Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asp.net treeview control

Options
  • 18-06-2008 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi,

I am using visual web developer 2008 and sql 2005 developer edition.
    What I'd like to do is to have a treeview control for customers.

So the treeview would look like
    A-C
    D-F
    G-I
    J-M
    etc
    etc

When they click the plus sign, I'd like the customers name to be populated down on the child nodes.

Can anyone advise on how to do this, been searching google but nothing major yet.

Do I hard code the A-C, D-F etc and then populate the child node names via a stored proc ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Tree View samples

Check the above and look at populate on demand that should get you underway.

Just to say the I've never come across a decent TreeView in terms of performance so if your going to be loading the tree up with a lot of nodes be prepared to wait a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

kayos wrote: »
    Tree View samples

Check the above and look at populate on demand that should get you underway.

Just to say the I've never come across a decent TreeView in terms of performance so if your going to be loading the tree up with a lot of nodes be prepared to wait a while.

Hi Kayos,
    Thanks for that.
    Would you have any other recommendations then instead of a treeview.

I'm basically just wanting a nice way to represent about 500 customers rather than having them on a gridview.

With 500 nodes and loading most of those on demand you should get away with it.

As for other ways of displaying 500 customers..... How about just giving a search facility with some autocomplete? It all depends do you really need to show all 500 or is it just provide a way of accessing client records?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

kayos wrote: »
    With 500 nodes and loading most of those on demand you should get away with it.

As for other ways of displaying 500 customers..... How about just giving a search facility with some autocomplete? It all depends do you really need to show all 500 or is it just provide a way of accessing client records?

I dont need to display all 500 customers at once, but I'll like a way that they can search easily for the customers and I thought by drilling down through the alphabet might be one way.

tiptap wrote: »
    I dont need to display all 500 customers at once, but I'll like a way that they can search easily for the customers and I thought by drilling down through the alphabet might be one way.

Well if they are going to search a Tree View broken down by alphabet then they will need to know the name they are looking for. A TextBox with autocomplete could be a good alternative in that case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement