Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

age difference: how old is too old or does it really matter??

Options
  • 17-06-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy ladies!

Looking for your opinion on this.

Have always gone for men at least 10 or 15 years older than me; dont know why, just like them better than guys my own age; im 26.

My friends always think its a bit odd.....

but when is too old too old; 15/20yrs age gap or does it matter??

Comments

If your happy then screw everyone elses opinion.
    Personally I am gone off older men, they have more issues at this stage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well I'm 40, so how you doin'? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ask Lolita? Snuck out a few times with a young prof when a teen, until my Da found out. Shortly after, you could see the mushroomed shaped cloud over our home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I dated 2 men over 20 years my senior. Our lifestyles clashed at times but it was good while it lasted. Didnt help that i was only 21 with the first one and wanted to party. And 25 with the 2nd one and still wanted to party.

Much older now so dont know if it would make much difference as my wild days are long gone.

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Much older now so dont know if it would make much difference as my wild days are long gone.

Well expect for the possbility that they might be approaching their nappy years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

It shouldn't matter. If you click with someone who cares about the age gap.. Unless it bothers you what other people think.:confused:

A close friend of mine is going out with a guy who is 20 yrs older than her and they couldn't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks. They are madly in love..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Well expect for the possbility that they might be approaching their nappy years.

Good point, hadnt thought of that :D

Although it was a running joke with my second older man that i would push him in his chair to the side of the dance floor and change his nappies when the time came :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

No way. . . why should age matter???

I'm 23 and LOVE an older guy. Would have no problem seeing someone 15/20 years older than me if it felt right!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I like my older wimmenz! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

no such thing as love, lust yes, pure animal lust now thats a different ball game

It shouldn't matter. If you click with someone who cares about the age gap.. Unless it bothers you what other people think.:confused:

A close friend of mine is going out with a guy who is 20 yrs older than her and they couldn't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks. They are madly in love..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I've dated older guys, but tend to prefer them closer to my own age now. It's more of an equal relationship, plus you're in the same life stages so you get to figure things out together; makes a stronger bond. But that's only been my experience, and everyone who's saying do whatever makes you happy is absolutely right.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Parsley wrote: »

How many do you have?? :eek:

Parsley wrote: »

That's pretty much all of them for you though, isn't it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Zaph wrote: »
    That's pretty much all of them for you though, isn't it? ;)

Ooh that was low! :pac:

Low age that is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

If your happy enough, then why care what anyone else thinks!
    I wouldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

And they like me too!

I like to think. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Young or old- you know what you want, you know what you want.

Me personally around the same age or older. Young 'uns tend to be a bit.. giddy or something. That said there are some bright sparks 'oo know what they want ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I would say that it doesnt really matter about age as long as you click!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

old boy wrote: »
    no such thing as love

:eek: :eek: :eek:

old boy wrote: »
    no such thing as love, lust yes, pure animal lust now thats a different ball game

So what you are saying is; you never stay with a woman after the 'lust' long enough for the love to happen? or is it you just dont want to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He has no choice in the matter. After the 30 seconds of underwhelming smelly sex he's left alone muttering to himself about love being a made up emotion and damning his small todger to hell.

Pighead wrote: »
    He has no choice in the matter. After the 30 seconds of underwhelming smelly sex he's left alone muttering to himself about love being a made up emotion and damning his small todger to hell.

Veering closely towards personal abuse territory. Behave yourself Pighead.

Pighead retracts the nasty comment. Let it be stated for the record that old boy has a massive todger.

Zaph wrote: »
    Veering closely towards personal abuse territory. Behave yourself Pighead.

You've taken him up completely wrong brother Zaph. He wasnt being abusive, hes speaking from experience, was merely a heart to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm pleased with the thoughts on this thread.
    There may be hope for me when I become a first year again. :)

Abigayle wrote: »
    You've taken him up completely wrong brother Zaph. He wasnt being abusive, hes speaking from experience, was merely a heart to heart.
    Damn straight sister. It was personal abuse.

Abigayle wrote: »

Tut tut Abi, I can't admonish the porcine one about slagging off others for the size of their manhood, and not do the same to you when directed towards Pighead himself.

Relative penis sizes have nothing to do with age differences, back on topic please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

If you're both happy, go for it. The only thing I'd be bearing in mind if you see this being a long term relationship is to think towards the future and the practicalities - if he's 20+ yrs older, chances are you will have to "settle down" a lot sooner than you might be prepared for (you're still in your 40s with a lot of energy, while he is drawing the pension and not really up for the month long holiday trekking up Machu Picchu) and also there is the factor that statistically it's very likely that you will spend a far longer period as a widow than if you had gone for a chap closer to your own age.

I'm not trying to be morbid or anything, but I have seen a good few marriages where one was 20 yrs older than the other, so for eg. when the wife was only 55, her husband was bedridden at 76, and dead at 78. Not something anyone wants to be thinking about, but if it is to be a lifelong thing (ie talk of marriage etc) it is a consideration unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If you are happy, it shouldn't matter about ages and your friends should be happy that you are happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

BrynW wrote: »
    If you are happy, it shouldn't matter about ages and your friends should be happy that you are happy!

Within reason and legality.

Advertisement