Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards 200 - Design your own

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

With everyone here talking about allsorts of mad challenges, I thought for a bit of fun we should try to design our own 200(ish). It can start and finish anywhere you want (in Ireland) and can be as flat or hilly as you like. Who knows, maybe one day we can organise one for ourselves, there seems to be enough enthuasiasts here to do it.

You can use mapmyride or google maps (or any other program you know of).

Here is my effort, my own WW200...
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/315403355040
    a bit lazy I know, but its a start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It should include Devil's Glen, Shay Elliot, Slieve Mann, Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap.
    That would probably kill us though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    It should include Devil's Glen, Shay Elliot, Slieve Mann, Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap.

It would be an interesting 200... cycle for 50k, then hop in a car down to the next climb, then do a bit more... repeat :)

It does bring about the thought of doing a weekend tour of the big climbs though....

I'd go for a nice gentle 500 laps of the sundrive road track!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

The one I did has them all bar the Devils Glen (a beast at the top, when you turn that last corner.)

Come on, someone else have a go.

AndyP wrote: »
    The one I did has them all bar the Devils Glen (a beast at the top, when you turn that last corner.)

Come on, someone else have a go.

I must admit, I didn't actually look at it :)
    Agreed about that corner, it's a stinker.

I put in Windgates (Bray Head) near the end as the sting in the tail, nasty drag up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Tried drawing this last night but I got tired and gave up:
    O’Connell St – over East Link – through Port Tunnel – Swords – Malahide – Lap of Howth – follow the coast all the way to Bray – M11 – M 50 – Pheonix park – Lap of the Quays – length of the Grand canal (from Kilmainham-ish) – down to that big hill in Killiney – over to Dundrum (somehow?!) – back into town – O’Connell st.

The Dublin Bicycle Race of Hell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Boards organised 24 hour Le Mans type cycle race around Wicklow anyone?

You're not allowed through the Port Tunnel on a bicycle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Myth wrote: »
    You're not allowed through the Port Tunnel on a bicycle!

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

oooh. I like the idea of a monster cycle around Dublin city alright. The commuters can come out from hiding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'd have to be late a night.. but the idea of dragging down the Port Tunnel en masse is brilliant!

Just for you, a 200 with every Wicklow climb worthy of the name

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/140418461274

Distance 194.2k
    Climbing 1450m/4756ft

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Here is my effort, my own WW200...
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/315403355040
    a bit lazy I know, but its a start.

A friend and I had planned on doing a similar route, albeit the other way around, last year. Never got around to it, but we used to refer to it as Super Climbing Day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Verb wrote: »
    oooh. I like the idea of a monster cycle around Dublin city alright. The commuters can come out from hiding

Given how busy this forum has gotten, we'd probably get more people out than the critical mass crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, much more fun to finish on the port tunnel I'd say!

There's a local cycle called La Foux (the madmen) this weekend, a 200km trip from Nice to the Alps at Foux d'Allos (a well-known ski station). I don't know if they do it in one day, I find it unimaginable.

I'm not crazy, I wouldn't dream of doing it, the mapping tool can't even calculate the elevation, but I've been, Foux d'Allos is at 2000m and the route seems to involve lots and lots of climbing

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2000254

Just for you, a 200 with every Wicklow climb worthy of the name

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/140418461274

Distance 194.2k
    Climbing 1450m/4756ft

Good work :)
    Anyone else interested in this one some weekend?

You might want to book the Priest and undertakers now! Cant think of a much tougher route around Wicklow than that (although the back road up the Sugarloaf from the Glenview is a beaut)

You might want to book the Priest and undertakers now! Cant think of a much tougher route around Wicklow than that (although the back road up the Sugarloaf from the Glenview is a beaut)

Maybe add it to the route?

Are you a feckin sadist?!? Might be tricky to add it to the route without sort of going all over the place. Maybe a right turn after Roundwood back towards the GotD and then up it, see what I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd be on for that. I'll be the one at the back taking it easy up the climbs in 30-27 ;-)

• Advertisement

Unfortunatley, mapmyride thinks its a one way.

Alternatively, a suggestion for a two stage spin (with a night in Carlow), then return the following day.

Stage 1
    Stage 2
    or something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Stupid mapmyride doesn't work on a mac! There's a dodgy script somewhere that keeps churning away that FF and IE seem to be able to ignore, but Safari hangs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Unfortunatley, mapmyride thinks its a one way.
    I think you can over-ride that by temporarily disabling the "follow road" functionality and manually plotting it.

blorg wrote: »
    I think you can over-ride that by temporarily disabling the "follow road" functionality and manually plotting it.

Doh!

Here is the finished article...

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Andy , where exactly is the Shay Elliot monument/memorial/hill/climb ?

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Andy , where exactly is the Shay Elliot monument/memorial/hill/climb ?
    Just south of Laragh on the road to Rathdrum there is a minor road to the right that brings you to Glenmalure, thats it. Not as, eh, 'interesting' a climb as Slieve Maan though.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/wicklow/641582609039

Advertisement