Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Chicken Fillets

• 18-06-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

My mom gave me a great tip the other day and it works very well. For those of you who dont like the feel of chicken fillets try using a scissors. It works perfectly, cuts through them quicker than a knife.

The best thing about it is that you use one hand to hold the fillet, and the other to hold the scissors, so when it comes to washing your hands, you have one hand free to turn the tap, etc, thus preventing samonella contamination.

It works very well, just use a normal large household scissors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The problem I have with this is: can you really clean the fulcrum of the scissors??

If your knife isn't cutting them 'quickly' enough - sharpen it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Get a proper pair of kitchen scissors, which unhook into two parts at the fulcrum for cleaning.

Something like this:
    fiskars_scis_sm.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

My mom gave me a great tip the other day and it works very well. For those of you who dont like the feel of chicken fillets try using a scissors. It works perfectly, cuts through them quicker than a knife.

The best thing about it is that you use one hand to hold the fillet, and the other to hold the scissors, so when it comes to washing your hands, you have one hand free to turn the tap, etc, thus preventing samonella contamination.

It works very well, just use a normal large household scissors.

when I cut them with a knife I use one hand to hold the fillet and the other to hold the knife. What possible way do you do it that means you need two hands to hold the fillet? Do you hold the knife in your teeth?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What's the problem with the 'feel' of a chicken fillet? If it works for you fair enough though. My knives are probably sharp enough to cut the fillet without placing my hand on it at all (I still do though).

Sparks wrote: »
    Get a proper pair of kitchen scissors, which unhook into two parts at the fulcrum for cleaning.

Yeah, I've a great set of wusthof scissors similar to these:

wusthof5558kitchenshear2a7_small.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't understand how you cut a chicken fillet with a scissors without holding it. Do you just sort of grasp it bit by bit in the scissors?

• Advertisement

What's the problem with the 'feel' of a chicken fillet?
    I'd guess it's the slimy feel the fillet gets if you store it in a container for a day or so - it's water and proteins leaking from the meat, you see the same thing with red meat. You can just wash it off of course, and since you don't have a slippery fillet and a sharp knife trying to play nicely together if you do, it's probably a good idea...

I see. Washing any sort of chicken is dangerous and shouldn't be recommended as the water tends to splash everywhere though.

Hmmm. Never had that problem, but I suppose my kitchen layout prevents it (the sink isn't near the prep area). Thing is, wouldn't the same argument mean you couldn't wash your hands after handling chicken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sparks wrote: »
    Hmmm. Never had that problem, but I suppose my kitchen layout prevents it (the sink isn't near the prep area). Thing is, wouldn't the same argument mean you couldn't wash your hands after handling chicken?

You're using a detergent to wash your hands in hot water.

Yeah, it's more for whole chickens. Chickens & Turkeys have been washed in my home house and the wife's home house for years now, were all ok.

*twitch*

*twitch*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Use a knife and fork.

Really how hard is that, use fork to put fillet on cutting board, use fork to steady fillet and cut with knife.

olaola wrote: »
    You're using a detergent to wash your hands in hot water.
    Detergent doesn't stop water from splashing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I was only offering a tip! I didnt really think that it would provoke so much criticism.

I just deleted a whole defence to your arguments, guys, it was only a suggestion thats all, I find it works for me and I wanted to share it with anyone who was looking for a hint or tup, thats all.

And also, I know a good few people who dont particularly like the feel of a fillet, I dont mind it so much, but yeah it is the sliminess.

I was only offering a tip! I didnt really think that it would provoke so much criticism.

I just deleted a whole defence to your arguments, guys, it was only a suggestion thats all, I find it works for me and I wanted to share it with anyone who was looking for a hint or tup, thats all.

No need to be so defensive, as I said in my first post, if it works for you then that's fine.

This is a discussion forum, this is now a thread on 'Cutting Chicken Fillets' I don't see a problem anywhere with it, I'm not being patronizing here [I hope].

Relax a bit, it's all about learning in Food & Drink as far as I'm concerned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I'm with Peewee Lane - he/she was only trying to be helpful. Way to discourage the sharing of tips, guys. :rolleyes:

Edit: it's the attitude of some in this thread rather than the exact words here that I find irksome by the way - why not offer what you find the easiest way to do it yourself in a spirit of helpfulness rather than phrase it as a criticism. I think it is quite clear why Peewee Lane is defensive...comments like "Really how hard is that" etc. are unnecessarily sharp.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm with Peewee Lane - he/she was only trying to be helpful. Way to discourage the sharing of tips, guys. :rolleyes:

Edit: it's the attitude of some in this thread rather than the exact words here that I find irksome by the way - why not offer what you find the easiest way to do it yourself in a spirit of helpfulness rather than phrase it as a criticism. I think it is quite clear why Peewee Lane is defensive...comments like "Really how hard is that" etc. are unnecessarily sharp.

