Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer jobs..

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

now that the leavin is over im just wonderin where everyone is plannin to send their cvs?? any ideas on where to start? i was left lookin for the whole summer last year and not too optimistic about gettin a job this year either :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'd say most people will already have found jobs by now.

Of course, I planned on starting looking in January... 6 months later, I'm almost finished my CV. ... Hmm. So your guess is as good as mine. I think most people get something with the parents for their first job (if it is, is for me, I've been busy every summer until now, and lazy, so lazy), but mine have nothing. Might have to get a job on the strength of my own merit now, faraor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

conbob wrote: »
    now that the leavin is over im just wonderin where everyone is plannin to send their cvs?? any ideas on where to start? i was left lookin for the whole summer last year and not too optimistic about gettin a job this year either :(

Anywhere and everywhere ,jobs are few and far between nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

exactly, its gonna be hard to find a job now, bet most r snatched up already, but i intend to search nonetheless...

i dont want a job, im far too lazy for that! My mam is tellin me to get a job, and my dad is sayin "no, enjoy ur 6th year summer" but keeps changin his mind. i need money for this summer baaddly, holidays, clothes, goin out etc etc and i tink my dad has had enough of me askin for money now.

"ddddaddddddy???/......i need mmooonnneeeyy :D"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Make a website about nothing and pour advertisements all over it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I left mine to do the exams and i was supposed to go back this week but i can't face it yet..

They are not going to be happy with me...

• Advertisement

tasha1 wrote: »
    I left mine to do the exams and i was supposed to go back this week but i can't face it yet..

They are not going to be happy with me...

aww take the break they'll understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I doubt it..

Evil boss woman HATES me..

Meh she'll have to get over it..

I'm good at my job!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

Im looking for one..Be hard to get one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

DAMN YOU SALMAN. DAMN YOOOOOOOU

declan_lgs wrote: »
    DAMN YOU SALMAN. DAMN YOOOOOOOU

^eh:confused::D?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I'm just going to send CVs to all the hotels in ballsbridge. if i get a job as a concierge there imagine the tips i'd get. like 8 euro and hour and €60 tips a day! woo

would it be better to go in and hand in a CV or just send it by mail? If you mail it, its most likely someone will read it but they wont get to see your face. but if you hand it in they see what you look like but they'll probably say something like, oh we're not looking for anyone etc etc... whichis better?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

damn looks like ill be doin work experience this summer then....... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Peleus wrote: »
    I'm just going to send CVs to all the hotels in ballsbridge. if i get a job as a concierge there imagine the tips i'd get. like 8 euro and hour and €60 tips a day! woo

would it be better to go in and hand in a CV or just send it by mail? If you mail it, its most likely someone will read it but they wont get to see your face. but if you hand it in they see what you look like but they'll probably say something like, oh we're not looking for anyone etc etc... whichis better?

Depends how ugly you are. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jobs are hard to come by this summer (there was even an article in The Sunday Tribune two weeks ago talking about how difficult it will be to get jobs after the Leaving with the amount of foreigns now in the country), I'm just finished 5th year and handed out tonnes of CV's in May and also went to an open day in Dundrum T.C.. Ended up getting one the other day out of the blue, and now just got another 3-4 days work at a festival in July.

I think the Hanley Centre might still be looking for people, if you want give me a PM and I'll forward you the mobile number of the guy who looks after the jobs there. My mate is doing it she said it's pretty decent pay for a weeks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Peleus wrote: »

Hand the CV in person, remember the places you handed them in and follow it up with a phonecall a few days later to show that you're actually interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Davidius wrote: »
    Depends how ugly you are. :pac:

very :D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 powpeach

what about the people that have jobs, what do ye do?? the only place i can think of is the spermarket stocking shelves or in a small shop....?

i wont be able to apply until the end of july cause i stupidly booked a holiday during the second last week so no one will take me on for 2 weeks and then ill have to take a weeks holidays!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I have a job! ANd it's a class one! I work when I want and it's easy peasy. I serve in a hotel at weddings and compny parties and the like. If I dont't want to work, I dont' have to! This weekend is the first time I've been told to work since Christmas. The only thing is pay is minimum wage, as in €6.06 :mad: There's good craic with everyone though. Now I have a job sorted until sometime in uni! Noice!

Jay P wrote: »
    I have a job! ANd it's a class one! I work when I want and it's easy peasy. I serve in a hotel at weddings and compny parties and the like. If I dont't want to work, I dont' have to! This weekend is the first time I've been told to work since Christmas. The only thing is pay is minimum wage, as in €6.06 :mad: There's good craic with everyone though. Now I have a job sorted until sometime in uni! Noice!

dont knock min wage some people dont get that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Some people don't get min wage? Isn't that desperately illegal?

During the JC I worked as a reader/superintmdamt. and now I'm working in a forensic engineer's office doing general officey type work. It's good money and fairly easy going, I like it. On Sundays I'm working in the pharmacy I've worked in since 4th year.

It is almost impossible to get a job this summer, so many of my friends have been looking since April and havent found anything, I'd say most jobs would be filled by now.

I guess you could always advertise in your area to do babysitting, parents might like someone to look after their kids during the day too.

• Advertisement

Piste wrote: »
    Some people don't get min wage? Isn't that desperately illegal?

During the JC I worked as a reader/superintmdamt. and now I'm working in a forensic engineer's office doing general officey type work. It's good money and fairly easy going, I like it. On Sundays I'm working in the pharmacy I've worked in since 4th year.

It is almost impossible to get a job this summer, so many of my friends have been looking since April and havent found anything, I'd say most jobs would be filled by now.

I guess you could always advertise in your area to do babysitting, parents might like someone to look after their kids during the day too.

yeah I know but people take what they can get around where I live atm

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I put out a rake of c.v's all around town in February and April. Not ONE response :mad:
    Very unlikely i'll get one at this stage. Argh. Need. Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

I dont mean to sound insensitive, but as long as enough people die around my town and I can keep singing at their funerals, I aint looking for another job till I go to college...Hello Harvard yooooo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Iv got a job in a bar... i dont think they like me tho... :(

I was working a night a week around April, and then when mid May rolled around i asked for a few weeks off for Leaving Cert and stuff. I dont think they took too kindly to that. And then on my first night back [they twisted my arm to come back the Saturday after Maths 1], I left early just so i wouldnt be sleep deprived that sunday, and so i could study.

So yeah... i think i might have to look for something else. if they hate me so

I think the Hanley Centre might still be looking for people, if you want give me a PM and I'll forward you the mobile number of the guy who looks after the jobs there. My mate is doing it she said it's pretty decent pay for a weeks work.

Chuggers?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I'll be the one giving the jobs if you know what I Nooo, don't have a job for the summer, and have no other plans to earn money as of yet. :)

Actually I wouldn't mind being a chugger. They might be scum but it seems kind of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

lmao...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

I was planning to do the fca for 4 weeks of the summer, but they said im unfit because i had diaverticulitus and.......................................FLAT FEET. I am now know as the flat footed retard. watch out, they're contagious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not planning to get a summer job.Take my time off and relax and then look for a job in September

Advertisement