearly all the solutions are worse than the problem.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Nigel Farage could make good points, but he generalizes everything and always has a go at the EU, so one just tends to dismiss him. And the rest of those clowns in the Independence Democracy group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol, that's hilarious.

I remember watching that, I was awkardly impressed cos the UKIP isn't my kind of party tbh but everything he said was correct. A rum bunch. I guess finding clean politicians is nigh on impossible when you have so many factions to please. Many nominees are put forward cos its handy to get rid of them from national politics.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Thanks for this, I had the best laugh at the way that UK Politician spoke about corrupt EU commissioners before been ratified into the commission by EU MEP’s.

They (the EU commissioners) made Bertie Ahern's money problems in the Mahon tribunal look like an innocent school boy mistake. :eek:

Up to today, I considered sending Bertie to the jail house. But now, I think the whole lot of the EU commissioners (except that gorgeous blond Swedish commissioner Margot Wallström) to Guantanamo. They can send Margot Wallström to me instead to keep me company.:D
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Advertisement