Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just wondering why?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

The parenting forum as it stood was a valuable resource that gave good advice based on what it was about, I found it to be intelligent and adequately moderated by informative mods who gave good advice. Then it was downgraded to 'Emergency Services' which didn't really make sense in the new context but it still kind of worked.

Recently it has been completely deleted and moved to a sub forum which is totally cut down and designed to be almost unreadable, maybe some egos are at work here? If so then the admins should be looking at who they are hiring as mods?

The parenting forum was an informitave interesting resource, it is beyond me how and why it has been almost excluded. Can anyone explain this drastic change of events for such a previously popular engaging forum? If it is down to a few mods being humiliated then shame on you.

Bring back the parenting forum I say, or at least explain why it has been cut to a point of none existence.

Ps I could be wrong in my gripe: If so I would like to hear why? An explanation would not go amiss. The ball is your court admin.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

More of a help desk question, but I dunno... Never noticed this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Should probably be in feedback tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from after hours.

The forum is still there it just has two new sub forums. There was a problem with the dropdown menu and parenting wasn't appearing in it. I assume Cult moved the parenting forum into it's own category so as to resolve this (it happened before with the events forum and this was how it was fixed).

So the parenting forum is still there it's just in it's own category. The reason why was so that it would be in the drop down menu again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Huh? Emergency Services was never anything to do with Parenting.

And as for the moderators of Emergency Services - can you please be a little more specific why there should be shame on us?

I'm completely lost here.
    The parenting forum as it stood was a valuable resource that gave good advice based on what it was about, I found it to be intelligent and adequately moderated by informative mods who gave good advice. Then it was downgraded to 'Emergency Services' which didn't really make sense in the new context but it still kind of worked.

Recently it has been completely deleted and moved to a sub forum which is totally cut down and designed to be almost unreadable, maybe some egos are at work here? If so then the admins should be looking at who they are hiring as mods?

The parenting forum was an informitave interesting resource, it is beyond me how and why it has been almost excluded. Can anyone explain this drastic change of events for such a previously popular engaging forum? If it is down to a few mods being humiliated then shame on you.

Bring back the parenting forum I say, or at least explain why it has been cut to a point of none existence.

Ps I could be wrong in my gripe: If so I would like to hear why? An explanation would not go amiss. The ball is your court admin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

maybe some egos are at work here? If so then the admins should be looking at who they are hiring as mods?

If it is down to a few mods being humiliated then shame on you.

Just thought I would point out to you mods don't have that kind of power. Mods can pretty much only ban people/issue infractions, edit/delete threads, edit/delete posts on the forums we mod. We also don't get paid.

It's only admins who can move/create forums.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Then it was downgraded to 'Emergency Services'

:confused:
    It's not in emergency services, it's under the Soc menu, where it's always been.
    maybe some egos are at work here?

What have egos got to do with the price of turnips?
    If so then the admins should be looking at who they are hiring as mods?

Hiring?
    I look forward to the day!
    We don't get hired, we offer up our free time, free of charge.

I presume you are talking about the fact that it has been split up into sections.
    That was requested by members of this site who use that forum, the Mods and Admins saw the logic in it and decided to change the layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Beruthiel wrote: »
    :confused:
    What have egos got to do with the price of turnips?
    Well as ego increases and id decreases the price of turnips fluctuates along a sliding scale. The Maths behind it is fascinating!

Cabbages on the other hand...well that just opens a can of worms I can tell ya. Better to stop there than raise tempers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Rarely is a post so wrong. Enjoy the moment OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

psni wrote: »
    Huh? Emergency Services was never anything to do with Parenting.

And as for the moderators of Emergency Services - can you please be a little more specific why there should be shame on us?

I'm completely lost here.
    Nothing to see here. Move along.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

esel wrote: »
    Nothing to see here. Move along.

Time for lolcats then?

funny-pictures-bird-wants-tic-tac.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Time for lolcats then?

funny-pictures-bird-wants-tic-tac.jpg

Haha brilliant pic there I think it says it all, I asked for answers and I got them. Apologies for personal comments about 'ego' and so on I think the mods do a great job here and the forum in general. The fact that you guys give your time for free 'advicewise' is much appreciated from experience.

