Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spicy food - WTF?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I don't like it too much at all.

I had a stupid idea about ten minutes ago, I had just finished cooking a vegetable pasta, now with my food I always throw on 'spices' but not proper spicy ones. Like BBQ or chicken spice, today I threw on cajun spices and my mouth is in bits, I'm about a fifth throw the meal, ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol cajun is killing you? Sissy

Kold wrote: »
    I hate the stuff. What the hell is so appealing about something that hurts your mouth and makes your sh!te explode? Is it some kind of masochistic tendency to love jalapenos or what? Seriously, I don't get why people eat something that makes them uncomfortable.

I get that people like spicy food, but.. can you tell me why?

Pfffft, Jalapenos........feckin lightweight. Get a few habaneros into ya, ya woman.

Spicy as possible for me please, though Kintaro has a fair point below....
    A little spicey is good but burn your mouth off spicey is just rediculous. You can't taste the flavours when it's that hot.

I've stopped ordering Vindaloo's and just go for the madras now cos with a vindaloo you just can't taste anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

-The atomic burger from Eddie Rockets

-Chicken Vindaloo from kundan tandoori, Its classed on the menu as 'Very Very Hot'

-Tortillas with the hotest sauce available in tescos

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Pfffft, Jalapenos........feckin lightweight. Get a few habaneros into ya, ya woman.

Feck it, you beat me too it. Habaneros all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I hate the stuff. What the hell is so appealing about something that hurts your mouth and makes your sh!te explode? Is it some kind of masochistic tendency to love jalapenos or what? Seriously, I don't get why people eat something that makes them uncomfortable.

Jalapenos are great, whenever there's a jar of them in the house I find myself munching away on them.

Must be something wrong with your mouth if they are hurting it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Gotta say, jalapenos in burritos or fajitas, on nachos, or even on pizza - excellent. :D

Now I'm off to find out about these habaneros ye're all talking about...

BTW, I wasn't aware there was any hot sauce in Tesco? Their 'Very Hot' salsa is just a mild salsa with a few jalapenos...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can't stand spicy food at all, myself. I enjoy tasting food, and if I eat anything spicy it just removes all flavour. I've friends who say that they just enjoy the challenge of eating through the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

The hotter the better, I go through jars of habanerno sauce like its ketchup (cant stand ketchup though), endorphines and food how can it get any better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I love spicey food, extra peppers and extra hot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I love spicy food, granted, there is a time and place for everything, some days a nice mild Korma or the like is required. Some of the foods advertised as 'spicy' in Ireland are completely false advertising imo though. Man, I miss the food in Korea when I used to live there, some of that stuff will blow the head of you. It's all about the endorphines!
    Have eaten at the korean places in dublin but haven't seen Booldak (literally fire chicken) at any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I like spice because it extends life, expands consciousness, and is vital to space travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You've never had hot unless you've been to New Orleans.
    There's a scale for measuring hotness, called the Scoville Scale. For comparison, Tobasco is about 8,000 Scovilles.
    I tried a sauce that was 800,000 Scovilles. They give you bits of popcorn to dip into it, so I had some, with a good bit of sauce on it.

I swear to god, it was actually physically painful. Water did absolutely nothing, except make it worse.
    I had to wait it out for about half an hour, until the burning subsided.

Would be a good thing to give to someone, who thinks they can stomach anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Blisterman wrote: »
    There's a scale for measuring hotness, called the Scoville Scale. For comparison, Tobasco is about 8,000 Scovilles.
    I tried a sauce that was 800,000 Scovilles. They give you bits of popcorn to dip into it, so I had some, with a good bit of sauce on it.

I swear to god, it was actually physically painful. Water did absolutely nothing, except make it worse.

Why don't they just eat molten tar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Mr. you don't wanna get wax in your mouth, do you?

maybe I do, son, maybe I do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Wow I'd love to try that. The highest I've had is a Scotch Bonnet pepper which is less than half that. I also got some of it's juice in my eye... It actually felt like my eye was melting and burning at the same time. The pain was unreal, never felt anything like it. Thanks to google though a quick eye bath in milk neutralised the pain pretty much instantly.

