Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine licence?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, I'm in the throes of planning a business but before the blessed day arrives when I can pack in my rapidly-driving-me-crazy IT job, I'm going to test the waters with a stall in the Blackrock Market. I'm pretty sure I need a licence to sell bottles of wine but no one seems able to confirm this. If I do need one, can someone state definitively where I would obtain? Info on the web is patchy and convoluted!

Many thanks!
    T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Quote from the wine board of Ireland

"Q: I want to open a wine shop / I want to sell wine in my establishment. How do I get a Wine Licence?

A: For Revenue Licence enquiries contact the Excise Division of Revenue in your area as follows: Dublin (01) 647 4353; Cork (021) 432 5000; Waterford (051) 862 174; Limerick (061) 402 176; Galway (091) 536 324 and Cavan (049) 436 8830.

Q: I want to import wine into Ireland for commercial purposed. Who should I contact?

A: For a Revenue document on importing wine for commercial purposed go to www.revenue.ie - Leaflets & Guided - under business Leaflets & Guided click on Customs & Excise and scroll down to reference number PN 1880 "Import of excisable product from EU member states for commercial purposed". For general information on rates of duty contact the New Customs House in Dublin on (01) 877 6223.

"

http://www.wineboard.ie/wine_information/faqs.php

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You're test marketing this idea, so I'm wondering because it's a stall if you need a wine licence at all, especially at the beginning. I think it would also depend on whether you intend to offer other products, like food, for sale as well. Of course serving wine to drink would be a different matter. Mind you that doesn't stop you from offering samples of your product to taste at your stall. ;) That's great for creating goodwill and lots of interest.

I don't want to be negative but a stall selling just wine may not be successful, even in the apparently affluent area of Blackrock. The consumer of wine has a huge choice of suppliers at every level, from the garage forecourt, to off-licences, to all the major supermarkets. But I think a stall selling a variety of gourmet or freshly prepared food products, including a selection of wine, may have more of a chance of success. Good luck.

Advertisement