Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner question about home recording

Options
  • 18-06-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,
    I read the stickies on home recording for beginners but I still have a few questions.
    -Can I record drums, bass,guitar and vocals seperately and then put them all together?
    -What is the Difference between cubase and cubase le?
    -I know firewire is a way of connecting an audio interface to your computer, but how does it connect? I dont have a firewire port
    -Do you need a Mic fir each individual drum or will on mic do for toms of the toms?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Hi,
    I read the stickies on home recording for beginners but I still have a few questions.
    -Can I record drums, bass,guitar and vocals seperately and then put them all together?
    -I know firewire is a way of connecting an audio interface to your computer, but how does it connect? I dont have a firewire port
    -Do you need a Mic fir each individual drum or will on mic do for toms of the toms?
    Thanks

You can indeed. There's a fellow called Paul McCartney often does exactly that with his albums

Cubase LE is a cut down version of Cubase
    Go to http://www.steinberg.net/24_1.html to check the differences.

If it's a desktop you can add a firewire port, it's a card you plug in to your machine.
    Firewire can move more information through it than USB ( a wider bandwidth) so depending on what you want to do can be more versatile than USB.

Some people use a mic (or more!) per drum - however good results can be had from a stereo pair and a kick mic - it's whatever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Hi,
    Thanks

1. Yes, each instrument can record onto a separate track one at a time, then you can mix the levels and FX to your taste.
    2. (usually less expensive version of the program that is missing some key features)
    3. You can buy firewire internal cards that can be place inside your computers PCI slot.
    4. A microphone for each can work very well as opposed to one microphone for both toms.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

Do i need to buy another piece of hardware to put all of the seperate instrument recordings together or can I do it with only an audio interface, a computer and a DAW

6stringedEDIT: Also I am using a laptop so i cant install an internal card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Advertisement