Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 Hyundai Coupe or 03 Audi TT

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Right,

I've had my current car since i passed my test 5 years ago. Its a 98 Hyundai Accent and has been the best investment i have ever made :) Started every time and never ever broke down, not even once.

Therefore i was thinking of along the lines "If its not broke, dont fix it".

However, i believe the time has come for an upgrade. :)

I am torn between either a 2007 Hyundai Coupe or a 2003 Audi TT, because they are both similar price 2nd hand and within my price range.

I'm not that "up" on cars so need some advice. Obviously the TT will come with more milage but i have herd nothing but good reviews on both the car and the quality of Audi cars. Hyundai is obviously "car 1st name 2nd", but i have had no problems with my Accent.

Which would people advise going for? Tough choice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

if you aren't a car person - reliability-wise, the audi is not a hyundai. Hyundai are immense in this area - and the warranty they offer is very good - only beaten by its Kia sibling.

tt looks nicer - but again, to run the cars, the audi will be more expensive to service - and if anything goes wrong - will be more expensive to repair - and not forgetting that, since its older and higher mileage, its more likely of the two that the audi will go wrong.

for non car people, i always suggest low mileage and new - minimise your chance of going wrong.

having said all of that.. the hyundai coupe and hair-dresser are often spoken in the same line! but that may not worry you? Indeed I was lookng at an 08 coupe just a few weeks ago - quite a smart looking thing.

have a look at some of the other hyundais/kias in the range - something like the c'eed/i30 might be another option - and for the money i suspect youre spending brand new might be an option.

hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

The question is what engine and what type of mileage on both?

The Hyundai are all show very little go.
    Im not a huge fan of the TT, ive only being a passenger in one, dissappointed me.
    Maybe a newer MX5?
    How much money are you talking about parting with?

Out of the 2 i would go with the Coupe? Don't know why really

Plus what geoff said.
    What about the Pro'cee'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

geoff29 wrote: »
    if you aren't a car person - reliability-wise, the audi is not a hyundai. Hyundai are immense in this area - and the warranty they offer is very good - only beaten by its Kia sibling.

tt looks nicer - but again, to run the cars, the audi will be more expensive to service - and if anything goes wrong - will be more expensive to repair - and not forgetting that, since its older and higher mileage, its more likely of the two that the audi will go wrong.

for non car people, i always suggest low mileage and new - minimise your chance of going wrong.

having said all of that.. the hyundai coupe and hair-dresser are often spoken in the same line! but that may not worry you? Indeed I was lookng at an 08 coupe just a few weeks ago - quite a smart looking thing.

have a look at some of the other hyundais/kias in the range - something like the c'eed/i30 might be another option - and for the money i suspect youre spending brand new might be an option.

hope that helps

Thanks Mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The TT's imo are awful to drive and thats why they got the hairdresser image, i.e. they are good to be seen in.

It will be more expensive to run (insurance etc) and the TB which needs to be done at about 70k is a very expensive front of car off job.

If thats not an issue, then for looks(personally) and resale I would go TT (185bhp), it should also easily burn the Hyundai off in a straight line too, the 225bhp would be quicker still.

Hyundai coupes don't get the respect they deserve imo, and it will always be looked down on compared to the TT.
    I imagine running it would be cheaper than the TT, but then again you'll probably loose more in resale.

cabrwab wrote: »
    The question is what engine are in both Mileage?

Maybe a newer MX5?

+1 on the pro'ceed! MX5 interesting option also!

• Advertisement

cabrwab wrote: »
    The question is what engine are in both Mileage?

The Hyundai are all show very little go.
    Im not a huge fan of the TT, ive only being a passenger in one, dissappointed me.
    Maybe a newer MX5?
    How much money are you talking about parting with?

Out of the 2 i would go with the Coupe? Don't know why really

Plus what geoff said.

Well i could strech to about £15,000 (im from england), but anything around the £10k mark would be sound.

Also note, i am in no rush to get a new car so if i have to wait 6-12 months for the price to come down thats sound.

In regards to the previous post, im not really bothered about the hairdresser tag lol, that doesnt really affect me to be fair. Just want a nice, reliable, decent car.

TomPich wrote: »

In regards to the previous post, im not really bothered about the hairdresser tag lol, that doesnt really affect me to be fair. Just want a nice, reliable, decent car.

reckon you've answered your question ;)

Hyundai Coupe:
    nice - check
    reliable - check
    decent - check

might be a new model out over course of next year though - so that would be my only concern for resale etc. do have a look at the pro'ceed though:

kia-pro-ceed-hatchback-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

TomPich wrote: »
    Well i could strech to about £15,000 (im from england), but anything around the £10k mark would be sound.

