Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment complex forcing me to use thier television service:

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

I have recently moved into a new apartment and I have a query in relation to the provision of network facilities for apartment owners.

As a resident of the development, I have the right to choose a network provider for your TV and broadband facilities. This is stipulated in Clause 18 of the conditions of sale (see below).

A company owned by the development are insisting that, because they own the satellite dish for the development, I am obliged to choose them as provider at a cost of €216 per annum.

On moving into the development I got a company to install Sky into my apartment, (I have paid for my sky subscription but have not paid the on site utility provider) which they have subsequently disconnected my satellite service.

As you can see the last line of the clause specifically states that it is up to me whether I wish to avail of the on-site utility provider or an alternative provider so therefore this company appear to have no basis for their charges.

Clause 18 Technology:

"The vendor will install an internal cabling system for Broadband,
    Sky+ TV, Home Telemetry and an internal Sound System. The upgrading
    of same, to include for hardware will be a matter for the Purchaser and any works pertaining to same will be between the Purchaser and whatever hardware provider they choose. All extra-over connection charges and hardware charges will be a matter for the Purchaser. In the case of Broadband and the TV, the Vendor will introduce a utility supplier to the site; however connection to same will be a matter for the Purchaser. The Vendor does not stand over the quality of the service of the utility providers and invites the Purchaser to satisfy themselves as to the quality of the service. It will be at the Purchaser's discretion as to whether they decide to avail of the on-site utility provider or an alternative provider."

I have since contacted Sky to have an additional satellite dish installed for the residents and the on site provider has stop them from doing so. I wish to know if this company has the right to stop Sky or any other alternative provider from installing a communal dish into the development.

Has anyone had this issue, only being able to use the service you choose, after paying for a service you do not want to use,

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Have you contacted the Management COmpany about this? From what you have pasted here, it does seem it is up to you, however in the complex I am living in residents have being fighting over having an alternative option for the past 5 years (since the apartments were built), and whilst the builders still own even 1 of the dwellings, we have to comply with what the builder signed up to. Sky dishes though are generally not allowed on apartments - think it may have something to do with the same reason why clothes are not allowed to be hung in the balcony, but maybe you could choose an alternative cable service rather than a dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think once you {meaning: the residents} have control of the management company it's easy enough.

I imagine most MCs will be okay with installing a communal dish on the roof, but most will not be OK with dishes on balconies.

Whether you agree with that or not is another matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey thanks for the replies,

It is a communal dish I am looking for on the roof, not a balcony one. It just stinks that I have to use a service, that is not widely known and is pants in terms of channels etc,

I think the management company is the way to go,

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

gabgab wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the replies,

It is a communal dish I am looking for on the roof, not a balcony one. It just stinks that I have to use a service, that is not widely known and is pants in terms of channels etc,

I think the management company is the way to go,

Is it Sky Conway by any chance?

Shower of cowboys are involved in nearly all the danninger developments in town...
    They claim to own the cabling as they exclusively cabled the apts. This would prevent another supplier such as magnet, NTL or Sky (communal dish) using the existing wiring to provide a service to the building....

If they wish to supply a service they need to re-cable thr entire building == running cables, drilling holes, chasing walls, replastering etc == Expensive!

So alternative providers have no interest in providing a service to this type of monopolised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

geecee wrote: »
    Is it Sky Conway by any chance?

Shower of cowboys are involved in nearly all the danninger developments in town...

Mate of mine had them in a danninger block and was sick of them and their so called broadband , he found the ducts and used to randomly loosen cables and ring the management company every day for weeks

They got rid of sky conway 8)

• Advertisement
Advertisement