Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why so afraid to go it alone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I agree that civic duty is only ONE of the basic tenants of republicanism. Another one would be liberty - i.e., free to vote for who and what I want without being bullied by a crowd of dictators. The most important tenant in this instance, as far as I'm concerned is the rule of law, which cannot be ignored by the government. Opposition to corruption is another one - but shock, horror 2007 was the THIRTEENTH year in a row that the auditors for the EU have refused to sign off on their financial accounts. And you want to give them even more power. Hmmm?

Which dictators? Were they outside your polling station handing you ballot papers that just had a yes option on them? Because I didn't see any at mine and there were two options on my ballot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

marco_polo wrote: »
    Which dictators? Were they outside your polling station handing you ballot papers that just had a yes option on them? Because I didn't see any at mine and there were two options on my ballot.

No, the crowd in Brussels who are telling me to vote again because the last time I voted, I didn't give the right answer?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No, the crowd in Brussels who are telling me to vote again because the last time I voted, I didn't give the right answer?

Oh sorry, so it is for the next referendum where we are getting the single option ballot papers.

Oh sorry, so it is for the next referendum where we are getting the single option ballot papers.

Mugabe gets a bit of stick for similar type of activity. What was wrong with our last vote?

Mugabe gets a bit of stick for similar type of activity. What was wrong with our last vote?

Nothing. As there would be nothing wrong with any subsequent votes.

If you are concerned that potential no voters are not being allowed to register to vote, and are being forced to become refugees, then perhaps you ought to bring it up with the relevant state authorites.

• Advertisement

Nothing. As there would be nothing wrong with any subsequent votes.

If you are concerned that potential no voters are not being allowed to register to vote, and are being forced to become refugees, then perhaps you ought to bring it up with the relevant state authorites.

No, as long as they accept that we can't vote on exactly the same Treaty again and someone has to haul them through the courts to keep them on the straight and narrow ;) The whole thing is a bit awkward really.

Wonder what they will do if the Czech people get their vote and say 'No' as well, will they still try and proceed with the Lisbon Treaty.

Oh, and Brown MIGHT be in trouble as well about ratifying it without a Referendum.

Hell of a lot to worry about now, other than little old Ireland. A few more countries might be feeling a bit uneasy about it. What do you think?

No, as long as they accept that we can't vote on exactly the same Treaty again and someone has to haul them through the courts to keep them on the straight and narrow ;) The whole thing is a bit awkward really.

Yes we can, on what legal basis could that be challenged. I a m not saying it wouldn't be a terrible idea and political sucide perhaps, to do so without addressing any concerns of voters.
    Wonder what they will do if the Czech people get their vote and say 'No' as well, will they still try and proceed with the Lisbon Treaty.

Oh, and Brown MIGHT be in trouble as well about ratifying it without a Referendum.

Hell of a lot to worry about now, other than little old Ireland. A few more countries might be feeling a bit uneasy about it. What do you think?

Both of those things have the ability to change things considerably of course. These will have played out one way or the other by the end of the year, and we will know what the situation is one way or the other before we may or may not have to revisit the issue ourselves.

Of course it is possible that there is nothing to revisit next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I don't know about that. Quite a lot of people seem to have been concerned about various issues that both the Yes side and the EU characterised as 'inaccurate', but about which sufficient concern and doubt was felt that people voted No on the strength of them. That being the case, then if what the government said about those issues was in fact true and accurate, they should be able to get guarantees from the other EU members to that effect.

If those guarantees are believed to address the concerns of a sufficient number of voters, it is entirely reasonable to put the matter to the voters again. If it turns out that the guarantees are not sufficient, then the result will be a No again.

That seems to me like a perfectly acceptable piece of democratic bargaining, but I am sure people will disagree (SF particularly).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    If those guarantees are believed to address the concerns of a sufficient number of voters, it is entirely reasonable to put the matter to the voters again. If it turns out that the guarantees are not sufficient, then the result will be a No again.

Any of the discussion that I have heard on TV, radio etc. it seems there is a legal problem with our Constitution with putting exactly the same Treaty again.

Also, among the reasons that they could do it for Nice was that there was a very low turn out the first time (34% I think). Low turn out cannot be used this time.

Any of the discussion that I have heard on TV, radio etc. it seems there is a legal problem with our Constitution with putting exactly the same Treaty again.

Also, among the reasons that they could do it for Nice was that there was a very low turn out the first time (34% I think). Low turn out cannot be used this time.

Actually, the political reason they could put "Nice" again was that the amendment was changed - to include, for example, the constitutional bar on joining a common defence - and guarantees were given by the EU (the Seville declarations) in respect of those things the voters were concerned about (which then, as now, had little relation to the Treaty).