Also note, i am in no rush to get a new car so if i have to wait 6-12 months for the price to come down thats sound.

OP did you look at the Toyota Celica? Seems to me to be a good compromise between the TT and Coupe. In VVTi-L form the Celica has the pace of the TT and the reliablity of the Coupe. It probably handles nicer than both too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Right well just threw my eyes on auto-trader. For 12000 to 16000 you can buy new Kia pro'cee'd, new mx 5, or new coupe up to 2l.

So your choice is really good with the budget you have.
    I'd say in england you have a better choice.

Go newer, that way you'll get years(hopefully) of better motoring rather then any second hand model, unless you really want a premium brand you'll have to go second hand.

+1 on the celica, was going to suggest, for the excellent engine alone the looks are too old though for me

Thanks guys, the Kia looks nice so i'll defo consider it.

As for the TT, i think it sounds v expensive to run so i'll prob leave that one.

I defo think its either an 07/08 Coupe, probably an 07 as i only wana stretch my money if i have to :)

Thanks for all the help guys. Muchly appreciated. If anyone has anymore points, feel free to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The brother in law has a Hyundai Coupe (2005) with about 90k km on it. It's his second one, he had a 2003. He hasn't had a days trouble with either of the two and because he likes his current so much he isn't changing it. It's blue in colour with a brown/black on red interior. Lovely car, small bit heavy to drive. 1.6 is plenty in them. He's 6"5 so there isn't much room in the back. He services it himself and he says the car is perfect. The ONLY thing is, and i've noticed it myself in coupes i've seen, is the leather wears badly from gettin in and out of the car (just on the outside edge, bucket type seats)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Here's a few links to the cars above. There's lots of info and plenty of interior/boot and exterior pictures to check out.

Audi TT
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/audi/tt-coupe-1999.aspx

Hyundai
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/hyundai/coupe-2002.aspx

Toyota Celica
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/toyota/celica-coupe-1999.aspx

I'd pick the Celica. :D

The brother in law has a Hyundai Coupe (2005) with about 90k km on it. It's his second one, he had a 2003. He hasn't had a days trouble with either of the two and because he likes his current so much he isn't changing it. It's blue in colour with a brown/black on red interior. Lovely car, small bit heavy to drive. 1.6 is plenty in them. He's 6"5 so there isn't much room in the back. He services it himself and he says the car is perfect. The ONLY thing is, and i've noticed it myself in coupes i've seen, is the leather wears badly from gettin in and out of the car (just on the outside edge, bucket type seats)

Awesome ! I understand people think they are hairdresser cars but they do look fairly nice/sporty and are reliable. I'm not looking for speed, just a comfortable 70 down the motorway so a 1.6 would be great for me.

They are affordable which is great to. I think i'll go for an 07 but take my time. May have to get the dad and brother on the scene as they are more car savy than me :)

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Here's a few links to the cars above. There's lots of info and plenty of interior/boot and exterior pictures to check out.

Audi TT
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/audi/tt-coupe-1999.aspx

Hyundai
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/hyundai/coupe-2002.aspx

Toyota Celica
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/toyota/celica-coupe-1999.aspx

I'd pick the Celica. :D

Thanks mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Have you tried sitting in a Coupé? I'm 6 foot nothing, and I don't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I think it's a question only you can answer really, if it was me id go for the TT. I wouldn't really be into either (looks wise) but would prefer the TT. I wouldn't personally consider the Hyundai a lads car either but then thats also down to how you see it personally.
    The TT is considerably more powerfull, it's more of a sports car. The Hyundai is new with no milage so I would expect it to last longer.

I wouldn't buy either personally but which you would buy would depend on whats important to you

Edit: Would ye consider a 350z or s2000?

Or if your based in the UK (so don't need to VRT) and could stretch to 17k then this only has 28k miles (I would want it in black only though) -

media?id=727885123

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I owned a TT 1.8T 180 bhp quattro. No problems really apart from wear and tear. Not a good car to be a passenger in as very solid but it was a good drive. The quattro is great excelerating out of bends. Have a new A5 now and I have to say the TT was far ahead even though the A5 is new and the TT was 8 years old when sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

My pick would be the TT. I'm not a big fan of those cheap Korean yokes..;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement