Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unbelievable

Options
  • 18-06-2008 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Ok, here's the story, I'm new to this forum and like the majority of members posted here, I am also doing my Leaving Cert. I heard of boards.ie through, unsuprisingly, the Irish Times. The topics discussed here have definately provided me with comfort over the past two weeks.

Having said that, I am nevertheless absolutely appalled by the conduct of many members, and disgusted that the so-called moderator has not intervened. The difference between boards.ie and bebo is that its impersonal, and in a way, an easier way to avoid personal attack than having an individual profile. In theory, the forum is a great idea as it is probably the only Irish website which allows free conversation on almost every aspect of life, such as the leaving cert.

The behaviour I have witnessed on this site is nothing short of intimidation and I cannot for the life of me believe it has been tolerated. For example, with regard to Salman85, or whatever his name was, was shameless. I read all the posts, and judging from the pictures, abusive language and general unpleasantness it is clear that alot of members feel the need to bully others on the forum, shockingly, people they don't even know. Ironic isn't it? The very ones who went on and on about his cheating ways and how ''immoral'' he is, are the very people subjecting this individual to such intimidation.

Futhermore, I couldn't help but laugh when so many members criticised this guy for his stupidity in stating the fact he cheated on the net. When, in fact, they also put themselves out there and actually went as far to bully someone on the net, a far worse crime in my opinion. I ask those concerned: why the hell did you feel the need to make someone feel so horrible, when such an act would in no way benefit yourselves?

While on the topic, I want to state that I in no way agree with Salmans actions, I do not condone cheating in anyway and personally I would not have admitted to it on the net. But my god, to actually call the guys school, and the state exams commission is pathetic, none of your concern and a time waster. Maybe if you put half as much time into study as you did into worrying about other people you might have done far better.

The immaturity displayed here was priceless. How naive you are to think that this guy is the only one to ever cheat in the leaving cert? Yes, he probably will get his course. No, it isn't fair that someone else will miss out because of it.. Three words. Get.Over.It. Guys, i have news for you, life isn't fair. Its not fair that someone works hard all their life to buy a new house then someone comes along and wins the lotto. Learn to live with it.

Another pressing subject: Laura Brady. My god, you don't even know her! How dare you viciously comment on another persons schooling, finance and parents. She doesnt even use this forum! just another example of the intimidation that occurs on this site.

In conclusion, I do acknowledge that by using this site I certainly have benefited. But unfourtuntaley this has been completely overshadowed by the nastiness I have encountered. I had to voice an opinion, because in relality I have a feeling that most of the people involved don't even realise the extnet of their actions. Go on, I expect abuse now, call me an attention seeker for voicing my opinion or a no-it-all or whatever, it really won't suprise me. I'm sorry if I seem like Im generalising as Im sure many people on this forum are genuinely nice individuals. But this few need to be aware of the power of their words.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

:confused:

k... I think you've missed the whole cheating thing... I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Not sure that this thread is in the correct forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I don't understand. You think that cheating is immoral, but you're opposed to cheaters being exposed, but you also think that despite people appearing to report him, that he'll still get his college place, and you still think he's being awfully hard done by? I'm sorry, wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

andy-xox wrote: »
    For example, with regard to Salman85, or whatever his name was, was shameless. I read all the posts, and judging from the pictures, abusive language and general unpleasantness it is clear that alot of members feel the need to bully others on the forum, shockingly, people they don't even know. Ironic isn't it? The very ones who went on and on about his cheating ways and how ''immoral'' he is, are the very people subjecting this individual to such intimidation

Salman85 was a troll; he started 2 further threads after having the first one locked and generally behaved in a much more immature manner than the majority of those who responded to him. I seriously doubt his feelings were hurt by the responses, as it is obvious he just wanted to cause trouble and get a rise out of people
    Futhermore, I couldn't help but laugh when so many members criticised this guy for his stupidity in stating the fact he cheated on the net. When, in fact, they also put themselves out there and actually went as far to bully someone on the net, a far worse crime in my opinion. I ask those concerned: why the hell did you feel the need to make someone feel so horrible, when such an act would in no way benefit yourselves?

Last time I checked, cheating in a State exam is a pretty big crime, whereas expressing an opinion isn't.
    But my god, to actually call the guys school, and the state exams commission is pathetic, none of your concern and a time waster. Maybe if you put half as much time into study as you did into worrying about other people you might have done far better

I think the point people were making was that, having already worked hard to get their points, someone coming on and bragging about getting 500 through cheating is pretty infuriating. If people felt strongly enough to report him to the SEC, that's their business. There were also some posters from the school who did allegedly witness him cheating and hear him bragging about it. Are they not entitled to report it?
    Another pressing subject: Laura Brady. My god, you don't even know her! How dare you viciously comment on another persons schooling, finance and parents. She doesnt even use this forum!

