Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most Immersive, engaging, and atmospheric game

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

An old one but Tie Fighter really sucked me in, I really felt like I was fighting for the empire against those rebel scum. And the bit where
    your ship defects to the rebels
    really caught me off guard and I was actually angry with them when I was chasing them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

quad_red wrote: »
    +1 for Bioshock. The showdown with Ryan was genuinely, well, shocking!

Call of Duty 4 was an absolute rip roarer at the end alright. And the post explosion bit...
    pulling your broken body out of the chopper after the nuke goes off only to find that you die of your injuries... That was a real eye opening moment!!

And after all this talk about STALKER, I'm going to have to give it a whirl! :D

And despite it being a turd in terms of gameplay, TMAN is right about that particular moment
    jen's death

That COD 4 moment was brilliant but a shame as well. I was enjoying the marine missions when suddenly you're just
    dead
    . Added massively to the storyline but I would have liked to play on a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I'm playing through it right now, hence the distress. :p

Seriously though, Silent Hill 2, definitely. Everything from the sound, to the plotline, to the controls, designed to pull you in. Swinging a board is awkward and slow, just like it would actually be to swing a board. Left me edgy and weird for days. And the storyline is told through the gameplay so well that you always feel like you're discovering it, you're figuring it out, rather than just some character.

Silent Hill 2 was perfect in the fact that it took AGES for anything to attack you.
    You were wandering through the paths fearing to go near ANYTHING that something could be hiding behind. It was almost a relief when it finally happened.
    And the atmospheric sound! Bloody hell, I remember the fear when
    I was wondering what the hell that rusty dragging sound was.

Edit: Did they mean him to look so much Sean Bean? Or was he picked for the movie because he looked so much like the character?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

Very surprised not to see more votes for oblivion. It took up most of my free time for a few months last year

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Any Infinity Ward Call of Duty game.. Haven't played the first one yet, just 2 and 4, must check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DarkJager wrote: »
    I was enjoying the marine missions when suddenly you're just
    dead

:rolleyes:
    I think they might crack your ingenius code.

My favourite moment in COD4 was
    at the end when you get thrown the gun and there's that cinematic moment where you shoot him in the head. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

quad_red wrote: »
    And after all this talk about STALKER, I'm going to have to give it a whirl! :D

I thought it was shit. Gave up after two or three hours of wandering around shooting respawning gangs of gunmen.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Thief 1 and 3
    Dreamfall: The longest journey

and what was wrong with Thief 2? Sir, I challenge you to a duel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Single game that took up most of my time when I was younger was "Bane of the Cosmic Forge" on the mac. Still compare RPG games to it these days to see if it measures up. None have.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Project Zero 2 - Crimson Butterfly.

Class game that really sucks you in and frightens the crap out of you.

And as for those endings....agggggghhhhhh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

was going to say FEAR but kaimera beat me to it. awesome game. all those flash backs, screams and dead kid keep you on your toes!!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Zillah wrote: »
    I thought it was shit. Gave up after two or three hours of wandering around shooting respawning gangs of gunmen.

Thank you! I'm in the same boat, Don't know why people love that game so much :/ I tried several times to play through it and gave up after a few hours each time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Maximilian wrote: »
    and what was wrong with Thief 2? Sir, I challenge you to a duel.
    I never played it. Well I just played the first level for a small bit but left it at that.
    I didn't like the direction it went from reviews I read about it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I never played it. Well I just played the first level for a small bit but left it at that.
    I didn't like the direction it went from reviews I read about it.

You missed out. Really - you should try a get a copy - its the best of the series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fear was a very atmospheric game as well,especially the jump outta your seat moments.

Advertisement