Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spicy food - WTF?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You should try this stuff, just follow the instructions and DO NOT EAT STRAIGHT

101.jpg

Hottest Da' Bomb, rated at 1,500,000 Scoville Units
    Da' Bomb The Final Answer - Like the name suggests this is the 'Final Answer' to those questioning the Da' Bomb sauce range. This is rated at an incredible 1,500,000 Scoville Units.

The hottest of all of the Da' Bomb line. At over a million Scoville Units this is clearly NOT for direct consumption, use as a food additive only.

Warning: Do NOT eat straight out of the jar!

http://www.chilliworld.com/SP6.asp?p_id=101
    Blisterman wrote: »
    You've never had hot unless you've been to New Orleans.
    There's a scale for measuring hotness, called the Scoville Scale. For comparison, Tobasco is about 8,000 Scovilles.
    I tried a sauce that was 800,000 Scovilles. They give you bits of popcorn to dip into it, so I had some, with a good bit of sauce on it.

I swear to god, it was actually physically painful. Water did absolutely nothing, except make it worse.
    I had to wait it out for about half an hour, until the burning subsided.

Would be a good thing to give to someone, who thinks they can stomach anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

kowloon wrote: »
    Luckily the amount of heroin I inject is harmless and for recreational purposes only.

Chris Morris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I remember a time in the late 70's when Vesta boil-in-a-bag curry was supposed to be the epitome of hotness!

I think our collective pallette becomes more desensitised to hot food the more we eat it as a nation.

I love nothing more than making a chicken curry using Patek's Madras curry. Once you get over the initial feelings of having dipped your tongue in car battery acid, you get wonderful subtle undertones of apple and citrus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Jeebus I'd murder a vindaloo right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Chris Morris?

You win! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jalapeños ftfw. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Spicy food rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

You've never had hot unless you've been to New Orleans.
    There's a scale for measuring hotness, called the Scoville Scale. For comparison, Tobasco is about 8,000 Scovilles.
    I tried a sauce that was 800,000 Scovilles. They give you bits of popcorn to dip into it, so I had some, with a good bit of sauce on it.

I swear to god, it was actually physically painful. Water did absolutely nothing, except make it worse.
    I had to wait it out for about half an hour, until the burning subsided.

Would be a good thing to give to someone, who thinks they can stomach anything.

I abosultely love hot stuff...like mentioned by others its the endorFun's.
    I got a bottle of 5million scoville stuff at home.
    One night I decided to test how much I can take and made a pasta sauce with about half a teaspoons worth in it. I had to stop eating it when I realised my nose was bleedy quite badly. Hadn't noticed due to all the sweat in my face etc :D

Check this stuff out if you love the heat:
    http://www.ashleyfood.com/acatalog/maddogextractarsenal.html#a4PackArsenal

BTW, for those that eat loads of Jalapenos from the jar, I used to do the same until I realised how much salt is in them.
    I think one jar of Resco's Jalapenos contains 2 or 4 times your daily salt allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Mmmmm just had a steak marinated in teriyaki and tabasco sauce fried with red chilis and onions. T'was quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I like the odd spicy thing, but it can't be too spicy....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Krsnik87

If I'm ever hung over or in a bad state in general I find a good spicy meal will have me back on form in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭wiredup

Some people just don't like spicy food, their loss.

I used to live opposite to an Indian takeaway. Over a couple of years I worked my way up to be able to really enjoy a Vindaloo. Now, most nancy folks winge on about not being able to taste the food. Rubbish. You build a tolerance and in fact, a vindaloo is a very fruity curry full of wonderful flavours. Yummy.

The other + about chilli is it gives you a real buzz. I feel really cleansed and satisfied after chilli. It's a shame some folks don't enjoy it, they really are missing out on a great experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the hotter the better for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A tip from someone who's burned themselves a few times, don't drink water, it only spreads the capsicum.

Drink a milkshake, or a yoghurt drink. Alternatively a yoghurt. I'm not 100% sure why it works (dissolves into the fat in the dairy produce or is inhibited by lactose or some protein) but it does!
    Milk lifts the oils off your tongue.
    I remember a time in the late 70's when Vesta boil-in-a-bag curry was supposed to be the epitome of hotness!

