Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pannier for Specialized Globe hybrid

Options
  • 17-06-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi guys,

can anyone tell me where i can get panniers for my 58" speicaled globe hybrid? i love the commute i'm doing but hate the back pack that i need to bring.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Do you need a rack to put them on, or just the bags? Any bike shop should be able to help you out, or alternatively the internet- www.chainreactioncycles.com, www.wiggle.co.uk, etc. Ebay worth a look too. I got mine second hand from someone through Buy & Sell.

Bear in mind that once you have a rack you can strap just about anything to it with bungee cords, including a backpack. I really only use my panniers for touring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 watch-man

ideally i'm looking for a rack so i can throw the rucksack on it and take it with me and when i get where i'm going take it off and bring it inside

thanks

This one looks decent, or this one- maybe slightly less side support for panniers but looks like it might have a light attachment on the back which is invaluable for winter commuting (back of the pannier rack is the best place for your rear light.)

Alternatively check with your local bike shop who will fit the rack for probably not much more.

not bad, but i was hoping for a side based one as i'd be afraid of a top mounted one falling off (unless i bury it in bungee hooks)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Honestly, good pannier bags don't need back mounting, mine just have a shoulder strap, and they're fine to carry without a bike (I actually use them for wet gear when windsurfing too)

They're basically these...
    http://actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/vaude-aqua-back-plus-p-1789.html

I paid about 95 euro for the pair, 2 and a half years ago, worth it for sure!

• Advertisement

watch-man wrote: »
    not bad, but i was hoping for a side based one as i'd be afraid of a top mounted one falling off (unless i bury it in bungee hooks)
    Pannier bags just clip onto the sides of a rack and don't need any bungees. You can get pretty good with the bungees strapping stuff on top of a rack though, I have got two 5ft bookcases and a ~8ft Christmas tree on the back of my bike (admittedly not simultaneously.)

just looking for a few clips/racks to throw my rucksack on fellas.

any suggestions?

watch-man wrote: »
    just looking for a few clips/racks to throw my rucksack on fellas.

any suggestions?
    Sorry, I'm completely lost as to what you are looking for here. Maybe post a picture.

Ah ok, I think I get you- you want to mount your existing bag to a rack like that? As far as I know that won't be possible, to mount like that you will need to get special pannier bags like Civilian_Target suggested. More options from CRC or Wiggle. If it is just for commuting there is no need to splash out on something very expensive. Waterproof is nice but you can always use a bin liner in a non-waterproof bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Meh, I've tried ****ty pannier bags and I wouldn't go back.
    If you think you'll use them, spend the money... small ones have crap capacity, don't hold on to the bike well and are a pain in the ass to carry around as well.

Only problem, mine are all in black, and because of the wires on the back, the London Underground tried to defuse them!

There is a happy medium though, you could go above Argos and still below Civilian_Target's. €95 was a good price for them but don't feel you have to spend that much. Reckon I will be getting proper waterproofs after torrential rain on a recent cycle though, not used to touring in a wet country ;-)

Advertisement