Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building your own board

Options
  • 17-06-2008 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭

I've recently been looking at building my own board - i'd like a long board to be able to surf on smaller days - and it would give me something to do for the summer. While i'm at it I might make two, i'll put the other one up for sale up here.

Just wondering has anyone every built their own board? Or do you think this is a crazy idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 moosejoose

Go for it im on number 3 looking at 4, its some thing every surfer must do. It gives you a better apprication for your equipment and makes you realise that pop outs and epoxy boards made in china by 5 year olds are souless and are only a surfboard by name and not in spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Making one board is probably a little more expensive than buying, but if you buy enough resin, screw together some jigs, etc and buy fins/leashes together a few at a time you'd get some discount, and rolls of fiberglass cloth you can save a good bit. Normally your first board will have loads of mistakes in it (hopefully not but hey were all human). It was try three for me before I got it perfect, or close enough as makes no difference. I have 3 boards that I use, only one was shaped by myself and its my favorite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Its something i've thought about myself but haven't really looked into. Anyone have any decent links to tutorials and the like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Just wondering how difficult you found it to source materials in Ireland? And what would you be looking at cost wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

i run shaping courses and also will be running a shaping course at my local college of further education in september.

i also have most of the materials available.

• Advertisement

basically anyone can hack together a shape it aint pretty most of the time, but its the glassing that is the hard part!! trying to seal a board so it doesnt take on water is the trick.

also its easy to hoover up the dust, but to clean resin off the floor!

thats why im just in the process of setting up irelands first full glass shop!
    so anyone can drop in a shape and walk out with a full professional glass job without the mess!!! think moonlight glassing in ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

So where in the country are you setting up this bussiness,if I may ask.

wideangle wrote: »
    So where in the country are you setting up this bussiness,if I may ask.

im based in cork already have my workshop there just bringing in a pro glasser.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Is the course going to be a full time day course or a once or twice aweek evening type of deal?

wideangle wrote: »
    Is the course going to be a full time day course or a once or twice aweek evening type of deal?

it will be an evening course, twice a week

• Advertisement
Advertisement