Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wild duck with eight young uns

• 17-06-2008 8:46pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Just by chance on Sunday I noticed a bit of splashing in a small river and lo and behold on closer inspection there was a lovely brown duck with eight ducklings following her. I have seen her three times alltogether. She is wild I presume, as no one has ducks nearby. She has speckled markings not unlike a thrush. Anyone know what breed this is? There was a duck around the same area last year also.

I may get a pic yet but I don't want to get too close or frighten her. What a glorious sight to see her leading her babies up the river. I hope the foxes don't get any of them. She's one busy lady with that lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Probably a mallard, did she look like this?

a-mallard-4.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Yep thats like her alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It sounds like she raised a second brood too, it being this late in the season. Chances are though only a few will make it. Nature is beautiful but there are reasons why she produced eight wee ones....

Advertisement