As far as I know there is also no constitutional bar on putting the same question once a week. There's no reference to repeat referendums, or anything like a clause saying "once an amendment has been vetoed it shall not be put forward again". I am open, as ever, to correction, but there doesn't seem to be any legal bar on repeating a referendum, and there definitely isn't anything in the Constitution about it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Actually, the political reason they could put "Nice" again was that the amendment was changed - to include, for example, the constitutional bar on joining a common defence - and guarantees were given by the EU (the Seville declarations) in respect of those things the voters were concerned about (which then, as now, had little relation to the Treaty).

As far as I know there is also no constitutional bar on putting the same question once a week. There's no reference to repeat referendums, or anything like a clause saying "once an amendment has been vetoed it shall not be put forward again". I am open, as ever, to correction, but there doesn't seem to be any legal bar on repeating a referendum, and there definitely isn't anything in the Constitution about it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Thanks for all of that (which I knew). Problem is if any changes/ amendments are made to Lisbon, they will have to go back to all the other countries who have already ratified it. Poor first turnout was also given as a reason for holding Nice II.

There would be no legal bar on a repeat referendum. But (imo), according to the Constitution, it would be an illegal act by the Irish Government / Dail not to accept and ratify the results of the referendum that we had last week ;)

Thanks for all of that (which I knew). Problem is if any changes/ amendments are made to Lisbon, they will have to go back to all the other countries who have already ratified it. Poor first turnout was also given as a reason for holding Nice II.

True. For that reason Lisbon is unlikely to be renegotiated. The question is more likely to be changed to "with the following guarantees, will you allow the government to ratify Lisbon?".
    There would be no legal bar on a repeat referendum. But (imo), according to the Constitution, it would be an illegal act by the Irish Government / Dail not to accept and ratify the results of the referendum that we had last week ;)

There's nothing to 'ratify' though. If an amendment is voted down at referendum, it is simply not passed, so I think your issue there is more with the form of the question. The one you were looking for would be "the Government may not ever ratify the Lisbon Treaty"...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

As far as I can tell they did ratify the result of the Referendum, by not inserting the rejected ammended articles into the constitution. There is nothing more that is required to be done.

Actually this another reason is why an second referendum on an unchanged treaty could not be illegal, because from a technical perspective the object of the referendum was not the Treaty itself but articles giving the government the power to ratify it (This is probably not the most absolutely accurate way of putting it, but is basically what was happening).

As a result of the no vote they do not have the legal authority to ratify the treaty, but they do not have to go back to Europe and say "no we are not ratifing this treaty" to satisy any legal requirement with regard to the referendum validity itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

IRLConor wrote: »
    Well, from the post-referendum survey done (see other thread for link) I'd tend to disagree with you:

Reasons for voting "no" to the Lisbon Treaty:
    |Reason|Percentage of No voters
    1|Because I do not know enough about the Treaty and would not want to vote for something I am not familiar with|22%
    2|To protect Irish identity|12%
    3|To safeguard Irish neutrality in security and defence matters|6%
    4|I do not trust our politicians|6%
    5|We will lose our right to have an Irish Commissioner in every Commission|6%
    6|To protect our tax system|6%
    7|I am against the idea of a unified Europe|5%
    8|To protest against the government's policies|4%
    9|To avoid that the EU speaks with one voice on global issues|4%
    10|Because large Member States decide on EU matters|4%
    11|To protect the influence of small states|3%
    12|It would allow the introduction of European legislation in Ireland, such as gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia|2%
    13|To avoid an influx of immigrants|1%
    14|The EU does not need any fixing, it works fine|1%
    15|Other|14%
    16|DK/NA|3%

The number one reason, by a good margin, is that not only did people not understand what they were voting against but that was the primary reason they did so!
    what ever the reason we voted no and that should be respected. any way its quite clear that this last referendum didnt give them he answer they wanted so we'll have to vote again til they get the answer they want. this time t'll be painted as a do you want to be in the eu or not? which will scare most people and they'll vote yes. we really are living in a rotten and corrupt state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

whitser wrote: »
    what ever the reason we voted no and that should be respected.
    It was, wasn't it? We didn't ratify the treaty, did we?
    any way its quite clear that this last referendum didnt give them he answer they wanted so we'll have to vote again til they get the answer they want.
    Unlikely. There may be one more referendum; if that results in another 'No', that will be the end of it, I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

our no vote should be the end of it. the lisbon should've been buried after our no. but the eu is determined to go ahead. i just hope the cheq's reject this treaty as well. would the yes voters on this forum be as happy on a re-vote if the yes campaign won? all happy to call for a re-vote when ypu loose. i've lost any repect for the establishment in this country and the eu.

our no vote should be the end of it. the lisbon should've been buried after our no. but the eu is determined to go ahead. i just hope the cheq's reject this treaty as well. would the yes voters on this forum be as happy on a re-vote if the yes campaign won? all happy to call for a re-vote when ypu loose. i've lost any repect for the establishment in this country and the eu.

