Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Leaving Cert,overall,how did it go for you?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Its the end of the Leaving!
    Throwing a few questions out there for all us Leaving Cert-ers

I myself I'm finished of today and I didn't find much difficulty in any one subject,and or stress about it so,I'm asking all of you on what ye found:

1.Hardest Paper
    2.Easiest Paper
    3.Overall,how did you find it?Stress?Panic....write on!

How did you find the Leaving Cert? 61 votes

Stressful
    0% 0 votes
    Difficult
    44% 27 votes
    Easy
    16% 10 votes
    So so
    39% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Hardest Paper - Geography, not for the questions themselves, but because they were so long-winded and the amount of time they give you is already too little as it is

Easiest Paper - Well Music is usually my strong point so that should fit in here, but I haven't done it yet. But I found Maths to be a lot less difficult than other years tbh, and English P2 was pretty nice as well.

Overall - the one thing that stuck me was just how fast the 2 weeks went, this time 2 weeks ago we were all sitting English P1! Overall though Im fairly happy, no major disasters or panic attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

deise59 wrote: »
    the one thing that stuck me was just how fast the 2 weeks went

:eek: Really? Seems like ages to me! Oh yeah, and for me..

Best Paper: French or Geography.. Was happy with both

Worst Paper: Accounting or Maths.. Was hoping for an A in both of these, doesn't seem likely now..

Overall: Pretty happy, I'm reasonably confident that I've got my course, and I've done my best so, yeah, it went pretty well.. With no major stress/anxiety :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Hardest Paper: This is kind of hard to judge for me. I'm sure I failed English and Irish Paper 2 but this was mostly due to outrageous laziness on the day and lack of preparation... the papers themselves weren't bad. I think maybe French. I probably passed but with a much lower grade than in the mock, which wasn't any easier. Damn sunshine/laziness. So not really a bad paper either. All the papers thus far were pretty much okay. Maybe Applied Maths will be nasty this year?

Easiest Paper: Maths Paper 1 was a shock on the day, but in retrospect it was pretty nice, Paper 2 was about the same... one of them anyway.

Overall: Relative to other people of the same ability level as myself, I probably did awful. In saying that, given certain non-academic issues prevalant throughout the course of 5th and 6th year, I did okay. My first choice is completely out of the question but I probably will get my first CAO choice. I didn't find the run-up to the LC in any way stressful, I was mostly concerned with the "wtf do I do next?" dilemma. Most of the stress and panic came right after the exams but it subsided quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Hardest Accounting
    Easiset Paper Geography

Overall-Say i got the points i need so happy:D:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

Hardest: HL maths paper 2
    Easiest: Both english papers, Biology
    Overall: I'm not finished yet but so far I've been VERY lucky cos the things I study last minute or the night before... keep coming up! couldn't do better if i repeated cos this kinda lightening doesn't strike twice!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

Hardest: Accounting. Biggest bitch of a paper I've ever seen.
    Easiest: Economics, Irish, French. All very straightforward.

Overall, I'd say it was quite fair. I'd say I'm in the 500s somewhere, but I suppose I'll just have to wait and see! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 g'way

1.Hardest Paper:accounting...was absolute rape!when the paper was handed out my whole class jus went "****!!!!!"...bloody disaster...

2.Easiest Paper:it was meant ta b accounting but I was happy wit english paper 2!everything i wanted came up so...
    also happy wit maths paper 2,even tho I still wont get an A

3.Overall,how did you find it?Stress?: nowhere near as bad/hard as its made out to be...i wasnt stressed until i finished accountin,and that was my last exam...not gonna get my 1st choice now though...nd leaving cert was probably the best year i've had n skul-there were so many days off and i started goin clubbin nd stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

1.Hardest Papers

Possibly English II. I was banking on Boland (Though had Mahon prepared too) I didn't like the Comparitive questions. Othello could have been nicer. I did FINE, hardest doesn't mean worst grade to be honest. This was just the one were my head really had to be used on the day, quotes came back into my head in mixed-up forms and had to be sorted out, bullet point plans were laid out and points were pulled away.

Maths paper 1 (OL)- and I **** you not here. Me and maths 1 never got on. Pulled a blinder on paper II, so that was fiiiiiiiine.

2.Easiest Papers

History. Just love history. The 1910-22 period in Ireland is my big thing, so the chance to write about Cultural Nationalism, The lead up to the Civil War and whatever else and get CAO points for it is much appreciated.

Economics. Ironic, as I thought this would be hard-and that English II would be a stroll. Thats the leaving for you, highly unpredictable. This turned out to be (personally speaking) as hard as FIFA on beginners.

3.Overall,how did you find it?

Anyone who says it wasn't a stress filled experience is a liar. I find it very hard to study, I am a night before person- which is a disgrace really. I spent a lot of time in panicy 'OMG I know nothing' territory, I wouldn't wish the LC on my worst-enemy. A bit (lot?) of luck got me through it. I wouldn't do it again. If I get 7 points I'll go work in a Kebab shop or slaughterhouse, this is truly a more appealing option to me than sitting that torture-fest again.....and I'm a vegetarian.

ITS TERRIBLE. Don't let people tell you otherwise.....still, feels like yesterday I was sitting in English I, writing about national cultures

4. Favourite Moments (had to add)

Opening a paper, and seeing things you know looking back.
    That air of relief that fills the room, you can sense it.

*Monopoly, there he is-great!*
    *No Boland, ****e- ah theres Mahon! ITS MAHON LADS!*

The smartest kids in the class giving the "Oh, I dont know anythings..." about 9.25 every morning :rolleyes: Typisch.

Walking out the door today, feeling like I'd won the lotto. Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Waheeeeeee, Goodbye.

Hearing Lisbon was getting thrashed on Friday in school, with a Young Fine Gaeler beside me. We'd knocked on doors up and down the same estates when we should have been studying :pac: "No No, No No No No....."

Laura Brady getting a good bollockin' every morning from the kids gathered around the Irish Times, and acting like I hadn't a clue what it was about. "Who is she?" "And she writes from what paper?" "Is she any good?"

In the local chipper, when some aul lad paid for my chips and said 'best of luck to ya Son' Made me smile. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I genuinely didn't find the Leaving Cert that stressful or bad, apart from in a pre-History ''my stuff better come up'' kinda way.
    I'm not lieing, and I am by no means an extreme studier who was fully prepared, or a person who's expecting to get 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

Hardest Paper: No real hard paper, every paper would've been a lovely paper if I studied! Maths 2 was a bit tricky in places

Easiest Paper: Pass Irish paper1. I dropped from honours to pass at Christmas purely because I wasn't bothered putting in so much effort for a subject I was alright at but hated with a passion, also all my other subjects are honours and I was never gonnacount irish for points so i just dropped and well, it was hilariously easy for me :D

Overall,how did you find it? Stressful but it would've been a lot less so if I'd put more work into it! Oh well, you live you learn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I think it's been ok. Something that just had to be done, but I think it's such bull**** is the biggest thing I've learned. Accounting was crazy and that happened after one day of bad drawing where I just might have lost an A1 when in 90% of those papers I'd overshoot it. One bad day like can happen in any subject, but technical drawing is a new course next year so if I was relying on that, I wouldn't even be able to repeat next year.

For something so god damn serious this system needs to get it's act together. Some people deserve better, but I thank the lord I don't even care for a great leaving cert. My results in August will reflect probably too well the effort I put in.

It's like a referee - 20% of the time it will be be wrong, you can only hope for everyone that 10% of the time they will get lucky.

Except she decides the course of your life and though there are rematches, for some people they are less appealing for reasons beyond as well as not beyond their control.

edit: my ex-principal (who now supervises and stuff), for example told us he went to a school in the north (living just south of the border) to do A levels instead of the LC because it gave such a better chance. (Thinking about it it might've been a boarding school, I don't know, but this is what he was saying, and obviously he knows what he's talking about: the leaving cert is bull****. I infact remember his words were closer to "the leaving cert is the toughest [such exams] IN THE WORLD") So it's not just the wrong people we have managing the health system . . .

Congrats for getting through it. I'm so glad it's over and I can go on to do what I want to do. Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hardest:Accounting by a million miles
    Easiest:Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JJPW89

Hardest: Accounting would have to be the hardest!!
    Easiest: I thought economics was a great paper after the horrors of accounting!! Lovely questions on Monopoly and demand!!

Its finally over!! Get in it!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Hardest Paper: Chemistry. Brrrr....

Easiest Paper: Maybe Spanish, or Maths 2.

Overall: So-so. I didn't find it overtly stressful, except when I was running on only a few hours sleep and caffeine. Generally, I think I peaked too early. I've put less and less effort into schoolwork since the Junior Cert, which I panicked majorly over for 3 years, before realising that it was no big deal. My lack of effort was probably also tempered by the fact that I realised in the last two years that no course I am remotely interested in requires much more than 400 points. So, I never had a study plan for senior cycle. I never studied, except when an exam was approaching. And I feel I could have gotten more than what I will get in August, but, well, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Hardest: Accounting, still feel like just crying:( I thought it was a nightmare or something

Easiest: Maths both papers definitely A1

But the accounting is gonna ruin my summer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hardest Paper: History, purely because I didn't study. My own fault so I shant dwell on it!

Easiest: I didn't find any papers very easy nor very hard, but I think I sailed through business and French.

Overall: I'm not a worrier or a stresser, I wasn't aiming for very high points so for me it was grand. I think with the motivation of needing high points I could have done a lot better but I really don't care! I'm satisfied knowing that I've made my points! I'm proud of my self and so is my family, now I can get on with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Iv been very happy. I think, overall iv done better than i did in the mocks and i feel i can sit back and relax this summer after a years hard work.

