Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing a charity from the ground-up?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I may soon have the chance to implement significant change in a charity run by my local university. Currently, it sends senior medical students off to third-world hospitals for a 4-6 week elective, and they bring a check with them for the institution they are going, for supplies, etc.

However (and this is just my personal opinion) it's very poorly run on many levels - for example, by simply restructuring their fundraising efforts I can forsee realistically triple their annual fundraising to about €100,000.

There's also no accountability - the checks are made out to the student bringing the money, and there're no phonecalls etc to see if money was received. This shocked me.

So my question is - if you were designing this operation from the ground-up, how would you do it? I envisage a group based on NGO-style workings (although obviously not that advanced) which (A) sends more money where it is needed, and (B) places students where they could be of most use, not where they simply wish to go.

So, how would you design such an organisation?

(I feel that this is the forum where I'd get most positive feedback!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thecola

Fed_Up wrote: »
    (B) places students where they could be of most use, not where they simply wish to go.
    Never have been sent to work in third world hospital, yet I'd guess there is low attraction for those places among general public graduating medicine. It's not like in Scrubs, or in some other nurse movie, all clean, equipment of all kinds functions and patients are mainly suffering excesivelly large personal wealth pressure.
    Having been in some hospitals (thanks God, as a visitor) in some places over the world, I would suggest you not to think of sending someone somewhere compared to their own choice in the first hand. It would drastically reduce your audience.

Second, the money to be sent over - trust me this plan is just as good as existing!
    So what if some director would receive Irish Charity gathered 1,2, or 10k... would buy him/herself a new car, trip to Europe, or just deposit offshore. Why not? You wouldnt audit it afterall. Dont deal with cash as corruption is unbelievable in world, and transparency is 0. Send supplies instead.

Ignore general Western Europe suppliers - there are many hugelly lower priced alternatives as close as in New Europe (Baltics, Poland, Russia).
    Drop cash transactions, you wont track them anywhere. Its much more beneficial to arrive with what's needed. Of course, you will face resistance here too! (guess why?!)

Advertisement