Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on UK imported car

Options
  • 18-06-2008 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi!
    Last week in bought a 2002 UK imported car from a dealer in Dublin. I got the car with VRT done. So the next day I went to motor tax office and paid the tax.
    I also got the car insured. Now I am waiting for the registration certificate to arrive by post to do NCT.
    So now I have tax, insurance discs and sale letter. But no NCT disc or motor registration certificate.
    I was wondering if it is OK to drive the car at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I guess that you'd be alright with it because you have a good excuse, you may have to tell your insurance company though as it may be a condition of cover.

When you get your reg cert, you have to call into an NCT test centre to 'show' it to them. This puts your car on the NCT system. Don't ask me why this is necessary but its what I had to do. About a week later you will be able to book a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

manikolbe wrote: »
    Hi!
    Last week in bought a 2002 UK imported car from a dealer in Dublin. I got the car with VRT done. So the next day I went to motor tax office and paid the tax.
    I also got the car insured. Now I am waiting for the registration certificate to arrive by post to do NCT.
    So now I have tax, insurance discs and sale letter. But no NCT disc or motor registration certificate.
    I was wondering if it is OK to drive the car at this stage?

Say for example you were bringing the car to the VRO to pay VRT on it... you don't need an NCT because it's a UK reg... but once you get an Irish reg, should you stop driving it (and leave it at the motor factors where you bought the reg plates) because you don't have an NCT?

I don't think you'll have any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 manikolbe

But for how long? It is already a week since i got the sales letter!
    What if garda stops me on my way to office? Can I get away with the sales letter?

What if garda stops me on my way to office? Can I get away with the sales letter?

To be honest, I don't think the NCT is high on the garda list of priorities. Maybe I'm wrong but my old car's NCT was two years out by the time I got rid of it. I've often been waved through checkpoints or just stopped and asked about it.

A few times I told the garda that I just hadn't gotten around to it (around the 18 month expired mark) and they just said "Get it done soon" and most recently i just told them i was getting rid of the car in a couple of weeks so I wasn't really bothered getting it NCT'd.

You've got a legitimate excuse as to why you don't have an NCT. You'd have to come across a garda in a really bad mood for him to do anything IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 manikolbe

Thanks Aiden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

you'll be fine. It'll take a while to get the notification of NCT in the post - till then, you have to wait. No your fault or problem.
    Any rightminded garda will understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

you'll be fine. It'll take a while to get the notification of NCT in the post - till then, you have to wait. No your fault or problem.
    Any rightminded garda will understand that.

The NCT don't send notifications anymore afaik.

As soon as the OP receives the Vehicle Licencing Cert from Shannon he/she should be able to book the NCT to my knowledge. This may take upto or more than a month depending how busy they are.

OP, from my experience the Gardai are generally only interested in you having a valid tax and insurance disc. However if they do stop you for something like careless driving or taking a wrong turn, etc, they may focus on the fact that the car has no valid NCT cert too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

bazz26 wrote: »
    The NCT don't send notifications anymore afaik.

Really Bazz?
    You sure?

Advertisement