Whitser, The Economist thinks the same! Read article here -

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displayStory.cfm?source=hptextfeature&story_id=11580732

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

seamus wrote: »
    That's a whopping 72% of "no" voters who either didn't read or didn't care about the facts of the treaty, and less than 10% of people who actually don't like the EU.
    John Waters had an excellent op-ed piece in last Friday's Times on the subject - subscription required, unfortunately. I read it in the paper edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

We may not neccessarily have to go it alone. It might be possible to join the EEA. The European Economic Area was established after negotiations in 1994 and consists of , Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein together with the EU.
    Members of the EEA participate in the European Single Market without joining the EU. The EEA is based on the same four freedoms of the EU- the free movement of goods, persons, services and capital throughout the EEA countries and EU.
    The downside is that these three States have little influence on decision-making processes in brussels, make a financial contribution to the single market, and have an obligation to implement some EU legislation. Former Norwegian PM ,Jens Stoltenberg, in 2001 described his country as a fax democracy, waiting for the latest legislation to be faxed from the Commission.

The Swiss people have in two referenda ( the last in 2001) rejected joining the EU, and in 1994 rejected joining the EEA, even though the Swiss Government negotiated with EFTA partners setting up of the EEA.
    The Swiss are not entirely 'euro-wreckers' and did vote by referendum to participate in the Schengen Agreenment in 2004/6, which is something to do with security or asylum.
    Switzerland has since negotiated it's own 'bilateral' relationship with the EU, which is basically the obligations of the EEA.

The talk has been that an Irish rejection of the Lisbon Treaty may lead to Ireland being left in an 'association with the EU' while the other 26 forge ahead; the 'uncharted waters'. The precedent for this association already exists (the EEA) and foreign businesses already here would be a powerful lobby (wishing to have financial inertia-long enough to get their money back) urging the EU to admit Ireland to an EEA relationship.

I specifially said the north of Scotland.
    Oh, I do apologise. Could you outline the huge cultural differences between northern and southern Scotland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

We may not neccessarily have to go it alone. It might be possible to join the EEA. The European Economic Area was established after negotiations in 1994 and consists of , Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein together with the EU.
    Members of the EEA participate in the European Single Market without joining the EU. The EEA is based on the same four freedoms of the EU- the free movement of goods, persons, services and capital throughout the EEA countries and EU.
    The downside is that these three States have little influence on decision-making processes in brussels, make a financial contribution to the single market, and have an obligation to implement some EU legislation. Former Norwegian PM ,Jens Stoltenberg, in 2001 described his country as a fax democracy, waiting for the latest legislation to be faxed from the Commission.

The Swiss people have in two referenda ( the last in 2001) rejected joining the EU, and in 1994 rejected joining the EEA, even though the Swiss Government negotiated with EFTA partners setting up of the EEA.
    The Swiss are not entirely 'euro-wreckers' and did vote by referendum to participate in the Schengen Agreenment in 2004/6, which is something to do with security or asylum.
    Switzerland has since negotiated it's own 'bilateral' relationship with the EU, which is basically the obligations of the EEA.

The talk has been that an Irish rejection of the Lisbon Treaty may lead to Ireland being left in an 'association with the EU' while the other 26 forge ahead; the 'uncharted waters'. The precedent for this association already exists (the EEA) and foreign businesses already here would be a powerful lobby (wishing to have financial inertia-long enough to get their money back) urging the EU to admit Ireland to an EEA relationship.

I think that sounds like a good idea. However the free movement of persons is somehthing I would have a big problem with. Open boarders makes Europe one big country and thats the last thing we should want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

what ever the reason we voted no and that should be respected. any way its quite clear that this last referendum didnt give them he answer they wanted so we'll have to vote again til they get the answer they want. this time t'll be painted as a do you want to be in the eu or not? which will scare most people and they'll vote yes. we really are living in a rotten and corrupt state.

you claim that those who voted no will be scared into voting yes the next time
    judging by your statistics report , it would appear many on the no side this time were scared into voting NO ( most likely by the lies of the NO campaign i might add ) 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I think that sounds like a good idea. However the free movement of persons is somehthing I would have a big problem with. Open boarders makes Europe one big country and thats the last thing we should want.

So who would be allowed in, and who would be allowed to stay, Kev_ps3? I take it that you would see the end of the freedom of movement between Ireland and the UK, and the rest of Europe, right?

And of course the repatriation of Irish abroad back to Ireland.

kevteljeur wrote: »
    So who would be allowed in, and who would be allowed to stay, Kev_ps3? I take it that you would see the end of the freedom of movement between Ireland and the UK, and the rest of Europe, right?

And of course the repatriation of Irish abroad back to Ireland.

Could be a quota system - based on skills needs (similar to how one can emigrate to Australia, Canada etc.).

