Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics - How Was it for You??

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I thought it was a very predictable paper with price discrimination comming aswell as monopoly. Few question were tricky I ended up doing Q2 Q7 Q8 Q5

what is meant by 'incentive* of tax' in Q 5... dont really remember how they phrased it but I was not sure about the answer ....any1 know the definition ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jiggy

i did question 2,5,7,8

i hear loads of stuff about inflation this morning so that was good :)

the short questions were grand i thought but i was like "say what!" when i saw the supply curve one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shadowspawn

lol ye it was fixed supply curve..Hopefully:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

i thought that was a nice paper :) did 1, 2, 4, 5.
    hadnt had any sleep this night.. but it was worth it though.. exact questions that i v studied came up :D
    but.. still managed to get a couple of slips.. but hopefully it would be so bad :)

and yeeeeey!!!! finished!!! it was nice enough exam to finish with.. after the accounting especially :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I thought it was very nice, no big surprises.

Short Qu: A few a little tricky
    Q1: loved that, a little bit long- -1.8 for the PeD?
    Q2:Grand
    I avoided enterprise, cos it looked different
    Q5: Fine, I got a decrease of asround 14% which i thought was a little weird
    Q8: Fine again, the banks bad debt was the only different thing, i said they'd increase their reserve ratio? Got 114.something for my CPI

Overall very happy. Now off to study music. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Fuascailt wrote: »
    I thought it was very nice, no big surprises.

Short Qu: A few a little tricky
    Q1: loved that, a little bit long- -1.8 for the PeD?
    Q2:Grand
    I avoided enterprise, cos it looked different
    Q5: Fine, I got a decrease of asround 14% which i thought was a little weird
    Q8: Fine again, the banks bad debt was the only different thing, i said they'd increase their reserve ratio? Got 114.something for my CPI

Overall very happy. Now off to study music. Lol.

Brilliant paper..couldnt have asked of a easier one...i took so long drawing the Question 1 diagrams but was good overall..

ye i got a PED of -1.8...wooooooooo
    finished forever:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Soby wrote: »
    Brilliant paper..couldnt have asked of a easier one...i took so long drawing the Question 1 diagrams but was good overall..

ye i got a PED of -1.8...wooooooooo
    finished forever:D:D:D:D
    I got the same answers as above:D

I did q's 1,2,5,6. I think it was a nice paper overall- the short questions were of a different style compared to past years though.
    Did anyone get terms of trade between 2 and 3 for one of the goods?

rc28 wrote: »
    I got the same answers as above:D

I did q's 1,2,5,6. I think it was a nice paper overall- the short questions were of a different style compared to past years though.
    Did anyone get terms of trade between 2 and 3 for one of the goods?

yea, i got that. and 1/3 and 1/2

yea, i got that. and 1/3 and 1/2

Excellent, got the 1/2 and 1/3 too:)

What did people say for why mnc's aren't locating in Ireland anymore- I struggled to get 5 solid points. One of my reasons was that there is a lack of science and tech/computer graduates in ireland so this is discouraging those sort of companies to locate here- would that be acceptable. Also, is it ok to have two separate points about the high cost of labour and the high costs of running a business in Ireland(electricity etc)?
    I mentioned our poor broadband and transport infrastructure too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 benzwOw

did q's 1,2,3,4. Brilliant paper.
    3 types of price discrimination? wtf
    1. when monopolist sells same goods and service to different consuumers and
    2. when different quantities of goods sold to same consumer at different prices and
    3rd...??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Excellent, got the 1/2 and 1/3 too:)

What did people say for why mnc's aren't locating in Ireland anymore- I struggled to get 5 solid points. One of my reasons was that there is a lack of science and tech/computer graduates in ireland so this is discouraging those sort of companies to locate here- would that be acceptable. Also, is it ok to have two separate points about the high cost of labour and the high costs of running a business in Ireland(electricity etc)?
    I mentioned our poor broadband and transport infrastructure too.

Poor infrastrucutre

Cheaper labour elsewhere

Center of EU moving East

unstable economy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

1st Degree PD - Reduce Consumer Surplus.
    2nd Degree PD - Usually in form of Bulk Buying. i.e. Buying Economies.
    3rd Degree PD - Identifies and groups consumers based on their elasticity.

For Intl Trade question, did anyone get that WO for Clothing increased by 25%, WO for TV's decreased by 13.333333% therefore both countries benefit as 25% > 13.3333333%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Overall I was very pleased with it.

Did Q2, Q5, Q6, & Q7

Incidence of Tax confused me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Same questions answered as the OP.

I thought Economics or eh....Eacnamaíocht was going to be the spanner in the works. Only got 50% on the mocks, which is bad considering it's not that challenging really when you get stuck in. Today was SEXY.

Two full questions completely spot on, they'd be hard pushed to nick marks of me there- the other two were strong as well, and I got lucky with the short questions.

I only studied last night, I aimed to go up 10%, say it's a B1 job. Sehr-happy.

The whole leaving was pot-luck, but I'm a lucky bloke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

this was the last exam and this is all im sayin

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's over guys, It's over:pac:

Timans wrote: »
    1st Degree PD - Reduce Consumer Surplus.
    2nd Degree PD - Usually in form of Bulk Buying. i.e. Buying Economies.
    3rd Degree PD - Identifies and groups consumers based on their elasticity.

For Intl Trade question, did anyone get that WO for Clothing increased by 25%, WO for TV's decreased by 13.333333% therefore both countries benefit as 25% > 13.3333333%?

