Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on ISP change: good for gaming

Options
  • 18-06-2008 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having some problems of late with my 8mb DSL BT connection.
    For the last week or two my modem now disconnects every day and wont reconnect until I reset the modem.
    Also getting extra lag playing some online games on my PC, and the kids say they always have a medium connection at best via wireless Xbox Live.
    Note a month or so back we'de both be online at the same time with no latency issues at all.

Spending the last 2 weeks troubleshooting with BT (and game tech support in case the lag is server side), sending traceroutes, updating firmware..test this test that and am getting tired of it. For all I know there failing copper or node somewhere out there and it'll take them forever to sort it.

I've been browsing services available and saw the Digiweb Metro 10mb wireless service.
    Can anyone let me know if they've had experience with gaming on such a wireless technology.....be grateful for any feedback.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tbh your better of with cable or dsl for gaming, can you get smart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭CrazyOtter

Just checked the site and I can indeed get Smart.
    Offer of services look impressive as well...hmmm
    Contention doesn't seem to be an issue with them?

Interesting indeed, I wonder for gaming would a 10mb service with option +1mb upload be a better option over 15 down / 500k up.

residential_package_matrix.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CrazyOtter wrote: »
    Just checked the site and I can indeed get Smart.
    Offer of services look impressive as well...hmmm
    Contention doesn't seem to be an issue with them?

You'll find the feedback regarding Smart Broadband on this board is positive in the majority on alot of fronts from price, speed, caps etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Have a mate who's always going to use other people's DSL or NTL for CS matches because his metro isn't up to scratch. He gets full speeds on it, and has clear line of site to the transmitter, just says it doesn't feel as smooth in game as other connections.

Then again, CS is just about the most lag-detecting game out there, and he's playing at a pretty competitive level, so you might not notice anything.

• Advertisement

Hmm, yeah, might give Metro a skip.

Smart's (seemingly) 1:1 contention looks interesting from a latency point of view. I think the 8mb/1mb would be enough for online gaming.

Up until a while ago BT was fine playing xbox live and pc game online at the same time with a 8mb/512k line, so a similar setup should be ok for Smart I think.

I'm bascially a WoW gamer, but you'd be surpised how important 100ms is in that game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Contention is 1:1

Latency to WoW is very low - any tests I have run are sub 50ms, WoW does not allow pings directly so this is only in game play.

NOTE - I work for Smart but am NOT being biased - mods would kill me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

How long have you had BT's 8mb bb? Are you sure you out of contract? Also be prepared for some broadband down time when switching to Smart. By all accounts from here its worth it when you get set up but maybe Mr Smart while he's here might let you know how long you'll be without broadband in making the switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

tbh, 4mb/1mb would be fine. You will never be pulling down 400+kbs playing any online game anyway. Get 6 or 8mb if you like to do some downloading too.

crawler wrote: »
    NOTE - I work for Smart but am NOT being biased - mods would kill me :)

Its good your making it clear in fairness :)
    I've sadly not used Smart myself but anyone I know who's used it has been happy with the results and downtime seems to be worth it

4MB with the 1MB upload add-on would be the most suitable package overall and for gaming imho and it wouldn't break the bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Deffo get the 1mb up if your kids host games on their 360.

I think I'm out of contract Admol....I've had the 3mb service for a long time and it was upgraded to 8mb without my knowing some months back :)
    As I never asked for it, I don't think it will be considered a new contract.

Phoned Smart for some one on one info and they seem to know thier stuff. Downtime seems a lot less these day, then when I switched from Eircom to EsatBT at the time. Mixups were frequent and I was without BB and phone for about 6 weeks.
    Seemingly if I now order Smart Broadband I will be switched over in 2-3 weeks, and (and this is a big AND) I will continue to have BB access until the day I switch over!!??

I could be dubious about this, were it not for the fact I'm off to a holiday home for 4 weeks and don't really mind how long it takes :)

I'd go for at least 6-8mb down/1mb up.....as more and more patches, if not whole games, will be downloaded in the future. If for some reason you need to reinstall a MMORPG these days , you could have a few gigs of patches to d'load as well...and I don't like waiting that long.

Advertisement