I don't see that comment you quoted above? Personally I honestly can't understand the problem this tip is trying to solve. I'd be all for discouraging tips to solve non existing problems. Maybe I am just a terrible person. I'll get my coat...

Look, cut them with your toenail clippers for all I care!:D:D:D

No offence taken, I was cutting them up last night and I just thought -you know what, Im going to post this on boards, this is really handy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Peewee lane - thanks for the tip. Lots of people will probably find it useful.

My flatmate always cuts meat with a scissors, while I'd never heard of that being done before. She thought I was crazy for using a knife, I thought she was crazy for using a scissors :). I tried using a scissors a couple of times, but found I just prefer the knife. I've more control over it.

Thanks alot Faith :oD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

My wife always has always used a scissors for cutting chicken and was surprised the first time she saw me cooking to discover that everyone didn't do as she did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I know this might sound very drastic but I also hate the feel of raw chicken, I always have a box of those light surgical gloves you can buy in the chemist, very handy for painting, gardening etc so I use a pair for the chicken then you can just throw then straight in bin, no contamination issues.

You and Alton Brown...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I use a scissors for all types of meat. It is very handy. None gets "caught in the fulcrum" if you do not cut near it, or have a big scissors.

I do like the cleanliness, with a knife I tend to use both hands, sometimes without thinking, then have to wash the tap handle after. Also with the scissors you need no chopping board. I cut it up directly falling into the pan, once you get the hang of it, it is so quick to do that there is no real time delay, i.e. no raw chicken going in at the end on fully cooked. You can also cut directly into the tray the meat comes in if there is a lot to do.

I find it a lot safer too, so good for kids or older people, or just being in a rush, I can lash through meat, I get rib or round steak and trim the fat off, then cut into tiny bits for spag bol. This is cheaper, and leaner than lean mince, and you see the meat going in. I prefer the bigger bits too.

copacetic wrote: »
    Personally I honestly can't understand the problem this tip is trying to solve. I'd be all for discouraging tips to solve non existing problems.
    Faith wrote: »
    My flatmate always cuts meat with a scissors, while I'd never heard of that being done before. She thought I was crazy for using a knife, I thought she was crazy for using a scissors :). I tried using a scissors a couple of times, but found I just prefer the knife. I've more control over it.

Your flatmate might have thought the knife was a good idea and posted a tip here saying to use a knife rather than a scissors. Only to have a load of moaning scissors users saying it is a non-existent problem ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I normally work with chickens that I buy whole and then section myself, so a scissors doesn't really help there.

I'm not having a go at the original poster for posting a tip, but I genuinely don't see where using a scissors is handier than using a knife on meat. I feel like I would have less control of the size and shape of the pieces I was cutting if I used a scissors.

Also note: I have very, very small hands, and believe it or not I can't get the leverage when using a scissors to cut anything remotely tough. (I'm the person who has to put their weight on the hole punch in the office to get it to work.) I'd far rather flick around a 10" wickedly sharp chef's knife.

However, where I find a scissors IS really useful in the kitchen is for herbs. I automatically reach for my knife and board whenever there's anything to be prepared, but when I think of it, a scissors is really useful for adding chopped parsley to a dish - you just bundle the parsley together tightly and hold it over the pot, and snip snip snip in it goes, no board to wash and because it's an innocuous herb you can just rinse the scissors, no scalding required.

Saying that, every home should have the scissors' big brother, the kitchen shears. Vital for spatchcocking (though the physical sensation of crunching through a chicken or rabbit carcass with a big shears isn't for the fainthearted). (And if you're like me you have to use both hands to operate the shears.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

yeah, i'd use either a knife or scissors for cutting chicken breasts, knife is easier to trim with and the scissors is grand when the sharp knife is on the missing list.

MY helpful hint is for when you want wafer thin pieces of chicken fillet, only half defrost a chicken breast and then you can slice it thinner because it's more solid. you can practially see through the meat, cooks in seconds and is perfect in sandwiches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I use scissors the odd time too, particularly when I'm in a hurry & don't want the hassle of digging out my "meat" chopping board. I obviously down want to blunt my knife by chopping on a plate, so I find the scissors a handy work-around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

This is a pet-hate of mine, I can't even look at someone using a scissors to cut meat (or any food for that matter), Nigella done it on some programme I was watching recently and I had to switch over for a minute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use a scissors too sometimes, especially when I don't have a chopping board clean or if I'm in a hurry.
    And you're right Peewee, not everybody thinks of doing it and think it's a great tip when you tell them.

• Advertisement

Aw cheers dizzyblonde -next week folks, cutting celery with a fork!

Advertisement