Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of house - ESB & GAS

Options
  • 18-06-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am moving out of a shared house at the end of this june.
    the gas and esb bills arrived at the end of may
    so they are not expected to arrive end of july.

i would like to change account name on both esb and gas bills and get a uptodate meter reading

can i get a bill for the end of this month before the actual billing arrives?

where are the meters for esb and gas fitted?
    can we get the bills by calling the esb and gas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

ok you can read the meters yourself and phone the readings into the ESB and Bord Gais. Explain that you want to close the accounts in your name and they will send you final bills based on your readings. You will need the name of the person who is taking them over, or else they can be reverted to the landlord until somebody else takes over.

Your esb meter is probably outside the house, inside a white plastic door. They've been put outside for years now. But if it's an older house, it may be inside and if so, try around the fuseboard. If its outside, you will need to get a key to open it, unless you have one already. I think you can get them in hardware shops - they're a standard size.
    Your gas meter is outside somewhere - when I did have gas before, it was in the garden by the footpath.....I think it was a metal box and again you need the same key that you need for the ESB meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks chuckles, i will give a try tonite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Get a copy of your notification to them in writing, you can't be too careful with them. An old flatmate of mine ran to put the gas bill back in the landlords name when she moved ( i had left by then) and thought nothing more of it and has recently tried to get her name on the gas bill in another place only to be told she currently has a years bill of gas service at the other address!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hi
    I am moving out of a shared house at the end of this june.
    the gas and esb bills arrived at the end of may
    so they are not expected to arrive end of july.

i would like to change account name on both esb and gas bills and get a uptodate meter reading

can i get a bill for the end of this month before the actual billing arrives?

where are the meters for esb and gas fitted?
    can we get the bills by calling the esb and gas?

Hi bittihuduga,

I'm coming at the problem from the opposite side - I rent a house out in Cork. At the start of the year I insist that one of the tenants accompanies me and we take the meter readings on both gas and ESB. These are written into a receipt book which we both sign, the tenant(s) get the top copy, the carbon copy stays in the receipt book.

I follow the same procedure when the tenants move out. Read the meter accompanied by tenant, write, sign, each gets a copy. It's vitally important you and the landlord read the meters together and sign your names on a piece of paper that is dated correctly.
    MAKE SURE you call ESB & Bord Gais immediately. Eg if your tenancy finishes on the 30th June but you don't ring until the 25th July you may get charged an extra 25 days rental fee. MAKE SURE the ESB/Bord Gais customer service rep understands you finished the tenancy on whatever day it is you finish. ESB and Bord Gais may not send out a bill if it is halfway through a billing period (eg if just one tenant is moving out and the rest staying) however if your closing an account they willl.

Remember if your leaving a house on the 30th June the bills won't arrive until 4-5 days later.
    1. You'll have to either take an old bill with you and ring several days later to get the amount and then pay it in a bank/post office (I don't know if they'll take a final bill via a Direct Debit??)
    2. (and get the landlords agreement first) close the account early (24th June eg) and the bill will arrive while you are still there.
    3. Go back to the house in July, pick up the bill. it would be easier to ring than this option, just keep your account number with you.

What about bin charges, TV licence(s) Chorus/NTL/SKY/Broadband etc. If your cancelling any of these they require 30 days notice in writing. (most can be transferred, sometimes without a fee being charged ) Ring them and ask for the correct Dept to send the cancellation to - Chorus stuck me for an extra months charges because I didn't correctly address the envelope to an internal dept within the office..
    REGISTER the cancellation letter -- and some companies don't acept emails so its best to use snail mail.
    Put in the letter that you will be checking the date it arrived with An Post and you consider the 30 days notice to start from then. Point out that if THEY lose the letter internally/fail to send it to the correct internal dept that's their problem. not yours. The letter got there and that is the end of your obligations.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What about bin charges, TV licence(s) Chorus/NTL/SKY/Broadband etc. If your cancelling any of these they require 30 days notice in writing. (most can be transferred, sometimes without a fee being charged ) Ring them and ask for the correct Dept to send the cancellation to - Chorus stuck me for an extra months charges because I didn't correctly address the envelope to an internal dept within the office..

Yes indeed Chorus want 30 days notice and they say they want a letter, however when I called them and they said this I complained and eventually gave me an e-mail address

resolutionteam@upc.ie

Send an e-mail with a/c number and other relevant details and they should get back to you within about a week to confirm.

Worked for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

The bashtards,

They denied, denied and just for good measure absolutely denied that an email would act as 30 day notice.

Still, glad it worked for you, I wouldn't wish the experience of arguing with the Chorus customer service on my worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

The bashtards,

They denied, denied and just for good measure absolutely denied that an email would act as 30 day notice.

Still, glad it worked for you, I wouldn't wish the experience of arguing with the Chorus customer service on my worst enemy.

When I moved house I phoned them on the day and transferred the account to my new address, all done in five minutes, no problems.

4 months later they cut me off, when I rang they had no record of me ever having an account with them. Gave up in the end and got a Sky dish in.

Make sure any dealings you have with them are in writing.

Advertisement