Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof cover for patch

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey, my girlfriend and I currently use the contraceptive patch.
    She has a problem showering with it though.
    When she`s at home in her own country, her shower is one of those that connects to the taps in the bath. She can unhook, hold, and direct the spray onto whatever part of the body she wants. ;)
    Similar to this...http://livinghouse.co.uk/acatalog/shower-bath-screen-3.jpg

However she`s coming to stay with me in a week, and my shower is different.
    Its just a power shower, not electric. And its all connected and stuck to the wall so you cant hold and direct it yourself. You just have to take the water wherever it hits you.
    Similar to this...http://www.collegedrinker.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/shower.jpg

So the problem is only with my shower.
    With her home shower she can avoid the water directly onto the patch and just use her hand to wash around it.
    With my shower, she cant. The force of the water can sometimes be too much, and can thus cause the edges of the patch to come loose, either during the shower or just afterwards. :(

So, any solutions? We`re thinking maybe some kind of waterproof patch that can go over the contraceptive patch, sticking to the skin around it and not to the patch itself, obviously??? Similar to a showercap maybe? :confused:
    Im hoping to get something before she comes over next week anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The contraceptive patch should be sticky enough to withstand water from showering, swimming and exercising and even the slick conditions of a sauna. Is she soaking it for an age under the water? Suggest she takes a shorter shower perhaps? Apply it to a part of the body (upper arm) where she can hold it out of the stream of water?

If she's using a lotion or shower gel with natural oils, she needs to keep that away from the patch because it can affect the stickiness. I wouldn't soap over it either. It should be able to withstand a simple shower though!

Either way, if it gets wet and comes off, apply a new one straight away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭The Cowboy

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    Yes, we`re aware it SHOULD be able to withstand those things.
    However the reality is that the patch`s stickiness has trouble with my shower.
    She doesn`t soak it for an age under the water, nor spend long in the shower.
    She has tried it on all the appropriate parts of the body.
    Its not feasible to remember to hold it out of the way of the stream of water every time she showers.
    She keeps any and all lotions/gels away from the patch, nor does she soap over it.
    Any more suggestions? Anything available to put over it while using the shower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get her to talk to her dr about it maybe a different contraception solution is needed.

I know women who go swimming everyday and dont' have this problem with the patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I shower everyday with my patch (on mah bum :p) and it's never come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

could she have a bath instead and put the patch on her upper arm so she can keep it outta the water?

• Advertisement
Advertisement