Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lahinch

Options
  • 18-06-2008 10:38am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 128 ✭✭

Morning all,

Just a quick question. I've been meaning for a while to give surfing a go, but have just been postponing it over and over. A friend of mine had gone to Lahinch for a weekend and did some lessons there. He said it was pretty good for a beginner course.

I've never giving surfing a go, and would like to try, i've done some snowboarding in my time but that's about it. Wanna try give it a go? Is Lahinch the best place to head if your a beginner at it? I'm not the best swimmer in the world, getting some proper lessons at the minute, will this be a bad factor to include?

Any Suggestions or hints are welcomed!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd say Lahinch or Tramore are the most popular with beginners

Being able to swim certainly helps, but you will be given a wetsuit which increases buoyancy in the water, so you only really need to be able to swim to paddle and if you fall off the board (this will happen a few times), but you are attached by a leash to the board so it is never far away from you

Best of luck with it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭koolkakool

Lahinch is good. just dont surf when the tide is too far in because of the big boulders at the top of the beach. also, as you're looking out at the beach from the road, stay away from the left hand side of the beach, if you're a beginner. the waves can be a bit bigger there, but there's some rocks under the water in that area aswell. :):) have fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bloodfairyx

Ya, lahinch is great place for beginners... Build up ur swimming abilities as much as u can just in case u get caught in a RIP... And try and get one on one lessons from a school or if u have a friend that can show u it would be better... i don't believe u get thought well enough in the big group classes... But iv never had any so i don't no... Another thing, if u do get into it, dont let the winter turn u off. Surf is good all year round, And once u get into it u wont care about the cold winters!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

It all depends if you can have a friend to show you or not. I learnt from hing my friends and getting tips off them. Just get out there in the water.

I personally would not be a fan of taking part in a course. You can learn yourself if one of your mates surfs and watching others and not getting in their way.

In a way I like comparing it to learning the guitar, You heat about people getting lessons and paying for them, when they are jsut not needed. Just pick one up and learn yourself or off a few mates if they play. If you aer any good you will start getting better quickly

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

I had my first lesson in Strandhill at the weekend and I loved it. weather was great and the teachers were really good fun. there wasnt much pissin about at the start, they told u the basics and u were expected to just get in and do it, so from that point of view it was great to go hell for leather and just see how u got on. we didnt stray too far from the beach so u didnt have to be a great swimmer. we wouldnt have anyone local to go with us, so being able to go to the school was ideal.

best of luck, I cant wait to go again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement