Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTX 280 €497 GTX 260 €330 and 4850 €179 on sale

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Yes considering 2x4850's beat it and they come to 350 .
    Can't wait till the prices drop .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Yes considering 2x4850's beat it and they come to 350 .
    Can't wait till the prices drop .

2x 8800gt beat it too and they are only €220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm keeping an eye on GTX260 prices - Sli would be a monster at the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Any word on the HD4870X2, when is it released, price? I'm cosidering ordering 2x HD4850 next week and hopefully upgrade to HD4870x2's later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Aren't the X2's out in like 7 or 8 weeks ?

The other thing is Tom's Hardware says the GX280 is a hoover.
    He said the same about the GX2 though and I found em allright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

2x 8800gt beat it too and they are only €220
    Squal i know you love nvidia and all that i didn't remember the 8800gt as 4850's are out today sorry .Good point though 200 quid beats the gtx280 amazing quality for gpus now.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Flaccus wrote: »

The other thing is Tom's Hardware says the GX280 is a hoover.
    He said the same about the GX2 though and I found em allright.

Anandtech agree with the noise level too, below is a quote from page 9 of the review. It just something to take into account if you are going to buy a GX280.

"If you have a silent PC, the GTX 280 will definitely un-silence it and put out enough heat to make the rest of your fans work harder. If you're used to a GeForce 8800 GTX, GTS or GT, the noise will bother you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Flaccus wrote: »

That soon, I thought it was early Q4. Might reconsider my plans now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Komplett have the GTX 260 for €322

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=355266

Great deal when you think an overclocked GTX 260 can match its €530 big brother @ stock

Going by this review and others it looks a good bit faster than my 8800gtx and I have had enough of sli/ crossfire

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_gtx_280_260_performance/page8.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I have had enough of sli/ crossfire

... but recommending SLI/crossfire builds was your shtick! What went wrong? :p;)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

gah I don't know what to go for :/

The 9800gtx seems like a great option and its getting a price drop to less than 200 euro, and there is a 55nm 9800GTX+ on the way which should allow better overclocks..

I know the 4850 is cheaper and beats it in some instances but it has a terrible cooler and it idles at 70 degrees and loads at over 90 :eek:

The 9800GTX has a quiet / effective cooler and Nvidia have some very worthwhile features on the way like CUDA and Physx...

Im going to wait another month or so until the 4870 is out too and I see a comparison of:

9800GTX
    GTX 260

P.s I'm scared of SLI / CF because there are lots of reports of stuttering and whatnot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

conzymaher wrote: »

I know the 4850 is cheaper and beats it in some instances but it has a terrible cooler and it idles at 70 degrees and loads at over 90 :eek:

seems the first batch of goo isnt put on properly , replacing with fresh tim gives a 20* drop :O
    also , who cares about the heat if it does what it's designed to do , just buy a cheap aftermarket cooler and it will be awesome

Advertisement