Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone and broadband in Balbriggan

• 18-06-2008 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi, a friend running a home business in Balbriggan asked me about recomended internet providers. She insisted it is important for her that connection is not lost, and worried about wireless internet for that. What is available out there? High speed is not important, reliability and service are, as being unconnected can cost her loss of business.

Thanks in advance,

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Try in order 1st to last
    Smart
    UPC
    DSL (Eircom, UPC,Perlico etc)
    IBB Breeze (bb only)
    Digiweb

DONT TRY
    ibb ripwave
    o2
    vodafone
    claerwire
    satellite

Not sure who has coverage in bal briggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think it's eircom DSL and the DSL reseller like BT and UTV. Digiweb have fixed wireless in the town too I think, which needs no phone line.

ICE broadband may be about, but I would avoid if I were a resident of Balbriggan.

Eircom would probably be the best for reliability out of that lot, though my digiweb fixed wireless north of Drogheda has only been known to have died for 2 hours out of 2 years on a stormy night. It's much slower though, for the price you would pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Smart - not available
    UPC- not available
    DSL (Eircom, UPC,Perlico etc)
    IBB Breeze (bb only) - not available
    Digiweb - wireless not advisable

DONT TRY
    ibb ripwave
    o2
    vodafone
    claerwire
    satellite

These 6 are definitely not a good idea.

For the best reliability I'd have to say Eircom, although paying them extra for nearly the same service the other dsl providers provide is a hard pill to swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If she wants excellent, yet cheap reliability, I suggest that she gets a cheap DSL provider or eircom, depending, and then also get either a mobile broadband device as they're cheap enough or some sort of Fixed Wireless off Digiweb.

Between two connections, she would be sorted for internet connectivity. And the phone line would have the advantage of dial up internet for checking emails, if all came to all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

DSL would be your best bet.
    Mine is with BT as it was the cheapest combined for DSl and line rental.
    No complaints except about their inept billing dept.

vodafone and o2 3g cards work well.
    The digiweb "4g" ones work brilliantly.

Ice is available but I haven't heard anything good about the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭DJMG92

i would say BT are the best of what i have heard, I have a 6mb line with them in Balbriggan and its VERY reliable (when i had 1 it was crap)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Have DSL with BT for 3 years / Castleland area
    Works fine , no issues with billing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭poxon

Sorry for picking up so old thread, but I`m living in Balbriggan and I`m desperate to get a normal broadband. Im currently struggling with o2 mobile bb with 7,5 gb download limit (Me and my wife are using it just for browsing, and we still going over - usually til 8,5 gb so o2 is charging us average 55e per this pos) - so I am trying to get something better. Its almost 2010, my friends in Netherlands, Slovakia and Poland are on 120 Mbit connections from UPC and i cant get stupid 3 mb dsl line, and if I will get it - I will have to pay 25e just for stupid line rental (that is price for 25mb fibre in netherlands - for 50e u can get 90 mb, in slovakia 120 mb fibre costs 40e)
    Its not my intension to whine, but how can it be, that we have so horrible (not to mention most expensive in eu) bb here in Ireland :(
    Anyway - back to main subject - Ive tried to get bb with eircom but til now this is a joke - Ive ordered a line, because there was no connection at my place and til the end of august there was promotion so I could be connected for free. After calling eircom support and dealing with most stupid automated system Ive ever seen I was told that due to high demand I need to wait few weeks for technician to come. Few weeks passed, nobody showed up but they have send me a bill where theyve charged me for connection - even if it was on promotion.
    So are they any other alternatives in Balbriggan? any chance to get normal, at least 2-3 mbps bb? anyone has any experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

that can't be right poxon sure we're all geared up for the knowledge economy going forward don't ya know... :rolleyes:

we're screwed because eircom are broke... so real broadband rollout isn't going to happen anytime soon... the EU should have bribed us to vote yes to lisbon by paying for a ftth network :)

minikin wrote: »
    vote yes to lisbon by paying for a ftth network :)

