Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race-baiting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

esel wrote: »
    ^ Best stay out of the Humour forum too.

Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

gogglebok wrote: »
    Man, it's not about opinions. It's about whether we call people spades and ****.

It's about PC liberals getting offended on behalf of people who they
    feel might or should be offended. let those 'offended speak for themselves.
    I find it insulting and a tad patronising/paternalistic that white middle class
    people feel they must fight the racism and oppression they imagine is around them. (OP, I am referring in general terms and not just directly to you).

Here's an example of PC do gooders overdoing it:
    Why nitty gritty has been ruled a no-no in the police lexicon

• Nick Hopkins, crime correspondent
    • The Guardian,
    • Wednesday May 15 2002
    Politically incorrect phrases that could lead to police officers facing disciplinary action include "nitty gritty" and "good egg", a conference was told yesterday. The issue was raised when Home Office minister, John Denham, used nitty gritty during a question session with delegates from the Police Federation of England and Wales
    Mr Denham was reproached by the audience, who pointed out the phrase had been effectively banned by some forces, including the Metropolitan police, because it is thought to originate in the 18th century slave trade. "If I used nitty gritty I would face a disciplinary charge," said PC Chris Jefford, who challenged the minister.
    Mr Denham's admission that he was "not aware" it could cause offence led to a chorus of "It's banned" from the floor.
    "Good egg" is deemed to be too closely associated with "egg and spoon" - rhyming slang for "coon".
    PC David Nixon, who advises Met officers on disciplinary matters, said there was no list of banned phrases, but officers could face a charge of breaching "tolerance" codes if anyone complained. "It is a subjective test."
    The Met said yesterday that no officers had faced disciplinary charges for using nitty gritty or good egg, but confirmed it urged staff to "make sure the language they use would not cause offence."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Sorry but correct me if i am wrong, boards is a diverse site. We can't have the same opinions, i don't see anything wrong with that thread.

People need to lighten up about the whole racism issue, i believe racism these days = ignorance, uneducation.
    I don't see any problem taking digs at people(Polish, Roma Gypsies, Bloody brits, Chinese or Indians), if that's the case then we are all racists because i bet you most of us have made snide remarks about people of different nationalities and races.

What the hell would you know about it anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

DesF wrote: »
    What the hell would you know about it anyway :D
    Considering I is black DesF :) hehehe

Considering I is black DesF :) hehehe

I knew that. :)

• Advertisement

I knew that. :)
    I know you know that :D
    Man, it's not about opinions. It's about whether we call people spades and ****.

Am a lady:)

Seriously, aren't you going OTT now?

I know you know that :D
    I thought you knew I knew alright :p

Knew that too. :pac:

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It's about PC liberals getting offended on behalf of people who they
    feel might or should be offended. let those 'offended speak for themselves.
    I find it insulting and a tad patronising/paternalistic that white middle class
    people feel they must fight the racism and oppression they imagine is around them. (OP, I am referring in general terms and not just directly to you).

Here's an example of PC do gooders overdoing it:

Well good egg is a bit of stretch to link up.

Niggardly or niggards contains the word niggar in it so I doubt anyone on the planet who hears that word would think of stingy first. Most would probably not know what it means. I can say I never heard of the word before till I saw that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Warning: May not be safe for work due to use of the 'n' word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Sorry but correct me if i am wrong, boards is a diverse site. We can't have the same opinions, i don't see anything wrong with that thread.

People need to lighten up about the whole racism issue, i believe racism these days = ignorance, uneducation.
    I don't see any problem taking digs at people(Polish, Roma Gypsies, Bloody brits, Chinese or Indians), if that's the case then we are all racists because i bet you most of us have made snide remarks about people of different nationalities and races.

Ok, our token black member said it's cool so that should be the end of it :D

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »

:eek::D

Dude, I PMd you a while back, did you get it at all?

Well good egg is a bit of stretch to link up.

Niggardly or niggards contains the word niggar in it so I doubt anyone on the planet who hears that word would think of stingy first. Most would probably not know what it means. I can say I never heard of the word before till I saw that thread.

Hold on a sec

How many people use that words with their mates? Ehn... the other day i had this little girl screaming blackie and ****** at me... I LMAO because her and blamed education as the issue behind her outburst
    Apparently i am not black anymore:(

gogglebok; i think you are overthinking

Interesting article, Gran Hermano. Let's step back from our positions for a moment and read it with a bit of scepticism.