I tend to ask questions and assume things on impulse at times and sometimes I am wrong, I still ask anyway, tis a curse but I'm big enough to admit when I get it wrong, thanks for answers and patience I think I am still getting used to forum etiquette in a way.

Thanks for your tolerance and answers. I think that I understand more now though on how forums work in the mod / admin sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Thanks for your tolerance and answers. I think that I understand more now though on how forums work in the mod / admin sense.
    Today, we have seen Feedback going down the tubes. You are probably the first OP ever to come back and thank people. Well, look on the bright side, at least someone squeezed in a lolpic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Parenting is still showing as a 'parent' forum, even though it does not have any sub-fora?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Still don't get why in the heirarchy parenting links to the parents subfora- I'm looking at you CuLT.

crash_000 wrote: »
    Still don't get why in the heirarchy parenting links to the parents subfora- I'm looking at you CuLT.
    There was a problem with the drop down, parenting wasn't appearing in it. The same thing happened before with the events forum and making it a subfora of a new forum fixed it. Must be the same thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

hmmm weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

nevf wrote: »
    Today, we have seen Feedback going down the tubes. You are probably the first OP ever to come back and thank people. Well, look on the bright side, at least someone squeezed in a lolpic.

Things are brighter than that. Carols of well-deserved praise to the moderators are breaking out all over the place, even from people who disagree with their decisions. The air on other threads is thick with bouquets of thanks from OPs. Someone somewhere is filling a vast bath with lavender oil, lighting some candles, and sticking on Linda Ronstadt:

Cause it's a mod mod love
    Mod mod love
    Mod mod love
    Can't help falling now
    Falling into mod love....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Who needs a Parenting forum anyway? All the info you could ever need is contained here and also here.

Sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What ?

Seriously ?

What ?

The parenting forum is still there, it how has two subforums, one for those who are preggers and one for those who are trying to get preggers.

It hasn't gone anywhere.

Parenting

Pregnancy.

Trying to conceive.

It seems you are not clicking into the forums but the cat section link which if you clicked again you would see the forum.

You also seem confused about the mods of the parenting forum,
    first you say you are happy when them then you accuse us of having ego issues so which is it ?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What ?

Seriously ?

What ?

The parenting forum is still there, it how has two subforums, one for those who are preggers and one for those who are trying to get preggers.

It hasn't gone anywhere.

Parenting

Pregnancy.

Trying to conceive.

It seems you are not clicking into the forums but the cat section link which if you clicked again you would see the forum.

You also seem confused about the mods of the parenting forum,
    first you say you are happy when them then you accuse us of having ego issues so which is it ?
    Thaedydal, never had a problem with you so put your mind at rest there. I asked a question, I got answers. In my question I also put up that I might be wrong in my gripe. I just had to ask anyway as it is in my nature to ask questions, (on impulse at times).

I apologized for the ego thing already I did explain that I am not familiar with forums and how they work, the feedback here makes it much more clear on how they work.

End of story, it is not a debate, I think I understand more now how the forum works and as a result I will choose my questions more carefully. Thanks for the feedback. I am kind of surprised though at the cynisism expressed by some people on the thanks from OP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ok Deliverance.

You do know you could have pmed me or any of the other parenting mods to explain and we would have gladly done so.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    ok Deliverance.

You do know you could have pmed me or any of the other parenting mods to explain and we would have gladly done so.

Thanks, I will do so in future, thanks for your reply and patience on this subject. In future I will act with less impulse and put more thought and consideration into questions.

So does this mean that us Emergency Services mods are off the hook? Or is that a faulty brake light I see? :D
    Thanks, I will do so in future, thanks for your reply and patience on this subject. In future I will act with less impulse and put more thought and consideration into questions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Or is that a faulty brake light I see? :D

Abuse of power both on and off line.
    Niiice :D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

For the record, I have found out what was causing this problem, and have rectified it for Parenting.

Need to do it for a couple of others now.

Advertisement