Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where are the wider roads.

Options
  • 18-06-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

With vehicles getting longer and wider with every new version introduced when are they going to widen the roads to accommodate them.

Take an average car, and compare a 10-15 year old car and compare it to todays model. The new Astra is wider than the first Astra but you can guarantee the roads arent.

Well not in Monaghan anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There has been a massive amount of road widening over the last 15 years. Methinks a trip back in time would open your eyes. Even apart from the motorway network and national primary road network, the worst sections of many small roads with high traffic volumes have been improved. Sure there are sections of road all over the country that haven't changes much in that time, but these generally have low traffic volumes. The changes have been slow and incremental in many places but to say there have been none is very short sighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Maybe down certain parts of the country but certainly not in urban Dublin where they have made roads narrower and more treacherous for motorcyclists in the last 10 years at the expense of QBC's and cycle lanes. Example: along the grand canal. Merrion road, Northumberland road. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Surely car manufacturers should be building cars that fit on the roads provided, rather than the state running around trying to build roads wide enough to accomodate the cars that the manufacturers have built?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe down certain parts of the country but certainly not in urban Dublin where they have made roads narrower and more treacherous for motorcyclists in the last 10 years at the expense of QBC's and cycle lanes. Example: along the grand canal. Merrion road, Northumberland road. etc.

'for motorcyclists who weave through traffic rather than keeping their correct position on the road', I presume you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭blackbox

Stealdo wrote: »
    Surely car manufacturers should be building cars that fit on the roads provided, rather than the state running around trying to build roads wide enough to accomodate the cars that the manufacturers have built?

In general, cars are safer when they are wider:

Better road-holding
    Less likely to roll over
    Better crumple zones to protect occupants in the event of an impact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Cars are getting wider because of all the extra safety kit that is being fitted to them, Side Air Bags and Side Impact Protection Beams etc.

Our roads for the most part will never be up to best practice standards, as long as our government and councils / corporations continue to redevelope / improve them at the snails pace they currently are.

Where possible all road works should work 24 hours a day and be properly project managed, with least impact to existing roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stealdo wrote: »
    Think about what you wrote!

"Available now: the 2008 Mercedes Benz range in Irish size: 7:8 scale, just to fit those narrow roads...". Those pesky manufacturers.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

Cars are getting bigger also because manufacturers want someone who's been happily driving an Astra, Focus or Golf but now needs or wants a slightly bigger car to consider now buying the "same" model which has probably been reliable for him in the past and is now bigger.

In this way buyers can buy the same model and trade up in size simultaneously.

Otherwise that buyer may need to change model, and if they're changing model are more likely to consider changing manufacturer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

blackbox wrote: »
    In general, cars are safer when they are wider:
    Better road-holding, Less likely to roll over, Better crumple zones to protect occupants in the event of an impact
    That's all true, but it's based on people's current aspirations to have powerful comfortable (and expensive) cars that the manufacturers are happy to sell.

There is another way: just lower the maximum speed limit.

The safety equipment needed for 120kph+ driving adds to weight and fuel consumption. Unnecessary speed adds to risk and also to fuel consumption.

Reduce speed and driving gets cheaper for everyone and traffic will flow better too as merging will be easier and safer.

I think 90kph is the most fuel efficient speed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

That's all true, but it's based on people's current aspirations to have powerful comfortable (and expensive) cars that the manufacturers are happy to sell.

The safety equipment needed for 120kph+ driving adds to weight and fuel consumption. Unnecessary speed adds to risk and also to fuel consumption.

Reduce speed and driving gets cheaper for everyone and traffic will flow better too as merging will be easier and safer.

You're hilarious!!

• Advertisement

Is it possible for you to make a post where you don't fundamentally attack motoring?

The safety equipment for a car to do 90kmh is no larger, heavier or more complicated than that for 120kmh. If we dropped our speed limits, the specification of cars sold here would not change - has it not dawned on you that we haven't manufactured cars in Ireland for about 20 years or more?

The fuel consumption of doing 120kmh over doing 90kmh in a modern car is barely different.

Merging is not a major issue on the few roads here with 120kmh limits - motorways or high quality dual carriageways. The only motorway with a large number of junctions is the M50, which carries a 100kmh limit.

The safety differential between doing 120kmh and 100kmh on a motorway or HQDC - which are the safest type of road possible despite higher speeds - would be immesurable. You just don't - and can't - have head on collisions, this is where terminal speed has the most importance.

So, none of your post has any weight at all. Funny, that...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since the designers of BMW and Chrysler don't live in Monaghan I don't think it ever dawned on them that roads could be narrower than in Germany or US.

It's because the consumers (us) wants big cars to reflect our sudden wealth.
    Sure if everyone drove Micras there wouldn't be a problem.

Good god man do you ever give up with your anti speed rubbish, I never seen such anti motoring BS in all my life, the only bit of this that makes any resonable sense is "traffic will flow better too as merging will be easier and safer" and this would really only apply on single carriageway roads, as for the rest of it same old crap as usual from you.

