Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do I choose History LC topics to cover?

• 17-06-2008 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this for me!

I am just finished the dip and to be honest am a little at a loss as to how best to decide on which topics to cover for the LC history course:confused:. In my MA and degree I covered mostly modern history although not exclusively and although modern would be my preference I wouldn't mind teaching early history either. I know of course that after that decision is out of the way one topic is compulsory and after that it is up to me but I would like some advise from some History teachers please!

· Am I right in assuming the school will decide if its going to be modern or early?
    · Does the school usually decide which topics will be covered?
    · If it is up to individual teachers do all history teachers in the school generally decide to teach the same topics?
    · Are the students ever consulted?
    · Is it generally done in chronological order? As in two topics 1 and 2 or 4 and 5 etc

The main reason I ask is that I have applied for a number of jobs and I imagine they might ask in an interview which I would teach. Is this the case?
    I know there are a lot of questions there but I would really appreciate any info anyone could offer,
    Thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

i think in theory the subjects that are selected are meant to be in conjunction with the students interests and the teachers interests and particular area of expertise, in my school it was decided by the history department without any consultation with the students, most schools i think do go for the more modern topics because i suppose a lot of students will have more familiarity with parnell, 1916, etc than earlier periods,
    i just finished my first year this year and the topics we were covered had already been selected before i arrived (the modern and most popular ones) , i suppose just be honest in interview and say what areas you are most comfortable with although i suppose as a professional should be ok with all areas of the curriculum! good luck with job hunting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You might find it useful to contact the History Teachers' Association of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I done LC history in 2006 (new sylibus) & doing BA history, but dont claim to be expert. But,I would stick to modern period and as far as I am aware there are some periods more popular than others and also books may not be available for some periods. (check easons)e.g. less stress/more success only covers 7 out of 12 of choice in (later) modern. Also there are constraints i.e. two irish + 2 european/american/ international modules. one is compulsary e.g. American topic this year . AFAIK www.examinations.ie has details.I would personally prefer the 1870-1920 & 1920-1945 period as wars are more interesting than politics imo.However dont take my word as I have not looked into this for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

You will pick the Modern course, I think there is only about 30-40 students per year that do the Early Modern course.

The teacher chooses the topics which will be covered keeping in mind what student's will find most interesting, but the teacher gets to choose.

It's important to bear in mind that students have to do 4 topics for the leaving cert, 3 are optional but 1 is compulsory. The compulsory topic changes every 2 years (which is very annoying), so for this year and '09, it was America and the Wider World and for '10/'11 it is Northern Ireland 1945-1992 (check dates for that).

If the compulsory topic comes from Europe and the Wider World, then only 1 other topic can be chosen from that section. So for this year, most students would have studied Dictatorship and Democracy 1920-1945. Then 2 from the Irish section, probably most studied Ireland 1870-1914 and Ireland 1912-1949.

For incoming 5th years who only get to choose 1 Irish topic, I would pick The Road to Sovereignty and Impact of Partition 1912-1949. Most interesting topic for the students and importantly, a very predictable question on the exam.

Then for the European section, there's a few options here and it really depends on yourself. Don't pick a topic you know nothing about. But the main 4 are:

Europe 1871-1920 - Bismarck, WWI etc
    Europe 1920-1945 - Hitler, WWII etc
    Europe 1945-1992 - Could be interesting
    America 1945-1989 - Again interesting for the students (Race/Vietnam, even Marilyn Monroe)

I suspect the incoming 5th year teacher has been chosen and already decided on what topics they're going to do because they had to send out booklists. So I doubt you'll be in a position in September to influence the topics that are chosen.

As regard an interview, you would be surprised by what they don't ask you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sunflower!

Thanks for all the help!!! i guess I am just a bit nervous about interview questions want to be as prepared as i can!! thanks again :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement