Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moved house, new network....strange problems!

Options
  • 17-06-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

ok so i'm in a new 4 bedroomed house, my bt modem router is at the tv point in the living room (front) feeding a modified xbox running xbmc from an ethernet cable. my main desktop pc (with media library running xp) is in the back spare room (office) connecting through a wireless card. my wife both have wireless laptops (vista) connecting wirelessly.

everything is pretty much fine except for two things:

i run bitcomet on both my laptop and pc, and get a yellow light on the pc and a green light on the laptop. all firewalls and port forwarding set up (as far as i know) correctly. why is this? the pc runs zonealarm and the laptop windows firewall.

my pc connection speed is erratic bordering on terrible...this has only happened since the move (in the old house it was connectecd to the modem via cable, not wireless) it says signal strength is excellent, but it doesnt seem like it! file downloads are intermittant (good speeds to zero and back until the download is complete) i'm assuming its the wireless connection but its not that far away....the router is behind my entertainment centre (5.1 amp, tv, dvd etc..)

all other net connections are fine...so why is my pc slow?

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Have youn placed any other 2.4Ghz items near your computer? i.e. wireless phones.... These can affect your wireless signal.
    Also, is your laptop good in the same room as your PC?
    One other thing.....What's the brand/Model of the wireless card you use for the PC - some are real useless.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

no other wireless devices are near the router, the laptop seems fine in every room. the wireless card is a belkin

well i have to say sorry then - i have no other ideas atm.

You could try problem solving, by trying different solutions

i.e.
    1) does the problem exist if it's a wired solution (therefore something on the PC)
    2) if the PC was nearer the Router (wireless connection) - potential electronic interference from back room....
    3) Change wireless card to a different make or upgrade software.....possible cause the card itself......

Look at what could be causing it and try and cut down on the number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

thats the thing, i've racked my brain and i cant understand why its bad, theres nothing interfering with the pc in the back room (no other electronic devices)

I ran a cable from my attic down to my living room - surely you could run one through the wall? put a wall mount on each side to make it look nice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement