Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil music

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations dare I ask? I watched an interview with the mars volta and they mentioned The Polyphonic Spree:pac: and some middle eastern music as being genuinely evil unlike death/gore metal bands that just play at writing scary/evil music.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Not sure where you could find stuff like that. Most of it is just pretentious twats trying to appear all evil and spooky for the sake of it. The only real piece of music I ever heard that sounded really evil, was the theme song of the Nightmare on Elm Street TV series. Do a youtube search for it and see what I mean. There's something about that tune that is genuinely scary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Nick Cave did an album about Murder (I think it was called 'Murder Ballads')- thats kind of evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Nick Cave did an album about Murder (I think it was called 'Murder Ballads')- thats kind of evil.

Great album too, quite humorous, Town of Milhaven springs to mind, imo its not that evil, just good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I don't know about evil, but Fields of the Nephilim are/were extremely serious and knowledgeable in their study of the occult, which is reflected in their music.

Zoon (released under the name 'Nefilim') is the most metal album, but Elizium is probably their best - in a dark, brooding but almost Floyd-ish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

The Omen soundtrack is fairly evil sounding.

• Advertisement

hmmm, I mean really really evil music, so evil as to be obscure. Not in terms of lyrics or imagery or anything like that, but the arrangement of notes and sounds, (not human sounds like death growls or screaming, that would be too anthropomorphic). The only thing I can think of as being really evil sounding was the Nine Inch Nails soundtrack for Quake, but thats what I'm talking about. Like a song so evil it would consist of b flat played 57 octaves below middle c. Really spooky sound wave boundary breaking music of evilness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

An Electric Storm by the White Noise is the only album I've heard that could actually be classified as evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

hmmm, I mean really really evil music, so evil as to be obscure. Not in terms of lyrics or imagery or anything like that, but the arrangement of notes and sounds, (not human sounds like death growls or screaming, that would be too anthropomorphic). The only thing I can think of as being really evil sounding was the Nine Inch Nails soundtrack for Quake, but thats what I'm talking about. Like a song so evil it would consist of b flat played 57 octaves below middle c. Really spooky sound wave boundary breaking music of evilness.

Methinks you're looking for Coil.

There's probably a lot of Industrial bands who would be right up your alley. You might want to check out Ulver's later albums as well, they've been very influenced by Coil, and make some utterly dark music altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Slayer, a shoe in for evil if I've ever saw one!
    "Hell Awaits"

And just to show how evil that is, here's that same song... BACKWARDS!! *evil smile!*

Mind you, the song still sounds cool backwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Inner Circle - Sweat (A La La La La Long)

Sung through gritted teeth.

• Advertisement

Ah it always comes back to the death/black metal. This song sounds pretty evil, Dallas Toler-Wade, the dude with the skullet looks cranky :pac:

Meshuggah have always freaked me out, the video just adds to the effect

Guess I'll have to go to the middle east and pick up a oujia board to listen to more evil music

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There's only one evil music....... blues .... as it was regarded as the devil's music in it's early days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

The Horrorist - One Night in New York City

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Aphex Twin has his moments.

yes, good one, funny man by Aphex Twin is disturbing to say the least. And Come to Daddy of course. But he's also written songs of incredibly beauty.

example

ah hell I put this song in too cos I like it so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

venetian snares music sounds quite evil at times, particularly his song "befriend a child killer" on the doll doll doll e.p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Mmm... Clouds... No but I imagine that Slayer song I posted caused a few suicides in its time. Aphex Twin's freakyness mainly comes across in videos like Come to Daddy, Window Licker and Rubber Johnny. One of Aphex Twin's songs is on GTA IV, really laid back, it's on that travelling station called "the Journey" with all the other laid back shit.

Edit: I bought my brother tickets to Oxygen for his birthday (birthday ws same day as they were releast) and Aphex Twin is playing. I mentioned something about the videos like "would they be showing them during the performance?" and he reckons it's half his show so he must be.

Advertisement