Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posted via Mobile Device

Options
  • 18-06-2008 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭

Some posts are showing "Posted via Mobile Device". Is this driven by them using the mobile skin or something else? Is it letting people know more than they should be entitled to?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I think CuLT said something about it having to be shown for some reason. I think a very small mobile phone icon somewhere in the post would be a bit less obtrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Victor wrote: »
    Some posts are showing "Posted via Mobile Device". Is this driven by them using the mobile skin or something else? Is it letting people know more than they should be entitled to?
    http://m.boards.ie

Boards.ie Mobile - boards.ie on your portable device

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sure you can edit it or delete it completely when you're posting from your phone. It comes up by default but you can get rid of it if you want. Your sig still won't be shown though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Posted via Mobile Device
    It's editable and removable if you wish.

Sure, I'll know he used a mobile device to send it, but it won't tell me anything worth knowing.

To "post via mobile device" on your computer:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56284243

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement

Posted via Mobile Device

cool i'm outside

Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Tigger wrote: »
    Posted via Mobile Device

cool i'm outside

Posted via Mobile Device

Hope you have a umbrella!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Will find a neater way to signify a post is a mobile post. Mostly it's just to raise initial awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CuLT wrote: »
    Will find a neater way to signify a post is a mobile post. Mostly it's just to raise initial awareness.
    Why is it necessary?

Is it a legal requirement or something?

:confused:

its for awareness

• Advertisement

Hope you have a umbrella!

i do
    can i store it in your web-space

Tigger wrote: »
    its for awareness

Awareness of what?

What consequence is it to me if someone posted via a mobile device?

I don't care if someone is posting from Mars tbh.

Why don't my posts say "posted via Green Skin"?

It makes you aware that you can post via a mobile device.

The new mobile version of boards really does work very well so it needs to be promoted as it was always tricky to access from a phone before.

DesF wrote: »
    Why is it necessary?

Is it a legal requirement or something?

:confused:
    Yes. It is a legal requirement.

Happy now? Toddle on.

CuLT wrote: »
    Toddle on.

No need to be such an effing smartarse about it tbh.

Posted via stationary device.

I heard that some guy once posted from a mobile device but didn't say he had posted from a mobile device and the police killed his dog as punishment. And if he did it again they said they'd come back and smother his ocelot.

DesF wrote: »
    No need to be such an effing smartarse about it tbh.

Right back at ya bub.

I wasn't being a smartarse, every question I asked in this thread was genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I always wondered what would happen if someone was using a mobile device to control a stationary device (i.e. an internet tablet VNCing onto a pc that is accessing m.boards.ie). It could get a bit complicated.

Posted via Mobile Device via Stationary Device via Mobile Device via Sitting On the Bus via Your Ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's there so people will be able to tell whether Jigsaw is out on is mountain bike (and therefore targetting someone) or at a stationary computer. Of course, it's possible he could be hi-jacking wireless networks, but there's no way of telling.

Regardless, it means people can turn the lock on the doors/windows when they see him posting via mobile device. I think it'll save a lot of people tbh.

• Advertisement

Posted via stationery device

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Pen and paper and then scanned it in?
    Or did you break into boards HQ, rip apart a server and take a biro to the thread directly?

Pen and paper and then scanned it in?
    I pushed the keys on my keyboard with a bic.

Or did you break into boards HQ, rip apart a server and take a biro to the thread directly?

That would be kewl.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont find it intrusive at all. I agree with CuLT on having it there for the moment to raise awareness and get more people moving away from the Mobile Skin to the Mobile Edition of the site. Then, more people can give feedback and report bugs so CuLT can fix them and make the service even better.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

An Post FTW

Posted via the postal service

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

antodeco wrote: »
    An Post FTW

Posted via the postal service
    When did you send it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I posted something in this thread earlier but I see it still hasn't arrived yet.

Sent Via FedEX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I heard that some guy once posted from a mobile device but didn't say he had posted from a mobile device and the police killed his dog as punishment. And if he did it again they said they'd come back and smother his ocelot.

and i was that person *sobs softly while stroking dead dog.* the only downside bout posting from a phone is the character
    limit-although i imagine newer phones allow bigger posts(?)
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

m.bop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Maybe replace it with a small image of a mobile that links to the m.boards thread?

Advertisement