Hardest Paper: Maths 2... Everyones been saying Maths was easy, but i really struggled through this paper, and for me Maths 1 wasnt a walk in the park. I dont know what was wrong... i just wasnt up to the task. Maths wont count for me

Easiest Paper: Spanish. Easy paper, Easy Tape, Did great in the oral. I was ready for a much harder Exam, i was pumped up with Spanish knowledge :P But i was pleasantly surprised with a very simple paper. A great way to end my Leaving :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Hardest:English, WHY DID I DO TEXT 3???
    Easiest:Physics
    Overall:Really laid back...dont need points

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Hardest: I would say Maths Paper 2, and even then it wasn't all that hard, just extremely disappointing for me. I had done well in paper 1 and then just made a complete balls of the rest on the day.

Easiest: Physics, I scraped a C3 in the mock and put in a lot of effort since then, but I was still shocked at how much of it I actually knew. :o

Overall: This LC has been one of the most stressful times of my life. I don't think I need a huge amount of points and I have an awful feeling that what I get in August isn't going to be the best that I could have gotten, but I don't care. I have never been one for studying much, more a night before person, and I think I was incredibly lucky with what came up in most subjects. I would never ever do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Easiest - English P2

hardest Irish P1

Anyone else find that their best/easiest subject pissed them off the most???

I was almost guaranteed an A1 in Geography but I ****ed up the timing for Biome question and i'm fairly sure I won't get the A1 now. I was fuming coming out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

mars bar wrote: »
    Hardest:Accounting by a million miles
    I think anyone who did Accounting says that......An absolute disgrace of an exam. I was delighted with the LC up until Tuesday. Everything was going brilliant...Accounting was my last exam and the paper was just laughable. If I failed it, which is likely, I'll probably end up repeating. :mad:
    Thanks alot Christy Tyrell

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Hardest: The hardest for me was maths Paper 2 (HL) cos I'm crap at maths but I'd say the hardest paper overall was Business purely because of the lack of time.

Easiest: Easiest for me was French (HL) and Irish Paper 1 (HL) but I'd say biology was probably one of the easiest papers overall just not for me cos I'm lazy and didn't study.:(

Overall: Got mad stressed when I realised that I'm not even gonna do as well as I did in the mocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

easiest paper: probably irish paper one. easy comprehensions and i did a 4 page essay on the health service, so i was pretty pleased i guess. spanish was good fun too.

hardest paper: history or geography. i'm usually good at geography but my teacher's chronic and we didn't have any predictions for what'll come up like loads of people seem to have had :( it was just really arduous and waffly... and history, well nothing i expected came up other than the fall of communism and i have a feeling i did my later ireland essay on the completely wrong thing, so that's not very nice to know...

overall:it was tough going. knowing that after every exam that you had to study more and more and more every afternoon... hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Hardest: Geography (time)
    Easiest: Business
    Overall: I remained relatively calm, was disappointed about a few exams but you just move on and do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 roy harper

Easiest: Chemistry....... had a great teacher! and Math ii was very easy.

Hardest: Tech Paper 1, well it was an easy paper i just was not prepared.

Overall:
    It was surprisingly easy! Like the hardest part was the build up. The stress and pressure seemed to evaporate during the exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Easiest: Chemistry (OL) - Went back to pass on the day. We got a flame test...a bloody flame test! Was dancing out the door.

Hardest: Hmmm...English paper II because I didn't prepare well enough for it. Bit annoyed bout that.

Overall: It was fine. I expected my eyes to start bleeding halfway through it the way some people were going on about it. I guess I'm not aiming high though so I can't say much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

i only finished yday cos of music!!

i thought that french higher level was tough cos i didnt like the topics we had to write about but the tape was easy so it wasnt too bad!!

a lot of the papers were easy so it was hard to decide what was the easiest.. art history was simple (although that depends on what essays u learnt, luckily i had learnt degas and renoir)..english was fairly predictable and so was biology

overall, none of the subjects i did were that tough and i found the papers to be nice this year!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Preparing for the Leaving, waiting for it, being stressed and motivating yourself was the most difficult thing

The exams themselves were nearly an anti-climax!!

Easiest:Business and Irish

Hardest:French (purely because one was made think outside the box for essay questions. Wasn't what I expected but did well. Comprehensions were nice tho and so was the Aural. Fantastic paper from the SEC point of view)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Best: Irish and Economics. Irish was a dream-health system, my favourite poems and stories and a simple tape. Flew Economics, it was great. Left both of those smiling.

Worst: Business, well i just didn't do the work I should have done. And Maths, I could have gotten an A1, but i just didnt do it on the day.

Overall, I'm just glad its over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement