Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modifying front mech?

Options
  • 18-06-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Is there anyway to modify a front mech from a 3 speed to a 2? Only have 2 rings on the big bike and am looking to take the granny ring off the XC bike. Dont want to make the mistake of changing down and the chain to fall off onto the BB though.

Anybody know how to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Scrivo wrote: »
    Is there anyway to modify a front mech from a 3 speed to a 2? Only have 2 rings on the big bike and am looking to take the granny ring off the XC bike. Dont want to make the mistake of changing down and the chain to fall off onto the BB though.

Anybody know how to do this?

Good move - think of all the precious grams you'll save :p.

Use the "L" limit screw to set the mech in a more outboard position. If there isn't enough thread on the screw to allow this you can replace it with a longer one. You can also tension the cable to keep it in this position but I wouldn't rely on it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

To be honest this is a pretty pointless mod (be sure to weigh your granny ring once you get it off) but if you want to do it I'd also suggest getting a Dog Fang to completely rule out any accidental slippage into the BB area. Adds back another 10g or so though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scrivo

Not doing it for the weight really, just because it is fairly useless. Reckon if you are going to be in the granny, you would be as quick walking. Would remove the temptation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well, you could just not use it- dump it and you lose the flexibility with no benefit to you whatsoever. No shame in using a granny ring with a high cadence, I have often overtaken people while in mine.

Advertisement