Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surge Protector for Coaxial Cable

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone!

A quick query, where might I get a surge protector that will protect an incoming aerial cable from surges and spikes (I'm thinking of lightning hitting it or near it) and has a warranty that is valid in this country?! I don't fancy paying >€50 for it either.

Any suggestions of where I could look, beyond argos, would be useful:)

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i think belkin have a range of surge protectors for home cinemas that have integrated sruge protectors for coax along with protection for plugs. not sure if they do a standalone one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I saw a belkin one in argos allright, which protected electrical sockets and a coax cable, but it was €75, a bit much for an amplifier power supply and a signal booster, for other TVs in the house! I'll probably just do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

A few summers ago; Flash, Bang, Thwack! Lightning strike on nearby telegraph pole took out my modem. Although modem's power cable was plugged into a surge-protector, the signal cable wasn't. PC was left untouched. Luck or mabybe modem acted as an expensive fuse.

I'm researching whole house protecting at the moment. Hager.ie site gives an explanation for DIN-rail SPDs, but it seems to be a translation (from the French?) as the English is a bit confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hello everyone!

A quick query, where might I get a surge protector that will protect an incoming aerial cable from surges and spikes (I'm thinking of lightning hitting it or near it) and has a warranty that is valid in this country?! I don't fancy paying >€50 for it either.

Any suggestions of where I could look, beyond argos, would be useful:)

Thanks.
    http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PF8VNT3%2DUK

Standard Warranty
    Lifetime

Equipment protection policy
    Lifetime : 100000 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Those things are like snake-oil.
    Modems have built in suppression as they are very susceptible to lightening strikes.
    These take the form of arrestors which blow apart when the power is too high, but there must also be a sufficient spark gap under the arrester to prevent the incoming power from jumping the PCB and into the PCI bus.
    Anyhow, what I am saying here is that modems need protection more-so than a satellite cable, as the telecoms system is spread out over a large area around the house, while a satellite is normally only local to the house.
    A lightening strike to a dish will do significantly more damage to the residence than it will do to the receiver on the other end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Our phone line's already had a direct hit (well on a pole 50 metres away) and the only damage was sustained was a broken modem. Some of our neighbours who didn't have their modems plugged in instead had their phone blown off the wall.

And the most interesting bit is that the phone line was protected by a standalone, albeit cheap, surge protector. Cost about €10 IIRC. The high voltages simply jumped the links across the PCB and continued into the modem, tripping the house earth protector too. As if the SP wasn't there.

The satellite cable coming from a dish at the side of the shed will not be protected. The risk in comparison to an aerial mounted by a 10 foot pole on top of a chimney near the top of a hill is tiny. And there are 4 TVs being supplied by it, as opposed to just a LIDL receiver connected to the dish.

Thanks a million for the link, I had a look around and I saw a cheaper surge protector with 5 outles, coax protection and warranty for about €20!

Advertisement