Allegedly she does, and there were plenty on here supporting her as well. Both sides were just expressing an opinion, as you are doing now.
    Go on, I expect abuse now, call me an attention seeker for voicing my opinion or a no-it-all or whatever, it really won't suprise me. I'm sorry if I seem like Im generalising as Im sure many people on this forum are genuinely nice individuals. But this few need to be aware of the power of their words.

I'm not setting out to abuse you, just giving you the facts as I see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lobsterstag

as you said yourself "get.over.it"!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is a public board my friend, the opinions here are free to post up as long as people don't abuse the boards by trolling etc.

salman was a troll, he started threads to get banned. The boards team don't approve and members with history here don't approve either. Also, many of the slights and comments hurled in his direction are aimed for comic value, as is a huge percentage of this site in general.

Also, if someone is as foolish to publically admit to cheating, he/she will more than likely recieve unpleasent comments. many people have been shafted out of jobs, college courses etc because of these cheaters and they feel the have the right to express themselves here.

Just as valid as your opinion, not better or worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

How dare you defed a cheater!!! you should be appuled at yourself. He deserves any bit of abuse he gets for cheating. By him cheating,he makes it harder for every single one of us. Do you have any idea how the points system works!!?? If people do well,points go up. So if that cheater does well due to cheating,points will go up,n god forbid,some honest hard workin student will be stripped of their place in their no. 1 choice college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I've gotta disagree with you there OP.

I haven't been a part of the Luara Brady debate, but from what I understand, people don't like her smug attitude, and the way it's hard to relate to someone doing the LC for the third time.
    This girl is putting herself in the spotlight, she should be prepared to take all the criticism. And it's not a crime to complain about how she's lucky enough to get the chance to repeat the third time, or to express how she annoys the face off you.

As for that cheater, I wonder if you'd feel the same way if Salman got the very last place on your college course? I'd be more shocked if people didn't report him to be honest. We can't stop expose all cheaters, but the ones we can expose, we should.

As for the term 'bullying', admittedly some of the replies were a bit nasty, but you have to understand that people get very annoyed when they find out they're being screwed over my lazy cheaters, so it's not as if they were just picking on an innocent little boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

But my god, to actually call the guys school, and the state exams commission is pathetic, none of your concern and a time waster. Maybe if you put half as much time into study as you did into worrying about other people you might have done far better.

Okay I get exactly what your saying and that it shouldn't have resorted to insults and bullying! But do you think it's fair that some guy coasts in, cheats his ass off and get away with it when there may be people who've studied their asses off all year just so they can pass a subject?
    You also have to remember there's a limit put on the numbers who get an a. What if by him cheating he got himself an A and deprived another student of the A which they'd worked hard for and needed? So dude I think it was dead right to call the school and the examinations commision, it's not fair that people work their asses off to be beaten by one guy not bothering
    Another pressing subject: Laura Brady. My god, you don't even know her! How dare you viciously comment on another persons schooling, finance and parents. She doesnt even use this forum! just another example of the intimidation that occurs on this site.

Once again dude get what your saying about bullying and all that but it is an article that was printed and therefore open to peoples comments judgement, and seeing as the article was about her she was therefore putting her personal life into the public eye and opening it upto criticism.

Btw she does use the site, look at the exam diary thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

For fúck's sake, why has this forum become the Laura Brady & Salman the Cheater discussion forum? Am I the only one who really doesn't give a shít anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

internetseriousbusinessxk4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

tl;dr

Don't care.

Good luck with life, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

The Walsho wrote: »
    For fúck's sake, why has this forum become the Laura Brady & Salman the Cheater discussion forum?
    When you've been around a while, you notice that when an event happens on a speciality board, everybody eventually links to it and the general public of boards will hop on in on the fun, overshadowing the forums normal operations.
    Blame that paki cheater lad or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I smell a Salman85 re-reg!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

ah here im disgusted at your attitude!!!

sure why doesn't everyone here save up and donate a few quid each so we can get salman an even better calculator to cheat in college!!! sure he deserves it according to you!!

ironically you say you do not condone his behaviour but you still condemn people for doing something to stop cheaters!!!!!! sure why should we even have police, we condemn criminals actions but hey life isnt fair why should we try to stop bad people!!