If police forces ban the use of words like nitty-gritty or phrases like good egg, then they are obviously insane. On the other hand:

1. The article acknowledges that this has never happened.
    2. An unnamed source, evidently a policeman, says that the Met has banned "nitty-gritty".
    3. The Met denies this.
    4. No-one has been charged with anything for saying "nitty-gritty" or "good egg".

Now look at the context, including the finding of "institutional racism" among the police force in the Lawwrence enquiry, and a history of racism in the British police force - not least against the Irish, but probably most among black people.

Is there not the tiniest possibility that the audience were baiting the minister? That some policemen felt a bit sullen and trumped up a little squirt of bull**** to impress the Daily Mail? (Or Guardian in this case: twats.)

Is "egg and spoon" rhyming slang for coon? I've never heard it before, but the police themselves seem to think so. Now imagine one of the less reputable members of the British police force interrogating a black suspect. Is it too hard to see him overusing the word "egg"? Just like one of the pinheads cited earlier might gigglingly use the word "niggardly" around black people?

Apply a bit of critical reading, for god's sake. Mine isn't the only interpretation, and there may well be an over-zealous git in the Met's race relations office. But once again:

1. No list of banned words.
    2. No charges for using the words specified.
    3. The strongest official injunction against anyone is a caution to "avoid giving offence."
    4. Even that isn't against anyone specific.

Where exactly are the PC do-gooders here? What exactly do you disagree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Hold on a sec

How many people use that words with their mates? Ehn... the other day i had this little girl screaming blackie and ****** at me... I LMAO because her and blamed education as the issue behind her outburst

What? Your mates use the n word to you?! :confused:

I don't think a dislike of terms like spade and ****** is all that intellectually acrobatic, is it? Fair play to you for laughing off the racism you were subjected to. That doesn't make it alright.

What? Your mates use the n word to you?! :confused:

You know what.

I know a young lad, 17/18 years old, and he said there is are some black fellas in his class, they call each other it, and so do the white lads.

It has no racist undertones, as far as I can tell, in that situation.

:eek::D

Dude, I PMd you a while back, did you get it at all?

Nope, don't think so man. Just had a trawl through my inbox there and couldn't see it I'm afraid

Apparently? :confused:

Is there no way for you to check?
    I don't think a dislike of terms like spade and ****** is all that intellectually acrobatic, is it? Fair play to you for laughing off the racism you were subjected to. That doesn't make it alright.

So you are offended on her behalf even though she isn't offended?

Do you know better than people what should and shouldn't offend them or something? Nice one, now not only are you trying to tell us how people should talk, but also how they should think.

Eek. Sorry about the sex change.

One of the tags for the thread on AH was "spades". The whole point of the thread was to dance around using the word ******.

I'm not suggesting it was a cross-burning lynch mob or anything like it. But the thread was insensitive at best, and I still would like to hear an explanation of the thread tags and why they're acceptable.

One of the tags for the thread on AH was "spades". The whole point of the thread was to dance around using the word ******.

I'm not suggesting it was a cross-burning lynch mob or anything like it. But the thread was insensitive at best, and I still would like to hear an explanation of the thread tags and why they're acceptable.
    Are the tags still there?

Did Terry not edit them out?

She doesn't speak for everybody you see. Not even everyone who's the same colour as her.

• Advertisement

But surely she would have a hundred times better insight into the issue at hand than any white irish person, no?

Anyway, anybody who is offended "on behalf" of anybody else is, in my opinion, a nosey, pc do-gooder.

Do you know better than people what should and shouldn't offend them or something? Nice one, now not only are you trying to tell us how people should talk, but also how they should think.

You are about the eighth person to tell me I'm offended. I haven't used the word once. I've said repeatedly that I'm uncomfortable with the entire tenor of the original thread, and that I don't like the terms ****** (however smirkingly invoked) and spade.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to talk or think. I'm suggesting that the terms I'm referring to, and the jokes on the thread, might be a tad insensitive. They might hurt. Not everyone. Not everyone black. Not me. But they make me uncomfortable on boards for the same reason they would make me uncomfortable in a pub.

I have two questions for you, OOrestes, and I really hope you answer them. I'm not being combative here. I hope this is a conversation rather than an argument.