I bet if this sentence would be used as an motto before voting they would be gettin 20% more votes for yes :D

• Advertisement

poxon wrote: »
    Sorry for picking up so old thread, but I`m living in Balbriggan and I`m desperate to get a normal broadband. Im currently struggling with o2 mobile bb with 7,5 gb download limit (Me and my wife are using it just for browsing, and we still going over - usually til 8,5 gb so o2 is charging us average 55e per this pos) - so I am trying to get something better. Its almost 2010, my friends in Netherlands, Slovakia and Poland are on 120 Mbit connections from UPC and i cant get stupid 3 mb dsl line, and if I will get it - I will have to pay 25e just for stupid line rental (that is price for 25mb fibre in netherlands - for 50e u can get 90 mb, in slovakia 120 mb fibre costs 40e)
    Its not my intension to whine, but how can it be, that we have so horrible (not to mention most expensive in eu) bb here in Ireland :(
    Anyway - back to main subject - Ive tried to get bb with eircom but til now this is a joke - Ive ordered a line, because there was no connection at my place and til the end of august there was promotion so I could be connected for free. After calling eircom support and dealing with most stupid automated system Ive ever seen I was told that due to high demand I need to wait few weeks for technician to come. Few weeks passed, nobody showed up but they have send me a bill where theyve charged me for connection - even if it was on promotion.
    So are they any other alternatives in Balbriggan? any chance to get normal, at least 2-3 mbps bb? anyone has any experience?

UPC are available in some parts of Balbriggan

Vico1612 wrote: »
    UPC are available in some parts of Balbriggan

Ive heard about it, but how can I know where? Ive called upc sale and they didnt tell me :(

poxon wrote: »
    Ive heard about it, but how can I know where? Ive called upc sale and they didnt tell me :(

I know it's available in moylaragh, colleague of mine has a 20meg line with UPC

Last time I called UPC, I was told Balbriggan would be done by Xmas ... but I wouldn't take their word :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

any one got an update on UPC services in Balbriggan? I might be moving there shortly an I can't bear to be torn away from my UPC connection

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

I was onto UPC and they havent got a time that broadband would be 100% available in Balbriggan, I need broadband and am moving towards getting Eircom as they have a promotion that they have 10 month free line rental if you reconnect to eircom, so its going to cost me €26 a month for 10 months, with free reconnection ,free wireless router and free calls off peak.You have to pay the full €50(inluding line rental) for the last 2 months of the 12 months and come then(one years time) hopefully UPC have broadband in balbriggan were I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

a friend of mine now has UPC in Chieftains Way in Balbriggan
    so you should definitely check with UPC again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

My brother in law also in Chieftans way was wondering about upc in Balbriggan a while back when he heard about the bundle i got. Must get onto him to ring and fins out what he's good for.

EDIT: I just rang them and your able to get the bundle(broadband,tv&phone) in chieftains way. Still better ring with your exact address to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Still cant get it in Clonuske where the brother is.

kopkidda wrote: »
    Still cant get it in Clonuske where the brother is.

Might only be a matter of time because they are currently laying fibre cable in Balbriggan according to the rep.

My brother in law also in Chieftans way was wondering about upc in Balbriggan a while back when he heard about the bundle i got. Must get onto him to ring and fins out what he's good for.

EDIT: I just rang them and your able to get the bundle(broadband,tv&phone) in chieftains way. Still better ring with your exact address to confirm.

Re-edit!
    He just got a call through the boards offer and was in the process of ordering the 50MB bundle but was told that 25MB is the limit and HD isnt available. Now he could easily live with the 25 instead of 50 considering hes on 3MB or something with eircom but the no HD tv box was a deal breaker.
    He was initially told by a rep that he was good for the 50MB bundle and had cancelled sky before he went to order through UPC!.

• Advertisement
Advertisement