Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lavender Plant - Need Help !

Options
  • 18-06-2008 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a lavender plant about 3-4 weeks ago and it is now completely dead ! I planted it in a ceramic pot using multpurpose compost and had been watering it regularly - I positioned it in plenty of sunlight - this is the 2nd lavender plant to die on me so I must be doing something wrong.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Hi, not sure it maybe its possible your overwatered it, lavender dosen't really like damp conditions at the roots so try letting the container dry out for a few days before watering..root rot is common with lavender. Having it in a sunny location is fine however. Mixing some sand or pebbles in the compost will improve drainage, as they like a very light soil

As much as i love it as a plant I've given up trying to get it to grow successfully in our damp climate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

1) When you transplant the lavender to a ceramic pot, do you break up the root ball? Unless you know precisely what you're doing when transplanting, leave the root alone - don't try loosening the soil.

2) Find a compost for herbs, or mix a multipurpose compost with some sand.

3) Don't over-water. Lavender doesn't like to be waterlogged. Water from the top when the soil is dry, and pour off any excess water after 15 minutes.

Does any of that sound like things you haven't been doing already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dunk a new plant in water for a few minutes before planting and thereafter water sparingly. Lavenders do not like persistent moisture but new plants can dehydrate very quickly. I suspect drought is your problem.

Free draining soil is ideal but roots need to establish to absorb required moisture.

Once established lavenders are very hardy but do require attention (especially clipping) to remain compact and bushy. All too often lavenders are gone over to become scraggy shadows of former self.

Lavender Hidcote is an easy variety to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Dunk a new plant in water for a few minutes before planting and thereafter water sparingly. Lavenders do not like persistent moisture but new plants can dehydrate very quickly. I suspect drought is your problem.

Free draining soil is ideal but roots need to establish to absorb required moisture.

Once established lavenders are very hardy but do require attention (especially clipping) to remain compact and bushy. All too often lavenders are gone over to become scraggy shadows of former self.

Lavender Hidcote is an easy variety to develop.

I have a couple that are thriving, but I have never clipped them in the couple of years I have them. When would be the best time to do this?

Thanks.

Btw I'm always finding it in my daughters pockets because she loves the smell, so maybe it is being semi pruned already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

sueme wrote: »
    I have a couple that are thriving, but I have never clipped them in the couple of years I have them. When would be the best time to do this?

Thanks.

Btw I'm always finding it in my daughters pockets because she loves the smell, so maybe it is being semi pruned already. :)

Usually flower stems would be cut just as blooms start to fade Late August/Sept and then a few weeks later the foliage should be given a very light clip, important to avoid any severe cutting a trim not a scalping. Light trims work well to help plant retain a well rounded, compact and dense appearance. Trims also help revent plant becoming woody or leggy, which is the begining of the end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Thanks for your replies on this.

I realise the problem now must be down to over-watering the lavender - also I used regular mutipurpose compost and did not mix in any sand or pebbles to improve drainage.

Not too sure why you suspect my problem is drought as had been watering it regularly and with all the rain we've been having lately... Sounds like it's just not possible to grow lavender successfully given our climate.

Is there anyway to revive my dead lavender plant at this stage?? looks a sorry sight out the back garden...

Has anybody any suggestions regarding plants I could plant in pots (not in the ground) for my deck that would look really nice?? any tips regarding how to treat these before and after planting would be much appreciated also.

Thanks.

EireEV

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Erm, I'd put lavender in a plastic pot with a free-draining soil - put the plastic pot inside a ceramic container if you want, to make it look nice. As long as it doesn't stand in water or be waterlogged, it should be fine with the rain and the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

EireEV wrote: »
    Has anybody any suggestions regarding plants I could plant in pots (not in the ground) for my deck that would look really nice?? any tips regarding how to treat these before and after planting would be much appreciated also.

Thanks.

EireEV

How about a blueberry bush - At maturity they are about 1.5m high with a 90cm spread - need ericaceous soil (available at garden centres) and regular watering - are hardy and last for decades. If you only get one, make it a self pollinating variety.

Advertisement