im appalled with your attitude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 prawn

Salman85 was a troll; he started 2 further threads after having the first one locked and generally behaved in a much more immature manner than the majority of those who responded to him. I seriously doubt his feelings were hurt by the responses, as it is obvious he just wanted to cause trouble and get a rise out of people

I dont think he was a troll. He told people before the exam he was going to try to cheat using his magic calculator. And he told people after too.
    On the other hand he had created a second bebo page to "protect" his identity, shame he wasnt smart enough not to mention the school or use his first name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

WE'RE ON DA RADIO!

someone has rang into Jooooooooeeeee Duffy about this sh*te...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 purepwnage

so what if he mentioned his real name adress etc etc school

fact is that he hasnt even got a phonecall from anyone and no action has been taken (just texted him there)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

WE'RE ON DA RADIO!

someone has rang into Jooooooooeeeee Duffy about this sh*te...

ffs

Yes, he cheated. Yes, something should be done about it.

But why does someone have to bring it to a bloody national radio station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

janeybabe wrote: »
    But why does someone have to bring it to a bloody national radio station?

because they are 3 wrenches short of a toolbox. then again the producers on the national radio station are also 3 wrenches short of a toolbox.

• Advertisement

because they are 3 wrenches short of a toolbox. then again the producers on the national radio station are also 3 wrenches short of a toolbox.

+1 zillion

Do I need anymore reasons to hate Joe Duffy? I think not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

All I found appalling about that thread were the comments from people defending and/or praising Salman or imploring that he be left alone.

So... he starts a thread bragging about his cheating, and laughing at those whose places might be affected by his behaviour, but it's not ok to criticise him. Seriously, anyone who thinks that, just stfu.

I must say I was very surprised by one particular Salman apologist: this individual, a well known Boards user who makes no secret of their devout catholicism, boasted that they're "addicted to cheating". I didn't think the lord would approve of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

/Yawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The behaviour I have witnessed on this site is nothing short of intimidation and I cannot for the life of me believe it has been tolerated. For example, with regard to Salman85, or whatever his name was, was shameless. I read all the posts, and judging from the pictures, abusive language and general unpleasantness it is clear that alot of members feel the need to bully others on the forum, shockingly, people they don't even know. Ironic isn't it? The very ones who went on and on about his cheating ways and how ''immoral'' he is, are the very people subjecting this individual to such intimidation.

While on the topic, I want to state that I in no way agree with Salmans actions, I do not condone cheating in anyway and personally I would not have admitted to it on the net. But my god, to actually call the guys school, and the state exams commission is pathetic, none of your concern and a time waster. Maybe if you put half as much time into study as you did into worrying about other people you might have done far better.

The immaturity displayed here was priceless. How naive you are to think that this guy is the only one to ever cheat in the leaving cert? Yes, he probably will get his course. No, it isn't fair that someone else will miss out because of it.. Three words. Get.Over.It. Guys, i have news for you, life isn't fair. Its not fair that someone works hard all their life to buy a new house then someone comes along and wins the lotto. Learn to live with it.

In conclusion, I do acknowledge that by using this site I certainly have benefited. But unfourtuntaley this has been completely overshadowed by the nastiness I have encountered. I had to voice an opinion, because in relality I have a feeling that most of the people involved don't even realise the extnet of their actions. Go on, I expect abuse now, call me an attention seeker for voicing my opinion or a no-it-all or whatever, it really won't suprise me. I'm sorry if I seem like Im generalising as Im sure many people on this forum are genuinely nice individuals. But this few need to be aware of the power of their words.

Hmm....
    andy-xox wrote:
    Three words. Get.Over.It. Guys, i have news for you, life isn't fair.

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Dudess wrote: »
    All I found appalling about that thread were the comments from people defending and/or praising Salman or imploring that he be left alone.

+1 to that.

The guy seemed to be an absolute idiot and deserved everything he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

what did yhe joe duffy people say?

i just couldn't listen to him

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you have a problem with a post, report it ---> report.gif

Tigger wrote: »

Well it was pretty boring until near the end of the show when Salman arrived into studio with a programmable calculator strapped to his hand. Cue squeals from Joe as Derek Mooney tried to drag Salman off him. Joe is ok, but the imprint of numbers 3, 4 and 6 on his forehead will remain as a reminder that cheating doesn't pay.*

*May not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Tigger wrote: »

Same. In work, but wanna know what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I too am intrigued

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement