Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Tan

Options
  • 17-06-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Need a little help here....have loads of weddings/parties coming up and i need to start wearing fake tan as i'm milkbottle white(i hate the sun!!!) Usually I just put on sunshimmer or something but i have so many events in the space of a month that i'll spend the whole time applying and washing it off!!
    So I need a tan that'll last a few days between applications, look as natural as fake tan can and hopefully (and i know i'm asking the earth here) not smell too bad!!
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Need a little help here....have loads of weddings/parties coming up and i need to start wearing fake tan as i'm milkbottle white(i hate the sun!!!) Usually I just put on sunshimmer or something but i have so many events in the space of a month that i'll spend the whole time applying and washing it off!!
    So I need a tan that'll last a few days between applications, look as natural as fake tan can and hopefully (and i know i'm asking the earth here) not smell too bad!!
    Any suggestions?

If you need it quick try loreal sublime mist. It doesnt smell and looks well on, not orange. And there is 25% off in DUnnes at the moment, its normally 20 a bottle.

But for a more longer lasting option try one of the moisutrisers that are tinted, they build up gradually and are less likely to get blotchy when fading as you are constantly adding to it but moisturising at the same time.

I dont do sunbeds myself due to the risk factor but damn if they were safe it would be so much easier. Applying false tan sucks :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The fake tans look fake. Light exposure to the sun is healthy for skin and hair (about 15-20 minutes a day), as with all things kept in moderation. I keep a light sun tan. Some will claim risks associated with the sun, but you also have risks associated with chemicals on the skin.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Fake Bake FTW

The fake tans look fake. Light exposure to the sun is healthy for skin and hair (about 15-20 minutes a day), as with all things kept in moderation. I keep a light sun tan. Some will claim risks associated with the sun, but you also have risks associated with chemicals on the skin.

But we live in Ireland, we are lucky to see 20 mins of sun a week :D

Its pissing rain outside - our summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I always use sunshimmer, so much easier..but its a pain in the ass when you spill something on it and it washes off straight away. Come soff on the edsheets too :(

Will keep an eye on this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Trinity1 wrote: »
    But we live in Ireland, we are lucky to see 20 mins of sun a week :D

Its pissing rain outside - our summer :D

i got a tan from working in the fields at the weekend you should try that op! :D

Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

St Tropez is really the best, if you are good at putting it on.

Believe it or not the Penny's tan wipes come second.

Bit of Milton in the sink with water and a nail brush afterwards for your hands.

Nitrile gloves are great for putting on fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

A spray tan in a salon - lasts ages..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

i got a tan from working in the fields at the weekend you should try that op! :D
    Ha! I'll bet you have no tan lines above your belt too!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ha! I'll bet you have no tan lines above your belt too!:cool:

the farmers tan has been respected for generations and is a legit colour scheme!honest.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

A spray tan in a salon - lasts ages..

If it's something special, it's gotta be a spray tan. Otherwise, St Tropez or Lancome Flash Bronzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fake tan generally looks like ****, is easy to tell its fake, and looks ****.. It's just so horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Fake tan generally looks like ****, is easy to tell its fake, and looks ****.. It's just so horrible :(

Ah to be fair now, the OP wasn't asking your opinion on it, she was asking about how she should do her tan/ what tan to use.

OP, I took the advice of some of the boardsies and invested in the St Tropez everyday tan, it's a moisturiser with tan in it. works a lot better than johnsons, dove, nivea etc I find. I would go for a light spray tan though, might be too expensive if you are going to a lot of things.

Introduce the colour gradually anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Any good tans for the paler among us? I'm oh so milky-skinned and while it doesn't really bother me, sometimes I like the look, I like to have a little bit of colour! Bronzer just streaks and tans are always too dark, they never match my make-up (I used to wear Bobbi Brown shade 0- Porcelain!)

Start with the gradual ones like St Tropez everyday or Dove, Nivea etc but don't go for the darker shade coz it can look terrible if you are quite pale skinned! Go for the one suited to your colouring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Please pardon my stupidity in the matter but what's so bad about pale skin, I've never really understood this fake tan addiction that many girls seem to have?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

Thanks for the advice....i think i'll invest in St tropez and hopefully that'll last. Was gonna get some spray tans but a girl in work had an absolute disaster with one last week so thats but me off.

farohar wrote: »
    Please pardon my stupidity in the matter but what's so bad about pale skin, I've never really understood this fake tan addiction that many girls seem to have?:confused:

My reasons for liking it is

a) it can hide a multitude of blemishes
    b) if light and natural looking it can look healthy, I have black hair and can look like Morticia Adams some days
    c) this may be wishful thinking but it can give the impression that you are more toned than you are for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

b) if light and natural looking it can look healthy, I have black hair and can look like Morticia Adams some days
    c) this may be wishful thinking but it can give the impression that you are more toned than you are for some reason.

