Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critise my diet

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I need to lose approx 40lbs - but the healthy way. I've come up with a plan and have been sticking to it for the last two weeks with average results. Any critism?

Breakfast
    Bran Flakes with small pot fat-free yogurt

Lunch
    Homemade veg soup (i.e. all veg roasted in oven and then put through a blender)

Dinner
    Chicken / Steak / Mince / Fish
    with steamed / oven roasted veg

P.S. veg never includes potatoes.

I also drink two coffees a day and then 6 pints of water.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This all sounds great to me, you are getting plenty of fibre form your veggies, but you might be under-eating. Make sure your portions of vegetables are very large. I suggest also including some protein with your lunch - how about having a chicken salad along with your soup, or a cold boiled egg and some salad veggies, or a pot of Glenisk natural yoghurt? Alternatively you could add some beans or lentils to make your soup more filling and nutritious.

I also suggest having a little fruit each day, perhaps after dinner or lunch, and the odd serving of raw nuts or seeds (think 10 almonds, or 15 pistachios, or a small handful of sunflower seeds) in between meals to make sure you are getting some good fats.

This will up your calorie intake and may boost your metabolism to lose a bit more weight. With 40 lbs to lose, you can expect a loss of 0.5 - 1.5 lbs a week at first, and slower later on.

Some exercise 3-4 times a week will speed things up.

Take your time though, there's no rush and your body will be less likely to put it back on if you lose it slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I Breakfast
    Bran Flakes with small pot fat-free yogurt

Lunch
    Homemade veg soup (i.e. all veg roasted in oven and then put through a blender)

Dinner
    Chicken / Steak / Mince / Fish
    with steamed / oven roasted veg

P.S. veg never includes potatoes.

I also drink two coffees a day and then 6 pints of water.
    I pretty much agree with Neuro-praxis. On the surface it seems very healthy but you seem to be eating very little over the course of the day and sticking rigidly to three meals. I'd suggest having some fruit and nuts as snacks between meals to make sure your blood sugar levels don't drop.

Also, why not substitute the low fat yoghurt for natural yoghurt. It will be more beneficial from a nutritional point of view.
    With regards to lunch, as Neuro-praxis said, maybe eat some chicken and salad or egg and salad.

IMO, I think that in the longterm this limited food intake and diet could get very boring for you and you'll find yourself looking for treats which may make you fall off the wagon completely so make sure you take a day off every now and be kind to yourself. This is a longterm goal for you so don't be too strict or regimental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Second whata neuro-p has said. A couple of high protein snacks would help a lot, and maybe some protein at lunch as well. Depending on your portion sizes, there is no way I could live on what you just posted without being hungry :o

Advertisement