Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race-baiting

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You can change your hair colour. :pac:

Ever heard of fake tan or boot polish? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Isn't that one of those exception that proves the rule cases, you can't be racist to MJ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Simplicity

Black people are nicer than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Racism, by its simplest definition, is discrimination based on race or skin color. People with racist beliefs might hate certain groups of people according to their race, or in the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits. Racism typically starts with the assumption that there are taxonomic differences between different groups of people. According to the United Nations conventions, there is no distinction between the term racial discrimination and ethnic discrimination.

Racism is not about black people...
    Please can a Mod lock this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Racism, by its simplest definition, is discrimination based on race or skin color. People with racist beliefs might hate certain groups of people according to their race, or in the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits. Racism typically starts with the assumption that there are taxonomic differences between different groups of people. According to the United Nations conventions, there is no distinction between the term racial discrimination and ethnic discrimination.

Racism is not about black people...
    Please can a Mod lock this thread?
    I understand. Piste basically thinks that hair colour and skin colour are comparable. They are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

copacetic wrote: »
    I think the point was that it is clearly meant to liken niggardly to the N word, but even if you ignore that (which the mods seem to be doing), the thread is still racist. So the thread is racist both ways.

Even the OP admitted he was trying to take a shot at the PC brigade on the first page ( by trying to post a racist thread that he would be let away with apparently).

im not sure i agree.

the point of the thread is obviously to use a word that can easily be misrepresented or misunderstood as the N word.
    its slapstick humour.

and yet at the same time, i have yet to see any racism.

all i see is childish references that make fun of a word that sounds like the N word. mind you, i havent read the entire thread, so there could be something in there. if so, im sure its been reported and the mods will take action against it.

actually, i think this thread says more about boards users than the original post does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I understand. Piste basically thinks that hair colour and skin colour are comparable. They are not.

Hey that's featurist! You can't say that one facet of a person's appearance is more important than another. You people make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

javaboy wrote: »
    Hey that's featurist! You can't say that one facet of a person's appearance is more important than another. You people make me sick.

But you can say that one facet of people's apperance was the basis for some of the most concerted and enduring discrimination in the societies and laws of several large, modern civilisations and continues to the be the basis for such discrimination in some of them, albeit in a diminished capacity.

Can you guess which one is which?
    actually, i think this thread says more about boards users than the original post does.

It should do seeing as that was one of the major thrusts of the opening post.

i think we are thinking about 2 different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Maybe we are WWM, maybe we are.

This thread is getting too cleverly ambiguous for my tastes. In hindsight, I'm not sure I should have quoted javaboy in that post either.

Advertisement