Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to leave your car keys at night

Options
  • 17-06-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

It's night and you're going to be leaving an expensive car out in the driveway or on the road at the mercy of the thiefs, so where do you leave your keys???
    I have an absolute definitive answer to this question...

LEAVE YOUR KEYS NEAR THE DOOR!!!!!!!!!

My house went up in smoke on sunday night/monday morning & if my keys had been upstairs or hidden away somewhere i'd be dead now i wouldn't have been able to get out
    No car is worth your life, if your like me and your car keys and your house keys are kept together leave them near the front door where you can get them easily in case of emergency
    In a house fire chances are the lights will be gone, there will be smoke everywhere & you will be disorientated enough by being in the house without having a 15 minute search for your keys

So.. my advice for what it's worth, leave them where you will find them at night in the dark if a thief breaks in & takes your car you can claim it on the insurance it's only a car, your life is worth far far more!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Sorry for your loss - but why, if your house was burning down and your keys were missing would you care about a car? It's just a car!

My car keys are currently 8 feet from a 2 year old Rottweiler. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

MarkN wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss - but why, if your house was burning down and your keys were missing would you care about a car? It's just a car!

My car keys are currently 8 feet from a 2 year old Rottweiler. :D

Eh I think so you can unlock the front door and get out. I really feel for the OP but surely in case of fire, at night while I'm in bed, wouldn't the keys be as well off on the bedside locker (as mine are), keeping them away from opportunistic thieves too... Although I'm in a G.F. apartment so I guess the stakes are lower for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I dont get it....did you need your keys to get out of your house? Personally all my doors have key locks on the outside only and hand bolts on the inside, if the house were on fire I would not care less about the car ( quiet in case the car hears me speak such blasphemy)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As above, why would/should you need your car keys to get out of the house?

I need to undo one mortice lock to get out of the house (everything else opens from the inside, key outside), and its not like I've only the one key for it - theres one on my car keys; but theres another beside the door. In fact, its patently dangerous/stupid having only one set...

Also, I ain't gonna be able to find my way out of the house without my glasses. Which are right beside my car keys anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MarkN & fitzgeme - Read first, then type!;)

OP - Sorry to hear about that. I leave my keys in my jeans pocket, in case of a fire I think i'd have them on before I woke up!

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »

OP - Sorry to hear about that. I leave my keys in my jeans pocket, in case of a fire I think i'd have them on before I woke up!

I can read fine - I don't have my keys for my home with my car. I have a single key for my car, if I lose my house keys, I can change the locks, if I lose my car keys, someone can go searching for a nice car.

Most houses these days have a dead lock on the door which you just turn, maybe what this thread should say is leave your house keys near the front door - I'm sure I'm not alone in keeping my car and house keys seperate.

Like I said, sorry for the OPs loss - that's the main thing, at least you got out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I always bring my keys with me to bed, but I wouldn't need them to get out of the house anyhow - the locks on front door can be opened from the inside without keys, just need to turn a couple of hand bolts. This is fairly recent though... I had to get the locks changed last year after s gang of chancers tried to break in while I was in bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am also full literate thanks.....still can figure why you would need your keys to get out of your house unless you are stupid enough not to fit you doors with hand lock on the internal aspect as all modern door locks come with...if you have an old lock dont lock it and fit a bolt to the inside of the door, locking yourself into a house is just plane stupid. Anan1 I am glad to hear you sleep in your jeans....do they not get a bit smelly.?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maybe what this thread should say is leave your house keys near the front door - I'm sure I'm not alone in keeping my car and house keys seperate.
    That's what it did say:
    angelfire9 wrote: »
    if your like me and your car keys and your house keys are kept together leave them near the front door where you can get them easily in case of emergency
    :)
    Like I said, sorry for the OPs loss - that's the main thing, at least you got out!
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

pulp_fiction_koons.jpg

Take a Guess.