Anyone here at the moment can stay - no one would be kicked out. Ireland can have a special relationship with the UK (as we had prior to the advent of the EU (by the way, we import more from the UK than they import from us!)

Do I take it that you think that the EU would expel all Irish people living/working in EU countries and they would need to be repatriated back to Ireland (along with all the Irish money invested abroad)?

Two chances. Slim and none.

Do I take it that you think that the EU would expel all Irish people living/working in EU countries and they would need to be repatriated back to Ireland ...
    If Ireland were to leave the EU, then an Irish passport would obviously no longer be an EU passport. Hence, any Irish citizens resident in EU states would (presumably) be required to apply for visas to remain. Any individuals who are refused a visa would be deported (again, presumably; this is hypothetical after all).

Unless of course the Irish government negotiates separate deals with each of the EU member states to allow Irish citizens freedom of movement within said states. This would also mean that, by reciprocity, said member states' citizens would have to be granted free access to Ireland. All of which would leave us in a similar position to that which we are in now, with the added complexity of 27 stand-alone agreements, rather than the one single, all-encompassing agreement we have at present.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Oh, I do apologise. Could you outline the huge cultural differences between northern and southern Scotland?

Highlanders v. Lowlanders ;)
    Urban v. Country (except mainly very remote, large estates, harsh, low population, very inclement weather, lack of sunshine, midges).

Whatever about southern Italians thriving in an urban area (lowlands) in Scotland, I'd say they might find the isolation of the Northern Scotland quite difficult to cope with. As it is, Italians seem to very much stick to themselves anyway and not integrate too much (if you have a look at the Italian restaurants / chipper owners in Ireland).

djpbarry wrote: »
    If Ireland were to leave the EU, then an Irish passport would obviously no longer be an EU passport. Hence, any Irish citizens resident in EU states would (presumably) be required to apply for visas to remain. Any individuals who are refused a visa would be deported (again, presumably; this is hypothetical after all).

Unless of course the Irish government negotiates separate deals with each of the EU member states to allow Irish citizens freedom of movement within said states. This would also mean that, by reciprocity, said member states' citizens would have to be granted free access to Ireland. All of which would leave us in a similar position to that which we are in now, with the added complexity of 27 stand-alone agreements, rather than the one single, all-encompassing agreement we have at present.

We don't have an EU passport. We have an Irish Passport though. Its "The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ireland requests all "..... etc. The EU is not a country (just yet anyway ;)) so doesn't issue passports.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem to sort out any deals as Ireland already has diplomatic relations/trade relations/embassies with/in all of the EU countries. Did you miss the fact that there is a spot of trouble over the trying to get agreement over the Lisbon Treaty. 26 stand-alone agreements might be a lot easier to achieve than to get all 27 countries to agree to the one thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

We don't have an EU passport. We have an Irish Passport though. Its "The Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ireland requests all "..... etc. The EU is not a country (just yet anyway ;)) so doesn't issue passports.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem to sort out any deals as Ireland already has diplomatic relations/trade relations/embassies with/in all of the EU countries. Did you miss the fact that there is a spot of trouble over the trying to get agreement over the Lisbon Treaty. 26 stand-alone agreements might be a lot easier to achieve than to get all 27 countries to agree to the one thing !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_passport

sink wrote: »

Just because the words European Union is stook on the cover of my passport and we all have the same colour doesn't mean its a 'Passport'. Its colour is more like a readily identifiable visa marking really.

It doesn't say the President/Foreign Minister of the European Union requests ...... or that I'm a citizen of the European Union.

How you know its not a Passport that we understand, is that the EU on its own, cannot issue a passport to me. Wiki calling it an EU Passport doesn't mean its actually a Passport.

The fact that people might get it into their heads that they were citizens of European Union might explain why in the first Constitution that the idea of a flag and anthem were dropped - objected to by the French & Dutch I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Just because the words European Union is stook on the cover of my passport and we all have the same colour doesn't mean its a 'Passport'. Its colour is more like a readily identifiable visa marking really.

It doesn't say the President/Foreign Minister of the European Union requests ...... or that I'm a citizen of the European Union.

How you know its not a Passport that we understand, is that the EU on its own, cannot issue a passport to me. Wiki calling it an EU Passport doesn't mean its actually a Passport.

The fact that people might get it into their heads that they were citizens of European Union might explain why in the first Constitution that the idea of a flag and anthem were dropped - objected to by the French & Dutch I think!

If you actually read the article you would read that the EU commission has negotiated visa free travel for EU citizens to countries all over the world. If we left the EU we would no longer be part of those agrements and our passports would no longer be valid, we would have to surrender our passports and get new ones. The likelyhood of us being able to negotiate visa free travel to all these countries bi-laterally would be very slim. The benefits for other countries would not be there.

Advertisement