Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

can anybody give me any advice?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

hey i have my test in july at 8am on a monday in navan if any body has any advice id really appicate it.I have a feeling my nerves are going to let me down big time along with not looking in my mirrors enough does anybody know anything i could do to help overcome these problems.im 17 so its my 1st time taking the test.also im going to be away the week before it would u say that is good or bad?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 haywire

hey i was doing retests all last week and ad my test on monday but when i arrived the instructer wudn let me take the test because i avent had a license for 6 months i was 8 days out sad init???basically make it look like you are aware of everything eyes focused on the road and hopefully your driving skills are up to par!!!remember you have 7 faults so you dont have to be perfect!!!best of luck:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Don't mean to be harsh but if you deserve to pass you will. If you can't drive properly and safely you'll fail. Simple as that. I recommend a few decent pre-test lessons with a good instructor who knows Navan well and has local knowledge of the possible routes around the town. Might make you aware of some tricky places and stuff. Don't be afraid to progress forward and accelerate within reason. Don't be too hesitant, show that you can drive safely with confidence. Know the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Milo98

siobhan08 wrote: »
    hey i have my test in july at 8am on a monday in navan if any body has any advice id really appicate it.I have a feeling my nerves are going to let me down big time along with not looking in my mirrors enough does anybody know anything i could do to help overcome these problems.im 17 so its my 1st time taking the test.also im going to be away the week before it would u say that is good or bad?
    thanks

Hey Siobhan,

Best of luck!
    I did my in navan, be prepared for bad traffic (60 minutes behind the wheel)& a chatty instructor (mine asked me was I going anywhere nice on my hols!) I hadn't expected chat so it did put me off & had I been expecting it it wouldn't have made me as nervous as it did! Didn't get it first time but not overly stressed.

With the mirrors thing- my instructor gave me this little advice- any time you change gears check your mirrors, this as well as the usual stopping, corners/turning etc times will mean your checking the mirrors loads! My cheeky advice which I've heard around-If possible wear dangly earrings or your hair in a high pony tail as when you move your head its really easy for the tester to see you are checking your mirrors!

Good look :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

QuadLeo wrote: »
    Don't mean to be harsh but if you deserve to pass you will. If you can't drive properly and safely you'll fail. Simple as that.
    That's hardly any help now is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

im in exactly your position, doing mine 31st of july, be away for all of july and back to days before it. good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Milo98 wrote: »
    Hey Siobhan,

Best of luck!
    I did my in navan, be prepared for bad traffic (60 minutes behind the wheel)& a chatty instructor (mine asked me was I going anywhere nice on my hols!) I hadn't expected chat so it did put me off & had I been expecting it it wouldn't have made me as nervous as it did! Didn't get it first time but not overly stressed.

With the mirrors thing- my instructor gave me this little advice- any time you change gears check your mirrors, this as well as the usual stopping, corners/turning etc times will mean your checking the mirrors loads! My cheeky advice which I've heard around-If possible wear dangly earrings or your hair in a high pony tail as when you move your head its really easy for the tester to see you are checking your mirrors!

Good look :)
    hey
    thanks that sounds like a really good tip to make sure the tester can see im checkin my mirrors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Another bit of advise i got was to check your centre mirror every time the tester speaks to you when driving, just a quick glance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

I'm a driving instructor, but sorry I dont know Navan routes at all. I only deal with North Dublin test routes. My company name is Safety 1ST Driving School.

Check your review mirror every 20 seconds or every so often is the rule. Before you turn left check your rearview mirror then your left wing mirror then indicate left. Before you turn right check your rearview mirror and your right wing mirror then indicate to the right. Same thing when you're moving off, rearview mirror, right mirror and indicate right.

Basically check your mirrors before you:

Move off
    Overtake
    Changing lanes
    At roundabouts
    Before you turn left/right (as above)
    As you slow down and stop.

You can fail if you look in your mirrors too much by taking your eyes off the road. The above tips are useful but the tester will know if you're using your mirrors properly by looking at you or in the corner of his eye. My tip is make sure you move your head to look in your mirrors then you're hair and earrings will automatically move!! Hewill know if you're using your mirrors too on a hot sunny day if you're wearing sunglasses simply if you move your head. I look for this alot on my pretests.

As you approach a turn and the tester asks you to take the next junction on the left and you can see the turn ahead, check rear and left wing mirror and inicate left straight away and rear mirror and right mirror on approach to a turn to the right straight away.
    Hope this helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

This is why i set up www.drivingtesttips.ie.

Take a look and remember to think about what the tester asks you to do.
    Don’t check your mirrors based on time check them when it is safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Best advice I can give is to learn the routes well. Know speed limits, which lanes to use, which junctions have stop signs and which have yield signs etc.
    This way navigation is one thing you don't need to worry about so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

siobhan08 wrote: »
    thanks
    Check this out
    http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/phpbb/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

Every time the tester says 'left' or 'right' check the appropriate mirror (and the rear-view) before doing anything. Many drivers put the indicator on, then check the mirror and move off. This would be a potential fail in a test for lack of observation. ALWAYS check the mirror before flicking on the indicator. And look in the rear view before stopping EVERY TIME, which will be a lot on a Monday morning! If you're not used to heavy traffic, now is the time to book some pretest lessons at rush hour to get used to lots of other cars being on the road. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Savman wrote: »
    That's hardly any help now is it? :rolleyes:

I'm just being honest. I hope the OP passes. But I don't think there are any tips that will have any major effect, especially close to a test. What I meant was: If you have a few lessons and learn to drive properly then all will be fine. If you can't drive correctly or safely then the tester will spot it and you won't pass. It's their job. They can tell pretty soon if you're able to drive. Tips will only get you so far. Pre test lessons are the way to go imo. I gave the op my advice based on my own experience, but advice won't make you pass.

Advertisement