• Advertisement

That's what it did say::)
    Agreed.

Car keys Anan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sorry for your troubles OP...

Personally I keep car and house keys separate. My car was robbed a few years ago and I reckon to this day that I left the keys in the door earlier that evening because I was carrying shopping.

In my house now I have one of those stupid locks that need the key from the inside, so I always leave the keys in the lock in case I've to get out in a hurry. I have more of a fear of a fire than any fear of people getting in. Furthermore the car keys are separate so it's not an issue (not that it would be with a '99 Mitsubishi Carisma).

Keep car and house keys separate, but also get locks on the doors that can be readily opened from the inside. Why these aren't a legal requirement on all houses, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Separate keys are the way to go. I keep mine beside my bed, i can then grab them quickly if I need to, even if its pitch dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Take a Guess.
    :D:D:D

I leave my car keys in the hall / kitchen / sofa / wherever they land.
    I leave the alarm fob in my trouser pocket though.

Partly because the bit that holds the fob on the key ring broke a while back and partly because I know that if scumbags rob the keys, the alarm will go off and they'll leg it when it happens (without getting the car to start).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Anyone think that the OP could now be going around to all your houses to rob your cars since s/he knows where your keys are!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kmart6 wrote: »
    Anyone think that the OP could now be going around to all your houses to rob your cars since s/he knows where your keys are!;)

I knew it was a bad idea putting my address in my profile:mad:

Your screwed man,the OP is def going to track you down,you have it narrowed to such a small area!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Your screwed man,the OP is def going to track you down,you have it narrowed to such a small area!
    :D

/nails front door shut and prepares tinfoil hat....

...its gonna be a looooong night

Don't forget the clothes hangers!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I leave them under my pillow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

In this day and age, nobody should need a key to get out of their house. They should change their locks to turn knob type things. As far as I know, this is a fire safety regulation on new builds....Might also extend to windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

In this day and age, nobody should need a key to get out of their house. They should change their locks to turn knob type things. As far as I know, this is a fire safety regulation on new builds....Might also extend to windows.

As a matter of interest my house insurance company INSISTED that i have a dead bolt lock on front & Back doors of house so i need to have a key to open the door! In the new door i intend to have two locks fitted, one that can be opened from the inside without the key and a deadbolt for use when i am out of the house only!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

CyberGhost wrote: »
    pulp_fiction_koons.jpg

Take a Guess.
    not sure i have room up there

anyway the best place for your keys are in your shoe. last place anyone will look ..... until now

Martron wrote: »
    anyway the best place for your keys are in your shoe. last place anyone will look ..... until now

I left the house on monday morning with no shoes on, no trousers, no jacket, literally just a tee shirt difficult to dress in the dark when the panic sets in and believe me it did! :(

ok in event of a fire i will depart my house through opening in window crreated by my old ass tv.

P.s. i am not making joke of your house. sorry to hear about it

i thought this thread was in the event of your car being stolen and insurance companies not paying out as you did not make a good enough effort to hid your keys. i should not have to hid the keys of MY car in MY house if someone feels lucky enough to try and get them in my pre mentioned hiding place i will unfortunatly will introduce an nine iron to his his/her head

Martron wrote: »
    i thought this thread was in the event of your car being stolen and insurance companies not paying out as you did not make a good enough effort to hid your keys. i should not have to hid the keys of MY car in MY house if someone feels lucky enough to try and get them in my pre mentioned hiding place i will unfortunatly will introduce an nine iron to his his/her head

The point I was making was that I would rather leave my keys near the door and risk having the car stolen than hide them somewhere / anywhere in the house and have to search for them which in the event of a fire could delay an escape from the house

Bottom line: its easy to replace a car (under insurance cover or not) it's impossible to replace a life!

i agree. maybe the point is .... lie to the insurance company about the location of the keys and leave them on the inside or the door;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I leave them in the ignition. So obvious that no one ever looks there ;)

Advertisement