I think our collective pallette becomes more desensitised to hot food the more we eat it as a nation.

I love nothing more than making a chicken curry using Patek's Madras curry. Once you get over the initial feelings of having dipped your tongue in car battery acid, you get wonderful subtle undertones of apple and citrus.
    I don't like Patak's. Too much garlic.
    I prefer sharwood's range of sauces.
    In saying that, I'll eat it if there's nothing else on the supermarket shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

coffee or any hot drink is good for getting rid of the heat, seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Conar wrote: »
    I abosultely love hot stuff...like mentioned by others its the endorFun's.
    One night I decided to test how much I can take and made a pasta sauce with about half a teaspoons worth in it. I had to stop eating it when I realised my nose was bleedy quite badly. Hadn't noticed due to all the sweat in my face etc :D

Check this stuff out if you love the heat:
    http://www.ashleyfood.com/acatalog/maddogextractarsenal.html#a4PackArsenal

BTW, for those that eat loads of Jalapenos from the jar, I used to do the same until I realised how much salt is in them.
    I think one jar of Resco's Jalapenos contains 2 or 4 times your daily salt allowance.
    Holy crap.
    That's pepper spray.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am not really a fan of hot or spicy food.
    However, I do like a little bit of chili in tomato based sauces/meat.

Krsnik87 wrote: »
    If I'm ever hung over or in a bad state in general I find a good spicy meal will have me back on form in no time!

Definitely agree on that one.
    I love to eat a hot Indian curry when drinking and save some for breakfast.
    Best hangover cure out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My old housemate's brother used to grow his own chilis in his garden in London. You wouldn't think that you could grow hot chilis in the English climate, but these were ridiculously hot, despite being tiny.
    He threw about 5 of them into a litre of vodka. Left it for a month, and I swear to god, it was like drinking tobasco. One shot and your throat was on fire.
    I'd imagine, if they grow in England, you could grow some in Ireland.

My old housemate's brother used to grow his own chilis in his garden in London. You wouldn't think that you could grow hot chilis in the English climate, but these were ridiculously hot, despite being tiny.
    He threw about 5 of them into a litre of vodka. Left it for a month, and I swear to god, it was like drinking tobasco. One shot and your throat was on fire.
    I'd imagine, if they grow in England, you could grow some in Ireland.

My sister has started growing some, about 2 or 3 different varieties.
    I've just been too lazy to try it.

That Vodka idea is great though. I drink Bloody Mary's quite often (so I can lace them with habanero tobasco ;) ) and I reckon that would be a great way to make them.
    Just add tomato juice.

I have some Vodka in the fridge at the moment.
    Gonna throw some chilies in there when I get home :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Conar wrote: »

Did you remember to put a bogroll in the freezer?
    Krsnik87 wrote: »

+1

Tolerance to spicy food builds up over time, and I love chillies and all manner of spicy foods, but I draw the line at self abuse - sauces with artificially high scoville ratings are not for me. I want my meal to be a pleasant dining experience, not a test of my mettle. Also I don't see the point of smothering or blocking the flavour of the food with a tonne of chillies.

I was in a restaurant in Brick Lane years ago with a colleague - he insisted on having the Johnny Cash Curry. There were dozens of those small green scuds in a thick sauce - the chillies still had the seeds in and didn't look cooked. I watched him painfully chomp his way through a large portion of it and at no time did he look like he was enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

hot food doesn't hurt my mouth. say i'm eating a hot curry, yes its hot but it doesn't hurt, it tastes amazing and in my opinion with all the flavours that come through, tastes a hell of a lot better than something like a carbonara (which i can't stand)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Beerlao wrote: »
    hot food doesn't hurt my mouth. say i'm eating a hot curry, yes its hot but it doesn't hurt, it tastes amazing and in my opinion with all the flavours that come through, tastes a hell of a lot better than something like a carbonara (which i can't stand)

Mannnn I love carbonara.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Another HOT one here!

I order my sauces etc from here:http://www.hot-headz.com/acatalog/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

For comparison, here's a video of someone eating 180,000 scoville sauce. The sauce I ate was 800,000, and watching this certainly brings back memories. It was agonising.

Advertisement