Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most Immersive, engaging, and atmospheric game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

eamon234 wrote: »
    I can't believe no-one's mentioned Prey - what a game!

That twist near the end really got to me. One of the most F*cked up things I've ever seen in a videogame. Some other great moments, like the school bis, but that bit always sticks with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

half-life2 and tes4 oblivion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

The Metal Gear Solid series -have never been able to put one down the first time I play it and have to finish it just to see what will happen next.

Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit- One of the most engrossing atmospheric games I ever had the the plesure of playing.The Characters ,Voice acting,Music and general feeling of dread and mystery were top notch.

The nomad soul-From the same makers as farenheit great science fiction world with mixtures of demons,magic and technolagy with a david bowie soundtrack to match.

Mass effect-Plot soundtrack and just general 80's sci-fi feel are top notch.

Shenmue -years ahead of its time and still hasnt been matched in my opinion.

Ugh damn this tread now I need to play all these again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

Chess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Kiith wrote: »
    And when Agro fell off the bridge :(

ireland.jpg

Also, Silent Hill? Game turned me into a psychopath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm confused...:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think they mean to say 'thanks for the spoiler'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh, if they havent played it yet, then they probably wont play it at all. Shame on them.

Spoiler tagged it anyway...hippies :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Throw another vote up for Thief - even with the first 2 games & their less-than-stellar graphics, the atmosphere & gravity seeped from ever dark corner. The steampunk world was so richly presented, with its notable factions & characters, you just got sucked in.

That's before you even consider the infamous "shalebridge cradle" level; THE template for creepy, audio driven atmospherics. It was one of the few times I was geniunely fearful sneaking through the bowels of that building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Deus Ex anybody?

Deus Ex had the most engaging storylines that I have ever played and the fact that so many of the different combinations impacted on the game really drew me in. I loved the fact that you could kill NPCs before they were meant to die, if you walked into the ladies toilet you got your pay docked. I hated NATCO so much by the time I had gotten round to my 5th play and had done all the side missions.

Also, +1 for Bioshock. I loved Rapture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

eamon234 wrote: »
    I can't believe no-one's mentioned Prey - what a game!

prey was fantastic! gameplay wasnt anything fantastically original but it was a great story with some really impressive moments.
    Lately, id say MGS4, The darkness, Gears, all games that just grabbed me by the balls and didnt let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

System Shock 2 for Shodan taunting you and that couple.
    The entire Half Life series, especially episode II. I've never played a game which such well though out set pieces.
    Call of Duty 4 - I felt like I was in an action movie.
    Warcraft III- what a plot, shame about the follow up ;)
    Doom 2 - turns the lights off and the sound up
    Max Payne 1&2 - I loved that hardboiled plot and the slow motion effects really drew you in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silvine wrote: »
    System Shock 2 for Shodan taunting you and that couple.
    The entire Half Life series, especially episode II. I've never played a game which such well though out set pieces.
    Call of Duty 4 - I felt like I was in an action movie.
    Warcraft III- what a plot, shame about the follow up ;)
    Doom 2 - turns the lights off and the sound up
    Max Payne 1&2 - I loved that hardboiled plot and the slow motion effects really drew you in
    + 1 for Half Life 2:Episode2; especially for the ending. Powerful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Deus. Ex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yeah deus x was good, max payne was cool, gets my vote as best name anyway, wish I was called max payne :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Max Payne 1&2 and Deus Ex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

I still put the silent hill 2 story line up there before anything else on this list its good enough to be a excellent movie completely drew me in and then shocked me by the end of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Kiith wrote: »
    Ahh, if they havent played it yet, then they probably wont play it at all. Shame on them.

Spoiler tagged it anyway...hippies :mad:

I'm playing through it right now, hence the distress. :p

Seriously though, Silent Hill 2, definitely. Everything from the sound, to the plotline, to the controls, designed to pull you in. Swinging a board is awkward and slow, just like it would actually be to swing a board. Left me edgy and weird for days. And the storyline is told through the gameplay so well that you always feel like you're discovering it, you're figuring it out, rather than just some character.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Ravenholm in HL2 was awesomely immersive, Condemned Criminal Origins is very atmospheric too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Half Life 2 and Episodes 1 & 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Portal - not to be overlooked! Amazing game! Very creepy and atmospheric.

"Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "Goodbye" and you were like "NO WAY!" and then I was all "We pretended we were going to murder you"? That was great."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Thief 1 and 3
    Dreamfall: The longest journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

MooseJam wrote: »
    yeah deus x was good, max payne was cool, gets my vote as best name anyway, wish I was called max payne :)

+1 for Max Payne
    Was especially immersive for me seeing as my surname is Payne:cool:
    "It's Payne, geddim!"

Despite the amount of hatred that it receives here (mostly from Retro), I'm going to go for the Darkness. It had some of the most gripping cut scenes of any game that I've ever played.
    Being held back by the darkness while Jen is murdered... powerful stuff!

Super Metroid is definitely the most immersive 2D game that I've played, I loved the feeling of solitude, especially when you first land...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Fahrenheit +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

+1 for Bioshock. The showdown with Ryan was genuinely, well, shocking!

Call of Duty 4 was an absolute rip roarer at the end alright. And the post explosion bit...
    pulling your broken body out of the chopper after the nuke goes off only to find that you die of your injuries... That was a real eye opening moment!!

And after all this talk about STALKER, I'm going to have to give it a whirl! :D

And despite it being a turd in terms of gameplay, TMAN is right about that particular moment
    jen's death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

+2 Thief, HL, Max Payne, AvP, Mass Effect, CoD4.

FEAR

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Name the game music :)

here

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

conzymaher wrote: »
    Ravenholm in HL2 was awesomely immersive, Condemned Criminal Origins is very atmospheric too

You speak the truth.

All of these have already been said I think but imo some of the best are

Cod4
    Resident Evil 4
    Bioshock
    Hitman 2 : Silent Assassin
    GTA IV had me fairly glued until I finished it in fairness.
    MGS1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Has to be company of heros for,the american campaign was excellent,and in 2nd its cod 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I'd add Fallout and Bioshock to that list. Mass Effect would just miss out in my opinion.

Advertisement