Speed has little to do with the width of our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MYOB wrote: »
    Is it possible for you to make a post where you don't fundamentally attack motoring?
    WHITE_P wrote: »
    Good god man do you ever give up with your anti speed rubbish, I never seen such anti motoring BS in all my life, the only bit of this that makes any resonable sense is "traffic will flow better too as merging will be easier and safer" as for the rest of it same old crap as usual from you.

Speed has little to do with the width of our roads.
    I love driving, and i'd hate to see cyclopath2001's proposals introduced. He does have a perfect right to his point of view though, particularly seeing as he's actually right (if it were done worldwide).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Surely it would be easier to ban Hummers being purchased rather than widening every single road in the country to accomodate them.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I love driving, and i'd hate to see cyclopath2001's proposals introduced. He does have a perfect right to his point of view though, particularly seeing as he's actually right (if it were done worldwide).

He's not right in the majority of his post (safety equipment) and barely right in the rest (fuel consumption, merging - its just as safe assuming people merge at the right speed, which nobody in Ireland does)

That and he's bundled it all together with his standard anti-motorist vitriol. Can people be banned from Motors for trolling?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That and he's bundled it all together with his standard anti-motorist vitriol. Can people be banned from Motors for trolling?
    How about just appending a disclaimer to each of his posts?

"The views espoused here are about as well founded as King Herod's views on childcare"

He's not right in the majority of his post (safety equipment) and barely right in the rest (fuel consumption, merging - its just as safe assuming people merge at the right speed, which nobody in Ireland does)
    Ah lookit, he's as right as most people are here most of the time.;)
    Just because you (and maybe I) don't agree with it doesn't make it trolling. Do you really want a happy-clappy forum where everyone holds hands?

I used to love driving, before all this PC crap became the main focus of public attention, we had cars that were not loaded with so called safety features, roads that were no where near as well constructed as they are now (even if we still have a long way to go), and most people minded their own business. So while he is just as entitled to his opinion as any of the rest of us, must he try and turn every post he makes on the motors forum into a "Speed Kills" or similar post.

I used to love driving, before all this PC crap became the main focus of public attention, we had cars that were not loaded with so called safety features, roads that were no where near as well constructed as they are now (even if we still have a long way to go), and most people minded their own business. So while he is just as entitled to his opinion as any of the rest of us, must he try and turn every post he makes on the motors forum into a "Speed Kills" or similar post.
    You need balance in these things. I loved the old way too, and I milked it to the max. Still do, when conditions allow. There was and is a price to be paid though, and it's hardly a crime to be reminded of that once in a while.

• Advertisement

Just because you (and maybe I) don't agree with it doesn't make it trolling. Do you really want a happy-clappy forum where everyone holds hands?

Its possible for someone to hold differing views and not be a troll. However, someone who holds and agenda, does not post on anything other than that agenda, and twists as many threads and topics as possible to that agenda is a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

To steer this discussion back on topic ...

Ireland is not the only country with narrow roads.

Any traditional village in France or Italy would make your standard Irish road appear like an autobahn.

Certain mountain roads in Switzerland, Italy or Austria also spring to mind.

Its possible for someone to hold differing views and not be a troll. However, someone who holds and agenda, does not post on anything other than that agenda, and twists as many threads and topics as possible to that agenda is a troll.
    No they're not, they're just opinionated. I mean come on, look at his user name!:D

peasant wrote: »
    To steer this discussion back on topic ...

Any traditional village in France or Italy would make your standard Irish road appear like an autobahn.

Certain mountain roads in Switzerland, Italy or Austria also spring to mind.
    How right you are. I've had Garmin try to send me down French tracks that I physically couldn't fit a Mondeo estate into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

So do we destroy or beautiful countryside or find a way to use the space more effeciently?

New, 'outside-of-the-box' thinking is needed and old assumptions need to be challenged.

So do we destroy or beautiful countryside or find a way to use the space more effeciently?

New, 'outside-of-the-box' thinking is needed and old assumptions need to be challenged.

Neither, actually :D

You will find that the "market" adjusts itself.

You will find that in regions with lots of narrow roads people simply buy cars that fit.

Maybe a re-adjustment is due in Ireland, now that the economy is slowing and people will remember how much easier it was to get around in their old Micra compared to the new, flash bloatmobile.

flash bloatmobile.

Now that is funny. Go on ya good thing.:D

Now that is funny. Go on ya good thing.:D

I prefer Mr Pudding (I think)'s term for it - Luxobarge. Sounds like an actual brand from the 1920s, when a boat maker decided 'we better make road vehicles' :D

well ..a Luxobarge implies that it is somewhat luxurious ...however you can buy bloated cars that are far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

'for motorcyclists who weave through traffic rather than keeping their correct position on the road', I presume you mean?
    There are motorcyclists that weave in and out of traffic and there are others that filter through traffic, theres a difference.

Advertisement