Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wi-fi hot spots in cork

Options
  • 18-06-2008 8:47am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title sugguests,are they in cork ?I plan on buying an ipod touch soon and need one to download software,as I dont have wireless broadband at home.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Douglas shopping centre - the tesco one - definetely has it for free,
    I remember seeing a WIFI sticker in the coffee shop - Gloria Jean? - on Patrick street.
    Cork Airport has it - I think you have to pay
    O Briens sandwich bars have it as well, not sure if you have to pay here either.
    Maybe some of the businesses like coffee shops give a WIFI token if you buy their merchandise - coffee shops would be a good example

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

You have to pay for the one in the airport. But both of the shopping centres in Douglas have it for free, I don't know about Mahon Point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cheers for that lads :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm nearly certain that Mahon Point has free wi-fi.. And wilton is free but you need to get some password from the reception/info desk person (i think...)

Is there not one by the courthouse? you always see tonnes of people there with their laptops out...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

this great thanks,I have loads of places I can try now *rubs hands together*

• Advertisement

Theres also free wi-fi in the bus station as I found out this morning :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

Macdonalds in blackpool have free wi-fi and crunchie deluxe mcflurries wat more could u want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

the clarion hotel on lapps quay has it free too, and coffee aint bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

old oak as well....

• Advertisement

nope i was mistaken the wi-fi in the bus station is not free you gotta pay a fiver for it or sumthing :mad:,or maybe its just cuz i was using my ipod touch :s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 corkonian0110

East village in douglas has free wifi as well

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

Also outside the courthouse on Washington street, you'd always see young uns on the steps with laptops there...
    Cant confirm this though, they might be just using MS paint. :pac:
    I think there is,there is a telephone box on that street just a bit up from it and I'm pretty certain it says there is free WiFi for 50m.I could be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

There are a number of FON spots around...Its free if you're a member

http://www.fon.com/en/

If your around the Wilton Road, I normally leave WiFi open!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

UCC got any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

1huge1 wrote: »
    UCC got any?

It does, but its only for students and they have to add the mac address of the device in the college for it to work .

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

ya,you need to register to use wifi on campus,must do it next year actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 robbie--balboa

topaz petrol station by kinsale road roundabout have free wi-fi

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

As the title sugguests,are they in cork ?I plan on buying an ipod touch soon and need one to download software,as I dont have wireless broadband at home.

cheers
    The best place is the Souths bar in South Mall in the Imperial hotel. Order your pint or coffee & enjoy the surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

The Franciscan Well has free Wifi too. Great beer and free wifi, the perfect pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

There is free WiFi on the courthouse steps, I've used it. There also free WiFi in Fitzgerald's park, near enough to the entrance.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

mobius42 wrote: »
    The Franciscan Well has free Wifi too. Great beer and free wifi, the perfect pub!

Didn't know this. Any particular requirements / passwords ?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

parsi wrote: »
    Didn't know this. Any particular requirements / passwords ?
    No password.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Would this be one main reason for it being used for Boards Beers? The Well I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

Not sure if Douglas shopping center still has free wifi, passed through there yesterday and saw nobody using a laptop (usually would be several people) and also a new pay internet terminal installed - can't imagine whoever paid for the terminal to be installed would be too happy about free competition.

its works by the court house,but i found it very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Seanot

Most Hotels have free wifi ....you can sit in there bar and surf away !!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Merchants quay the bench infront of the jewelery shop. nice 7mbit eircom connection. nice and reliable too, unlike my own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

for eircom bb customers eircom is offering free wireless in lots of places till march '09. U just have to sign up and get yur user name and password. Here's a pdf of all the places in cork and the rest of the country
    http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1381137355.1224707347@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadefhglfgdhcefeceiedffndffg.0&cid=WiFiLocations&site=Res&chanId=-536882378

Advertisement