Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

so many L plates all of a sudden!

Options
  • 18-06-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the number of L plates on cars has increased dramatically since the start of the 'blitz'. Must have been alot of L- drivers not displaying them before hand...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, I've noticed a huge increase also. I've also noticed a lot of L platers creeping timidly along the left lane of motorways on their best behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I wonder if this will improve the quality of vehicle on the roads? I presume there will be less people starting out on there own 1 litres and learneing to drive in there parents cars instead at a younger age?

Also does anyone know the penalty for getting caught driving as a learner driver without being accompanied by a qualified driver. A mate of mine (driving two years, never did/applied for a test completely his own fault) is a provisional driver and he keeps telling me he's just gonna drive away on his own without L plates. What would happen if he got caught?

And in case you are wondering its not me I have my licence since last August.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Also does anyone know the penalty for getting caught driving as a learner driver without being accompanied by a qualified driver
    Deedsie - do a bit of a search - it has been discussed ad nauseum here! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Deedsie - do a bit of a search - it has been discussed ad nauseum here! ;)

Sorry Boardsies. I was being lazy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

ive noticed a lot of older people with l plates displayed since the blitz started

• Advertisement

ive noticed a lot of older people with l plates displayed since the blitz started
    Many of those would be parents of Learner children. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Many of those would be parents of Learner children. ;)
    some id image but not all hopefully the blitz will continue full time and lead to safer roads my only question is why cant the guards use this blitz full time and clamp down on drink drivers more etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I thought I was imagining things, they seem to have popped up everywhere in the last few weeks. Also my parents live in a town that has a test centre -- two now actually since the SGS outsourcing started -- and in the last few weeks I've noticed you can hardly move for all the L-platers reversing around corners and suchlike. The morning before my test I was out practising and I came across 4 other people with exactly the same idea as me. When I was getting lessons about a year ago I might see one other person doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

some id image but not all hopefully the blitz will continue full time and lead to safer roads my only question is why cant the guards use this blitz full time and clamp down on drink drivers more etc

because its a bit of a waste of time and money (well the L plates issue)

know (have a few mates in the garda) that the vast majority of cops involved in the "blitz" last weekend were trainees up 4 a few days practical experience form templemore. hence the reason any of them i met didnt seem to have a clue and were fairly easy to talk around.

dont have the garda force to be doing that on a full time

rain on wrote: »
    in the last few weeks I've noticed you can hardly move for all the L-platers reversing around corners and suchlike. The morning before my test I was out practising and I came across 4 other people with exactly the same idea as me
    Any of you who are out there practising specific manoeuvres should bear in mind that others may actually be doing their test at the same time so show some consideration.

For many years, the area outside my mothers house had been used for turnabouts. She was telling me that, in the past few weeks, queues are forming as people wait to take their turn to practise. This has been causing interference to actual tests with the result that the examiners are bringing candidates elsewhere.

There is no need to visit the normally used turnabout/reversing area to practise. It can be done on any similar type road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Exactly! I've noticed it as well. They were hidden before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

In July though, shouldn't most L-plates technically 'vanish' off the roads (apart from those accompanied)? Cos no-one will be supposed to be out on their own?

I was talking to one friend yesterday who reckons she's just gonna continue driving and take the L-plates down. Me personally, I'm probably going to have to start getting the train to work again. I don't think I could cope with the stress of looking for guards round every corner :o

Oh, and I'm applying for my third provisional soon, and I'm supposed to send off my current license with the application. What am I supposed to show a guard if I'm stopped? :o

missmatty wrote: »
    In July though, shouldn't most L-plates technically 'vanish' off the roads (apart from those accompanied)? Cos no-one will be supposed to be out on their own?
    And risk getting caught for two seperate offences!
    missmatty wrote:
    Oh, and I'm applying for my third provisional soon, and I'm supposed to send off my current license with the application. What am I supposed to show a guard if I'm stopped? :o
    You could photo-copy both sides of the licence before sending it off. Gardai are accustomed to these situations and it particularly bothers them they will ask you to present it to your local GS at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Morgans

Is there a penalty for incorrectly displaying L plates. Girlfriend practicing for her test at the moment and doing the vast majority of the driving as a result, do I need to take them down every time I drive?

Sorry if it has been discussed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

And risk getting caught for two seperate offences!

You could photo-copy both sides of the licence before sending it off. Gardai are accustomed to these situations and it particularly bothers them they will ask you to present it to your local GS at a later date.

Thanks, that's a good idea! Oh and I didn't mean to imply that I approve of people taking down their ellers, not at all!
    I mean L plates should be seen less on the roads as those driving alone shouldn't be out :D

Advertisement