You've seen the thread. Do you approve of the word "spades" in the thread tag? I've said it was not "alright" for that kid to call MIN125 a ******, and that her laudable reaction doesn't make it alright. Do you really disagree with me on that?

But surely she would have a hundred times better insight into the issue at hand than any white irish person, no?

She wouldn't have better insight into gogglebok's take on it though.
    Anyway, anybody who is offended "on behalf" of anybody else is, in my opinion, a nosey, pc do-gooder.

You PM me the names of those nosey, pc do-gooders and I'll take care of 'em. Seriously, I will fuck their shit up.

What? Your mates use the n word to you?!
    Yes and No, and DesF not just my black mates, my white, Indians or Arabs.... And i don't take offence because they
    do not mean it in a derogatory term
    Very true, she shouldn't have said that but am not gonna go mad everytime a little kid calls me a ******... Actually, it's not the first time; i have a thick skin and having lived here for so
    long i couldn't be bothered. Not everyone is gonna like me or be nice to me-such is life!
    Apparently?
    Is there no way for you to check?
    I still am! I just don't talk/act black... A friend said it to me on saturday-pretty shocking

Are the tags still there?

Did Terry not edit them out?

They were edited out, in a fairly pissy way, as a result of this thread. My point isn't that they were carved in marble and imposed on the world for all eternity. It is simply that they were wrong.

Not many people seem to agree with me. I'm a little taken aback by that.

Do you agree that the tags were wrong? Would you defend the use of "spades" and "watermelon" and "niggaas" in that context?

Yes and No, and DesF not just my black mates, my white, Indians or Arabs.... And i don't take offence because they
    do not mean it in a derogatory term
    This is the crux of it, imo.

Take the power out of words.
    I still am! I just don't talk/act black... A friend said it to me on saturday-pretty shocking

Heh. Stopped eating watermelons and fried chicken?

I was never really Irish tbh, I don't drink much guinness or eat bacon and cabbage.

wtf does "act black" mean?

They were edited out, in a fairly pissy way, as a result of this thread. My point isn't that they were carved in marble and imposed on the world for all eternity. It is simply that they were wrong.

And a mod removed them.

What else do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I already explained that they were there because someone thought it was funny.
    They are no longer there.
    What more do you want?

Maybe the good folk here can go back in time and prevent anyone from ever leaving Africa, thus preventing a change in the colour of people's skin.*

Or they could try 2,000 year ago and ask Jesus to stick around and tell people not to use the N word.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
    However, seeing as this is feedback, perhaps you could suggest an solution to this problem.

Also, I see you haven't objected to the tags on this thread.
    Why is that?

*I have a scar on my finger and it resembles a flux capacitor and may be of help with the time travel.

You are about the eighth person to tell me I'm offended. I haven't used the word once. I've said repeatedly that I'm uncomfortable with the entire tenor of the original thread, and that I don't like the terms ****** (however smirkingly invoked) and spade.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to talk or think. I'm suggesting that the terms I'm referring to, and the jokes on the thread, might be a tad insensitive. They might hurt. Not everyone. Not everyone black. Not me. But they make me uncomfortable on boards for the same reason they would make me uncomfortable in a pub.

I have two questions for you, OOrestes, and I really hope you answer them. I'm not being combative here. I hope this is a conversation rather than an argument.

You've seen the thread. Do you approve of the word "spades" in the thread tag? I've said it was not "alright" for that kid to call MIN125 a ******, and that her laudable reaction doesn't make it alright. Do you really disagree with me on that?

I'm not looking for an arguement either dude, this is a discussion forum and we're having a discussion :)

Ok, you aren't offended but you feel that the thread was insensitive and made you feel uneasy. That's fair enough, but we can't ban/delete any comment/thread that makes someone uneasy. This is the biggest site of it's kind in Ireland with thousands of users. If we deleted everything that one user doesn't like we would end up with no site at all pretty quickly. My stance on the subject is as long as the rules of this site and the forum being posted in are not broken then everyone should feel free to post whatever they like, peoples sensitivities be damned.

Regarding your questions. 1) No, and that's why I reported the tags 2) No, but I feel that MIN dealt with the situation as ignorance should be ridiculed instead of combated or taken seriously

• Advertisement

And a mod removed them.

What else do you want?

An answer. Do you think they were OK?

Advertisement