Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Comics Wiki

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

I've just created an Irish Comics Wiki to gather information about Irish comics and comic creators, both current and historical.

The information about Irish comics
    online is patchy, so I hope comics creators and fans will contribute to the wiki and make it a useful resource. This could be helpful to people producing or hoping to make a career in comics.

I've put up some pages, and pasted in some information from Wikipedia, but I'm really relying on other people to get involved.

Cheers,

erok
    http://okerok.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ooooooooh, nifty! I've been meaning to try and collate all the bits and pieces about Irish comics that I've found onto Wikipedia, but it seems that if you're not matey with one of the admins there they start asking for independent sources which kind of nixes the point.

I shall have a proper look at this when I get home tonight and start contributing what I can. Hopefully others will do so as it would be really nice to have a single comprehensive resource detailing the irish comics scene, rather than the current situation of various patchy sources...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 erok

Great! Hopefully people will see the post, but please spread the word too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

great idea - I can think of whole bunch of people that should have a page but need to check some dates and facts before creating them.

Bren B, Chris Judge, Rob Curly/Freakshow need fleshing out. Pages for Tomm More, Paul Young, Barry Reynolds spring to mind and I'm sure a ton more will pop up during the day. Shall cross post to creative ireland and forward info to Scamp.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Coool, I think this'll be a fantastic outlet for the whole Irish comics scene.
    I'll try to help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 erok

Hi Ztoical. Yes loads of people need pages, including you! Ha! Luckily, I think lots of people will get involved.

I've already added Paddy Brown, in Belfast, as a writer. To edit pages, you have to register with PB Wiki - the wiki website - and request access. I'll try to check the wiki every day, so that nobody's waiting around.

• Advertisement

erok wrote: »
    To edit pages, you have to register with PB Wiki - the wiki website - and request access. I'll try to check the wiki every day, so that nobody's waiting around.

I've registered and now I'm waiting to be approved! Ah I feel so unloved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ger_1

Great idea. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

Hi all. Thanks to Erok for making the Wiki. I've been having a bash at it over the weekend. I've made a list of all the names I've been able to track down, and made articles for some of them, including the Cartoon Saloon Boys Ztoical mentions above. Don't know much about them, so anyone who knows more, pitch in and fill them out. I've also roped in Davy Francis - he's waiting for his membership to be approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Howryah Paddy -- welcome to the boards!

including the Cartoon Saloon Boys Ztoical mentions above. Don't know much about them, so anyone who knows more, pitch in and fill them out.

I actually work at the cartoon saloon and am friends with all those guys so itching to add more info - just waiting to be approved so I can add/edit pages.

• Advertisement

Erik's just emailed me to tell me he's on holiday for a couple of weeks. I've replied asking him to approve your registration, but it's possible he might not be able to do that till he gets back. If there's anything you'd really like posted you can send me a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wolfman-Eire

Hey Erok,
    Good luck with this. Wolfman has had a page online for some years now about the irish comic scene http://www.wolfman-productions.com/Scrapbook.html - We recently tried updating this by emailing the respective comic publishers / creators in Dublin but didn't get any response from some. So, again good luck, I hope you can get some of these guys to take the time to email. Maybe you should put FREE PUBLICITY into the subject box of your email!
    Eug

Wolfman P.I.
    PS If you have no objections, and when you get this working we'll put a link on our page. And any help we can offer don't hesitate to ask.
    lonewolf@wolfman-productions.com

Erik's just emailed me to tell me he's on holiday for a couple of weeks. I've replied asking him to approve your registration, but it's possible he might not be able to do that till he gets back. If there's anything you'd really like posted you can send me a private message.

tis all been sorted thou my bad spelling and grammar are now being put to the test - cheers for fixing some of it Patrick lol

No bother. I can be a bit of a hair-trigger stickler when it comes to writing.

I've now identified 104 creators and 90 titles. Anyone know any more? My lists are bound to be a bit northern-biased.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've had a look through the listed titles and it seems you're missing a bunch of Irish webcomics. I've signed up for an account but haven't had access yet, so I'll create articles for them when that's sorted. There's also Three Cheers For Mute Ingloriousness (a cork small press comic from a few years back by Brian Moloney, I think) and Atomic Rocket Group 66 (from Rob Curley & Will Sliney).

Righto, they're on the list. Look forward to finding out about the webcomics. I was at the 2D festival in Derry at the start of the month and I seemed to be the only webcartoonist there. If you're not expecting to make any money in the short-to-medium term, the web is ideal.

Yeah, most of the irish webcomics around are kind of invisible compared to the print comics. It kind of figures, most of them are short lived and seem to be sporadically updated as well. Comes with the territory of being an easier medium for the hobbyists like myself I suppose...

I find it ideal as a long-form storyteller. If you have a long story to tell and you're working in print, you have to get a substantial amount of work done before you can publish it, and it's easy to let other things get in the way. But if you're publishing a page at a time on a blog you can keep the momentum going, because even if you've only got a handful of readers, those handful of people are waiting for the next page. My first storyline's nearly finished (67 pages so far) and I'm planning on collecting it as a book using one of the print-on-demand services when it's done. I'd never have got this far if I was working directly for print.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wolfman-Eire

Hey Patrick,
    I have scanned newspaper articles on irish comics if want them. Plus I can give you more details and bios on new and old comics. My email is lonewolf@wolfman-productions.com
    Eug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 D Shalvey

Nice one lads, great to see a comprehensive list of irish creators all in one place.

Couple o' points;

Rufus Dayglo is Irish, he's from up North somewhere.

Also, i noticed there's no mention of the Eagle Award winning Hero Killers up there (co-created by an irishman, ie, me)

Dec.

• Advertisement

D Shalvey wrote: »

Also, i noticed there's no mention of the Eagle Award winning Hero Killers up there (co-created by an irishman, ie, me)

we're getting there Dec, i can't spell for toffee so am slow to write anything but Patricks been flying along and theres a few people waiting to be approved so they can edit/add stuff. If you want to email me or patrick info for Hero killers that we can throw up there please do.

Righto, more the merrier. I've taken the doubt tag of Rufus's name. Still not convinced about Peter Milligan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Any chance on getting onto this? lol....

Stephen

I wish I could approve you, but the only person who can is Erik, and as far as I know he's not back from his holidays yet. I've sent him an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Thanks man...

It is appreciated....
    Stephen

Advertisement