Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

animals became wild because of humans

• 17-06-2008 10:01pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I read an interesting piece lately (can't for the life of me remember where) that all animals at the beginning of time were tame and had no fear of humans. Because humans then hunted and selected animals for their use, fear of the human developed and evolved through generations of wild animals.

Eden must have been one cool garden!!:cool:

What do you think of this theory?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I wonder was the reverse true too? Humans (or our precursors) having no fear of poisonous/dangerous creatures.

I know that we are now 'pre-programmed' to fear spiders and snakes etc and also to react to certain tastes that can indicate poisons.

I guess there is still evidence of the tameness of animals in places like the Galapagos where you can wander up to animals, and even in places like the Saltees you can get within a few feet of thousands of Gannets and they don't really mind at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

While it can't really be said for certain if its true or not its very much true of some uninhabited islands where even in very recent times animals with no real fear of humans have been observed particularly birds as Roen said.

I would doubt its fully true of all animals but I suppose theres no real way of knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

artieanna wrote: »
    I read an interesting piece lately (can't for the life of me remember where) that all animals at the beginning of time were tame and had no fear of humans. Because humans then hunted and selected animals for their use, fear of the human developed and evolved through generations of wild animals.

It's nonsense to a large degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's nonsense of course because there were many many predators before man came on the scene. This ideal island where all the animals are tame can only exist if for some reason there are no predators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But don't animals recognise, or learn from their parents / peers, what other species are considered dangerous and what aren't? Certain species seem to get on just fine living in close proximity in the wild if they know they aren't a threat to each other, so why shouldn't that apply to humans as well if they were at some point in history non-hunters and therefore not a threat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Complete rubbish.
    It suggests that man is the only hunter out there !
    I know that we are now 'pre-programmed' to fear spiders and snakes etc

No we're not.

I remember seeing a programme some 10+ years ago dealing with fear/phobias etc. and it showed a group of toddlers in a room playing. A big (but harmless) snake was released and wound it's way through them. Most adults would have been horrified in a similar situation, but the kids kept playing and some even grabbed the snake.

Moral of the story - you have to be taught to fear !

I don't think artieanna is saying that all animals lived in harmony or anything like that.
    I think whats meant by it is that there may have been a point in ancient history when a lot of animals hadn't yet seen humans as a big danger.

And presumably there were instances somewhat similar to this with some animals in the past when humans were migrating away from where we originated, even now there are areas and islands where humans don't live and some animals in these places are bizarrely tame around humans.

As far as I remember David Attenborough did a piece on one of his programs about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

gerky wrote: »
    I don't think artieanna is saying that all animals lived in harmony or anything like that. I think whats meant by it is that there may have been a point in ancient history when a lot of animals hadn't yet seen humans as a big danger.

I agree. One of the theorys put forward for the sudden extinction of the magnificent american mega-fauna was the sudden arrival of the native americans from about 13000 years ago. None of the animals regarded the humans as a danger - they where not "programmed" to regard them so. And so with 300-400 years most of the large animals where gone - three distinct species of elephant, giant bison, the horse and of course they fearsome carnivores that preyed on these animals now had nothing to eat so they became extinct too.

This always happens when humans move into areas they had never been before - Australia, New Zealand, Mauritious (the Dodo anyone?).

You can contrast this with Africa where the mega-fauna there evolved alongside humans so where well aware of mans capability. It's really only since the gun came on the scene that the African mega-fauna is now seriously in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

"at the beginning of time"

Are we talking Creationist nonsense here, because very little of what you've said makes sense in a scientific context.

JonThom wrote: »
    Are we talking Creationist nonsense here, because very little of what you've said makes sense in a scientific context.

Where exactly was creationism mentioned, she referenced the garden of eden is that what your referring to?
    I've probably referenced it before I've probably referred to adam and eve too, does that mean I believe in creationism, that would be a no.

As myself and others posted above there is evidence to partially backup the theory that some animals didn't or don't have a fear of humans, unfortunatly it usually ends badly with the animals being hunted to extinction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

Well the original poster referred to the "beginning of time", and also mentioned Eden. When was this imaginary beginning of time? Did humans and animals just appear there at this beginning? And what has Eden got to do with anything?

In relation to animals innate fear of humans, it may be true that animals who have never seen or encountered a human before might not initially fear one. Animals in the wild fear their known predators, which they are wary of either by instinct (inherited knowledge), or by learned experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe Atrieanna will come back on and enlighten us of what exactly the original question was meant to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

gerky wrote: »
    As myself and others posted above there is evidence to partially backup the theory that some animals didn't or don't have a fear of humans, unfortunatly it usually ends badly with the animals being hunted to extinction.

Not just evidence. Animals (and birds) have no fear of humans in the Galapagos Islands (despite animals such as the giant tortoise being hunted extensively when human settlers first arrived).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The whole theory of animals becoming wild because of humans is indeed nonsense. Animals react to what they deem to be a danger to their safety and that's any predator. Sometimes it takes a while for an animal or a species to find out what's a predator and what's not when a new one comes on the scene.

For example when the Dutch first settled South-Africa they were able to hunt one of the most agressive and weary animals in the region on horseback without too much trouble : the buffalo. Try to appproach one now, on foot or on horseback : either your aim is true or you're lightning fast if not your funeral will be arranged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

JonThom wrote: »
    Well the original poster referred to the "beginning of time", and also mentioned Eden.
    it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that she was speaking metaphorically.

anyway, the percentage of megafauna which survives in africa is greater than the percentage of megafauna which survives in other continents - even though - and because - most of the evolution of man happened on the african continent. animals in africa evolved alongside humans, and the burgeoning hunting skills of humans. so they found themselves in an evolutionary race, and evolved mechanisms to cope with being hunted by humans. animals on other continents did not enjoy this period of 'luxury'.

of course, it's not as black and white as the above suggests, as there are climatic and other forces at play too, in extinctions and animal migrations.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Okay its just an article that I read and it highlighted something I had never really considered before. My wording like the "beginning of time" was not implying creationism at all. "eden" was just thrown in as a well known example for fun. I was just interested to see what people thought about the theory.

Like why would animals fear man if he was no threat to them?
    When animals he hunted were aware of this new predator (man) naturally they became fearful of him. I am not saying man is the only hunter at all, naturally animals have to survive by hunting too and are hunted by predators.

As roen said we probably copped on pretty quick to our predators and so we learned to fear some animals as we do.

There is evidence to suggest that animals trust of man still exists on some remote islands and some animals do co exist peacefully.

Remember David attenborough with the monkeys, they allowed him into the group and were curious of him, but they were not afraid. Gosh it must have been an amazing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

I don't think it's a case of animals trust of man. It's more the fact they have no predators and haven't had during the course of their evolution. I have raised many young animals who's parents weren't around. I'd say certain ones became fearful on their own with no parental intervention, it's part of their make-up which came about from evolving in a world where they lived alongside their predators. This causes such animals to have inbuilt fear responses some caused by their very nature and others caused by parental intervention (as in, the snake experiment with the young human children). Rabbits are fearful without being taught this action by their parents. I've found all young rabbits become fearful and "paranoid" at a young age. This fear can be eased but never eradicated which suggests they have developed this reaction throughout years of evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DishonestPikey

Dinosaurs were tame?? Seriously though you must have read it on a creationist site.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Ahh nope, it was in a newspaper I read it...only couple of weeks back..

Advertisement