Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A stupid question?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I probably should read this in the ROTR but I don't have it on hand. If I start an legal overtaking manouvere (broken white lines) and during my overtaking the line becomes continuous. Whats is the situation here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Technically speaking, you should have not begun a manoever that would not allow you to overtake in the distance you see to be clear, assuming you do not see continous lines once you begin the overtake.

Conversely, if you did see the continous line and still overtook knowing you would not be able to swing in before they began, you should not have begun the overtake.

In both situations you are open to prosecution if a Garda observes you, unless there are mitigating circumstances, e.g. the car/cars you are overtaking close up to prevent you getting in between them (all too common) or the ignorant pig speeds up to prevent your overtake in case it makes him look like a slow/incompetent driver.

If you move back in very shortly after the continuous line began (a matter of perspective for each Garda) I doubt it would be too serious. It all would then depend on the road layout etc., whether or not to deem it dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A friend of mine got booked for exactly that a few years ago. She overtook a van on a broken line but there was a car close in front of it that she hadn't seen, and she clipped the solid line. A cop stopped her and booked her. When she said that she thought she had room to return to her lane before the solid line but hadn't seen the car until she was committed, the cop simply said that running over the solid line was an offence and the reason for doing so was irrelevant. She got herself a nice little fine:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

hawker wrote: »
    I probably should read this in the ROTR but I don't have it on hand. If I start an legal overtaking manouvere (broken white lines) and during my overtaking the line becomes continuous. Whats is the situation here?

You're trapped on the other side of the road until the line becomes broken again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Biro wrote: »
    You're trapped on the other side of the road until the line becomes broken again! :D

lol.

But if the other side the road has a broken line you can surely cross back again.:p

Advertisement