Anyway yeah the hotter the better for me. I use jalapenos in practically everything. And Tabasco sauce = yum. Specifically Habannero Tabasco sauce. The regular stuff is ok but not hot enough and it runs out too quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sugar is great for evening out the burn.
    OP you need to build up your tolerance. Start with mild-medium and work from there. Spicy food is great for releasing endorphins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The pain caused by eating spicy food causes your body to release endorphins. Thats where the appeal comes from.

I <3 spicy foods. I always have a bottle of Tobasco on standby.

Edit: this is a pretty funny account of a guy tasting a substance measuring 16,000,000 on the scoville scale... http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/blairs-16-million-product-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sorry OP, I love hot food, especially the Thai food with roasted chillis with the seeds left in for more bang!

WOW.

The chillis they use here are pathetic by comparison

Thai Chilli pepper has 50,000 to 100,000 Scoville units compared to Tobasco sauce at 2,500-5,000 units.

See http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm ok with mild stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

A tip from someone who's burned themselves a few times, don't drink water, it only spreads the capsicum.

Drink a milkshake, or a yoghurt drink. Alternatively a yoghurt. I'm not 100% sure why it works (dissolves into the fat in the dairy produce or is inhibited by lactose or some protein) but it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

Not everyone finds spice uncomfortable to eat. You can even get incredibly mildly spiced food. Most restaurants will cook to your tastes if asked. As someone else said, start mild and see what you like. Those buffet restaurants are great for that!

Personally my favourite food is Indian. I'll admit though, after a decently chilli smothered chicken kebab after a night on the raz the toilet side of things is a bit crap if you pardon the pun. It's all about the eatin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

A tip from someone who's burned themselves a few times, don't drink water, it only spreads the capsicum.

Drink a milkshake, or a yoghurt drink. Alternatively a yoghurt. I'm not 100% sure why it works (dissolves into the fat in the dairy produce or is inhibited by lactose or some protein) but it does!

Tea is even better. Drinking something cold only exacerbates the hot feeling.

OP, some people's "resistance" to spice is higher than others.

For example, you find Jalapenos hot, whereas I wouldn't even put them in the spicy food corner.

What tickles you mightn't tickle me or others.

It's all relative.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Is it some kind of masochistic tendency to love jalapenos or what? Seriously, I don't get why people eat something that makes them uncomfortable.

As some have already mentioned it all comes down to Endorphins.

Capsaicin is the part of the chilli that causes something to be perceived as spicy. Once it makes contact with the taste buds on your tongue, the brain believes that your mouth is 'in pain' and releases endorphins to combat this 'pain'.

Endorphins are very similar (chemically) to morphine so eating spicy food is a way of giving you a quick buzz. Capsaicin is addictive and the more you eat the more you become used to its effects resulting in needing hotter and hotter foods to release the same amount of endorphins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I had a chili vindaloo once, i usually like spicey food, but you couldn't taste the lamb, just burning. Wasn't fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ponster wrote: »
    As some have already mentioned it all comes down to Endorphins.

Capsaicin is the part of the chilli that causes something to be perceived as spicy. Once it makes contact with the taste buds on your tongue, the brain believes that your mouth is 'in pain' and releases endorphins to combat this 'pain'.

Endorphins are very similar (chemically) to morphine so eating spicy food is a way of giving you a quick buzz. Capsaicin is addictive and the more you eat the more you become used to its effects resulting in needing hotter and hotter foods to release the same amount of endorphins.

Jesus... I'll stick with my regular drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I find the hotness depends on the place, some places chilli masalas are akin to others phals.
    A mate of mine is a chef, he was pickling chillis in work, tons of the yokes, and managed to cut himself and allow a days worth of chilli juice into the wound.
    I've also heard a story about a fellow cutting chillis and then, without washing his hands properly, proceeding to give his lady some attention in the form of hand love. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Jesus... I'll stick with my regular drugs.

Luckily the amount of heroin I inject is harmless and for recreational purposes only.

Advertisement