Hmmm i think i got 66.66%>14.2%

Soby wrote: »
    Poor infrastrucutre

Cheaper labour elsewhere

Center of EU moving East

unstable economy

I managed to include what you said above except the bit about our unstable economy.

nope it was 25%>14.2% 70 decrease to 60 that was 10/70 decrease which is 14.2 decrese

30 increase to 40 increase of 10/40 which is 25 %

=> 25%>14.2%

maybe i did get 25... hopefully

I defo got the 14%

Crap, I think I got something like the increase of 25% is better than the decrease of 14%, I can't remember the goods that applied to though

Crap, I think I got something like the increase of 25% is better than the decrease of 14%, I can't remember the goods that applied to though

you're fine man stop worryin I got the same. Now if this was your last exam enjoy FREEDOM:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

those short questons were hard. I answered them all but i'd say i got a couple wrong. the supply curve was normal up to the 14 million on the Q axis. Then it went perfectly elastic (straght up).

Q1, ok. i spent too long on the law of demand. I gave so many examples of it and examples for goods that don't obey it etc...
    The graphs were grand. Did we have to do them on graph paper??? I said it shifted to the right because of changes in taste and an increase in consumers income.

Q2 good. the deregulation part was good, i just read over that last nite so it really helped. i sed the consumers benefit because of better service and cheaper goods/service. Workers have more jobs to choose from and higher wages. and the profits are eroded, no more SNPs.

Q3 ok. I didnt do the third part cos i ran out of time. part one was all definitons etc.. part 2, i said her supply price was €40000 i think. and her economics rent was €35000 or something. Good considering i didnt understand economic rent until last nite.

Q8 the first part was sh1t for me cos i did it in like five minutes. i said the banks would banks create less credit as they dont wanna get bad debts. then for part (iii) said band debts and must obey PLR. sh1t part for me only like a page long including the 'how banks create credit' part
    Part two was easy. All about the affects of inflation. my definition of inflation was only like four lines tho.
    part three took like 5 minutes. got 100 for base year (obv) and like 114.23 or something like that for current year.

overall i think got about 65% so either a C1 or a C2. good considering i only did like 85% of the paper. the short questions and question 1 took ages! I'm pretty happy cos i failed my xmas exam! woo!

one more left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

I thought it was a nice paper considering the last two i did ; Physics and Accounting AARRR.

Yeah did get incentive tax either, typed into google. I think it is like a tax cut people get to encourage environment stuff . not in the book but sorta makes sense now.
    http://glossary.eea.europa.eu/terminology/concept_html?term=incentive%20tax

got something like 12% inflation?

Peleus wrote: »
    those short questons were hard. I answered them all but i'd say i got a couple wrong. the supply curve was normal up to the 14 million on the Q axis. Then it went perfectly elastic (straght up).

Q1, ok. i spent too long on the alw of demand. I gave so many examples and example for goods that don't obey it etc...
    The graphs were grand. Did we have to do them on graph paper??? I said it shifted to the right because of changed in taste and increase in consumers income.

Q2 good. the deregulation part was good, i just read over that last nite so it really helped. i sed the consumers benefit because of better service and cheaper goods/service. Workers have more jobs to choose from and higher wages. and the profits are eroded, no more SNPs.

Q3 ok. I didnt do the third part cos i ran out of time. i said her supply prics was 40000 i think. and her economics rent was 35000 or something.

Q8 the first part was sh1t for me cos i did it in like five minutes. i said the banks would banks create less credit as they dont wanna get bad debts. then for part (iii) said band debts and must obey PLR. sh1t part for me only like a page long including the 'how banks create credit' part
    Part two was easy. All about the affects of inflation. my definition of inflation was only like four lines tho.
    part three took like 5 minutes. got 100 for base year (obv) and like 114.23 or something like that for current year.

overall i think got about 65% so either a C1 or a C2. good considering i only did like 85% of the paper. the short questions and question 1 took ages! I'm pretty happy cos i failed my xmas exam! woo!

one more left :)

Good luck in that exam Peleus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Burner- wrote: »
    I thought it was a nice paper considering the last two i did ; Physics and Accounting AARRR.

Yeah did get incentive tax either, typed into google. I think it is like a tax cut people get to encourage environment stuff . not in the book but sorta makes sense now.
    http://glossary.eea.europa.eu/terminology/concept_html?term=incentive%20tax

got something like 12% inflation?
    For the CPI caluculation?

I got 14.8% inflation I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

does she earn an economic rent?
    I said no because ER is anything over transfer earnings, and the transfer earning is €75000

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

armbruster wrote: »
    I said no because ER is anything over transfer earnings, and the transfer earning is €75000

she does i think. If a footballer earns 100000 a year. and his next best job is a job as a builder for 60000 a year. he's earning economic rent of 40000. so if she moves to the job for 75000 shes earning 35000 more than her previous job and is earning an economic rent of 35000 in her new job.

can anyone confirm this????
    Good luck in that exam Peleus

cheers random chatbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 crammer123

armbruster wrote: »

hmm i said yes because her supply price is only 40000...:confused:

you're fine man stop worryin I got the same. Now if this was your last exam enjoy FREEDOM:D:D

Yup, i'm finished now- can't believe it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BigRedAidan

I thought it was a very predictable paper with price discrimination comming aswell as monopoly. Few question were tricky I ended up doing Q2 Q7 Q8 Q5

what is meant by 'incentive* of tax' in Q 5... dont really remember how they phrased it but I was not sure about the answer ....any1 know the definition ?
    I think you're talking about "the incidence of taxation" and that's who ends up paying the tax (either the consumer or the producer) depending on the P.E.D. The more elastic the more the producer pays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

I did Q 1, 3, banking and trade.

Wasnt too bad. Hopefully i get all the marks for the composite price index. Im not sure how much working you have to show?
    Do you just show simple price index and multiply by weights and add up?:rolleyes:

Advertisement