Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Law for payment of placement?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,
    I have been hearing from people that there is new legislation coming in for part time employees but it will also cover those on college work placement. It means that every student that does placement as part of their course will be paid. I would be interested if any of ye have any other info on this, or a link as I am doing a course that involves 8 months of placement without pay! I cannot understand why nurses get paid, engineering placements get paid but other health care students don't?? Paying full fees, get no grant so work part time- 3.5 days a week during term but won't be able to work this amount while on placement as won't have the time as will be WORKING a FULL WEEK while on placement! :mad: it boils my blood, but I love the course and knew this at the same time. But I spent some time supervising students in my previous career and cannot understand how people expect them to survive while working a full week and not get paid! So any info would be grateful!

Comments

Hi soccerchick,

I haven't heard anything myself on that, and I'm subscribed to e-mails from a third-level education lobby group so I'm sure something would have been sent out. But it's probably best to check with your college, since they might have heard something.

Where did you hear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 soccerchick

It was briefly mentioned on the Radio around March time and also I have heard it from other students too. Fingers crossed!

Advertisement