Would agree - tan makes me feel slimmer for some reason:confused:. Mind over matter prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I have black hair and can look like Morticia Adams some days

nothing wrong with that imo.

i've mixed opinions on fake tan on girls, if done right it's nice, but it's like football fans the small minority give them all a bad name, the minority in this case would be the oompa loompas.

also who am i to bad mouth something if it makes the person feel better about themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

farohar wrote: »

I've milk bottle white (verging on blue) skin and if I go out without it I spend the night having the piss taken out of me and also have people ask me if I'm cold constantly. I use Johnson's holiday skin just to give me skin a warm tint. All these people say fake tan is terrible blah blah but then when they see the alternative (my real colour) they take the piss!

Definitely, although I'm not that pale that I look like Morticia. It's the same with make up it helps m to feel confident and I feel (if it's done right) that I look healthier.

Also, for my legs i think it's great especially if you do the thing (that you can do with bronzer) of shading more on one side for the appearance of longer/slimmer legs. I similarly do this at my cleavage (:p) coz it's only teeny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I'd go with some slightly bronzing lotion not the tanner in this case, if you apply them every day the result is very pleasant and doesn't look like a tanner at all, just takes the (pasty) edge off your colouring. No streaks either, very even result.

Vichy Nutri-Sun comes to mind, it moisturises beautifully and gives just the right light sun-kissed shade so the total effect is very healthy & natural looking beige skin.

Maybe it's just me but I can spot tanner from half a mile, and most of these girls probably think "oh I'm the exception, I can do it well" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Clink wrote: »
    I've milk bottle white (verging on blue) skin and if I go out without it I spend the night having the piss taken out of me and also have people ask me if I'm cold constantly.

Tell them to feck off, really, milk white is beautiful! Do you have your makeup etc matched to your actual pale complexion? I'd say that current trends can look fabulous on white but if you're trying for a more tanned look and your makeup doesn't go well with your natural complexion it may look washed out or sickly - been there myself, a real Morticia, now I stopped trying and I get compliments all the time, I guess Dita von Teese has helped a lot, thanks Dita!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well thanks for sharing your views on reasons for using these products. I just find it odd that skin tone (well for the most part; e.g. genuinely yellow skin usually = liver problems, yellow fingertips = smoker) would factor into the evaluating the health of a potential partner, general complexion (spots & blemishes) obviously would, but didn't think skin tone would work against a person. If it makes you feel better about yourself somehow fair enough.
    As for people taking the piss out of someone for being pale, that's just childish and rather sad IMO! Guess we've really abandoned our heritage if pale skin is to be shunned like this (in the séanscéal the typical beauty was pale skinned with rosy cheeks and dark hair).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Clink wrote: »
    All these people say fake tan is terrible blah blah but then when they see the alternative (my real colour) they take the piss!
    Exactly,ya just cant win!

The best fake tan out there is Make Believe tan extender. I used it after I saw it won best fake tan on 'how to look good naked'. It is so natural and is perfect for pale Irish skin.

panda100 wrote: »

The best fake tan out there is Make Believe tan extender. I used it after I saw it won best fake tan on 'how to look good naked'. It is so natural and is perfect for pale Irish skin.

WHere do you get that? Think it depends how you put it on. Hate moisturising and that but suppose it gets better results.

I had it done professionally in the salon few weeks ago, was nice but when fading it looks like you have lepresy (sp)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

panda100 wrote: »

the new best self tan on how to look good naked is actually Garnier Ambre Solaire No Streaks Bronzer Dry Body Mist came out top with a score of 76%

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/H/htlgn/reviews/selftan.html

*Don't ask how I knew it was something different just except and move on people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

WHere do you get that? Think it depends how you put it on. Hate moisturising and that but suppose it gets better results.

I had it done professionally in the salon few weeks ago, was nice but when fading it looks like you have lepresy (sp)

Its in boots.You can buy tester tubes for 15 euro's.Im pretty sure its in Brown Thomas too. I dont tan at all,type 1 skin, and this is the only gradual tanner that doesnt come up streaky or orange looking.
    However,If I had a wedding or soemthing importnat I would get a St Tropez spray tan done in a salon.

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/H/htlgn/moisturisers_with_fake_tan.html .........Ah mine won best moisturiser with fake tan. The garnier one I think is awful.Very orange and unnatural,but that probably beacuse Im very pale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

Pythia wrote: »
    If it's something special, it's gotta be a spray tan. Otherwise, St Tropez or Lancome Flash Bronzer.

Have to second Flash Bronzer, not cheap at 30 euro, but I can't find one that does just as good a job and doesn't smell horrid (the stink off of St Tropez!!)...tends to last a good while too..im very pale, so thats saying something :D

Advertisement